linwal48

Hanging art

linwal48
11 år siden
I just need to know if there's a rule on hanging pictures by the same artist together. My husband thinks they should be hung together(they are all in different frames, one being white). I disagree and think they should be hung wherever we want. Thank you.
Linda Waller

(15) kommentarer

• nasmijati
    11 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}11 år siden
    My mother had a degree in Fine Art. I inherited her large portfolio of paintings. Frames and mats were chosen to enhance each painting. The frames and mats for the watercolors do not match each other. Neither do the frames and linen liners for the oil paintings.

I have up to five pieces of art by my Mom and by other artists in each room. I placed them by color, topic, and/or emotion in the different living spaces.

Other Houzzers will have different ideas. Take from this what you will.
  • latifeh hammad
    11 år siden
    There is no rule but color coordination
  • linwal48
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    Thank you for the comments latife and ezlia. The white frame just looks so out of place with the darker wood frames.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 år siden
    You could always re-frame to bring the one painting into the group...I like spreading things out though.
  • pixelsmash
    11 år siden
    When you are hanging original work by artists, you are in effect curating your collection. You have been given an added consideration in that the frames are different. When one artist makes a series of works which is interrelated through subject or style, generally the framing defers quietly to the importance of the actual work. The pieces are hung so that they may be cross referenced, especially if the artist's intention is to exhibit them, more especially in post-modernist work, and post- post- modernist work to what ever the heck I'm making now.

If these works all reference similar subject matter, perhaps the artist sold the canvasses unframed, without the intention to exhibit them at one time, if ever, which presents the question of their age.
    Since all these frames are different, is it because they were framed at different times and present some chronology of the artist's work?

Frames and mattes are not used to put another color around a work which was made by another artist, but rather to reinforce the intrinsic sensibility perceived therein and to protect the work itself. Of course, many artists lack the cash flow necessary for first rate framing, and if they make the work for themselves, may not care anyway, because something else has them fascinated, and the work can always be framed later.

Linda, your observation that the works which were made by one artist, in all these different frames indicates that there other unknown variables which we are unable to ascertain here. We don't even know the size of the canvasses. If you think that the white frame would dominate the others, separate that work until you have a better idea as to your course of action. Can you cluster three? Play with them. Keep them spaced well away from real things (light switches, etc) . Real things in too close a proximity to an image can too easily distract from that image, which is in itself, ephemeral.

I hang work lower than is the historical norm, never use the "salon" style, and most crucially maintain wall color within a warm but neutral grey, where artwork predominates in formal settings, like the living room, dining room areas. I intend to use heavier values with more color saturation elsewhere, like the kitchen. Yum. I'm glad you have these painted treasures, within the collected work of one artist. They are your babies, now! You make the rules for your wards.
  • linwal48
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    pixelsmash, thank you for all the facts on placiing art. It is a big help.
  • elcieg
    11 år siden
    From one who loves my collection of oils, I hang them at a position that affords a broad overall view. In my home, I have two sofas perpindicular to my fireplace with a solid wall behind each sofa. Each of those walls is a gallery so I and my guests get to enjoy my passion.

Point: hang them and enjoy them.
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    11 år siden
    As an artist, I would rather you display my art in a way you can enjoy it more. I think, if you incorporate the art you have into your overall decor, taking framing into consideration, your home will look beautiful and balanced and you will enjoy the entire experience of being there and looking at art a lot more. I presume you like all your art already, of course... Raisa
  • PRO
    Judy Jacobs Art
    11 år siden
    If there's a written rule on this, I certainly have not seen it before! I am an artist and an art collector and I can tell you I collect multiple pieces from artists and do not hang them together. I purchase the work for a certain wall/area and let the surrounding furniture/accessories be my guide. Sometimes a room ends up with a set of paintings/sculptures paired together and sometimes (more often than not) they don't.
  • studio10001
    11 år siden
    Pixelsmash, you are going to make everyone cry. Beautifully said - and maybe your daughter would like to hear it, as well - I bet she misses you, too.
  • pixelsmash
    11 år siden
    Thanks, stu-stu-studio! Of course I tell her and her lovely little family, too. We brave the prevailing winds often in flights across the country. Here's my grandson "Runs with Dodge" discovering the concept of persistence of vision, through a slat fence in Calgary, and a couple of shots of the garden I made for "Runs with Dodge" here in the " Hammer". I used Pencross bent grass for the tiny lawn which is surrounded by raised beds with grasses, perennials and favorite trees. I did quite a bit of stone and brickwork for paths, so "R.w. D" has a route at the front through this almost secret miniature botanical garden. That awning, however, should make a fine sled down the Sherman Cut right up to " Mr. Used"...lean left...catch'ya later, won/tripple/zeero/won.
  • linwal48
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    Everyone has such great suggestions. Very interesting ideas and I think I will do as you all say; just enjoy them.
  • pixelsmash
    11 år siden
    Two bees or not two bees; I see everything twice.
  • studio10001
    11 år siden
    King of cherubs and his bee-utiful subjects!! Night,all.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.