michiganmama

Brick house, black shutters, what color door?

michiganmama
7 år siden

We had to replace our black door and are debating whether to paint it light to medium green, a buttery yellow, or possibly blue. Advised to keep it light to avoid the "greenhouse effect" with the storm door. Suggestions?

Thanks all!

(21) kommentarer

• Bev
    7 år siden

Green will look great with your color of brick!

michiganmama thanked Bev
  • calidesign
    7 år siden

I would make it a warm, dark, rust red. Use the darkest red in your brick - not a bright red like your paint chip. Or a very dark olive green, not the blue/green on your sample.

michiganmama thanked calidesign
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden
    If you keep storm door white, then just paint front door white too. It looks cream? If you paint door a another color, the storm door is going to look odd. You could see if you could paint storm door black. What greenhouse affect are you getting?
    michiganmama thanked Flo Mangan
  • Em Bee
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

I would remove the decor door shutters. Let's face it...it doesn't make sense. You cannot close shutters over two doors. I would remove the storm door altogether too and paint the exterior door a pretty salmon orangey pink colour. Leave the black shutters at the window. Get bigger more square coach lamps and an attractive welcome cocoa mat for in front of the door. On either side of the doorway, see if you can get a couple of urns and put some boxwood bushes in there...or once winter comes, a couple of seasonally decorative ones.

michiganmama thanked Em Bee
  • michiganmama
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thank you. Our builder said on a sunny day, the heat can intensify between storm glass and door and cause issues with the paint. We like the breeze you get with a storm door. I voted for full glass but was overruled.

• jck910
    7 år siden

Can you post a picture from further back of the whole front of the house. I'm thinking all the shutters should be removed.

• Irene Morresey
    7 år siden
    I think they look better both the same colour. Could you get your storm door painted to match door to the colour you choose, I think they powder coat it
    michiganmama thanked Irene Morresey
  • PRO
    Eye to Eye Interiors, LLC
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

I love what a pop of color does at the front door. So welcoming! But to have a cohesive look, definitely paint your storm door to match. I also vote for taking down the door shutters and framing the space with tall urns filled with boxwood or evergreens. New, larger sconces are a good idea too. I pictured Kichler's 9653TZ
    Tannery Bronze Madison Single Light 20" Tall Outdoor Wall Sconce for you. They're a better scale than what you have and attach at a lower point so the lamp is situated a bit higher (the ones you have now attach pretty low and you don't want them to hang lower). I mocked up four colors for you - red, blue, celadon and teal for fun (notice, no yellow - it just didn't feel right to me). I hope it helps to picture the possibilities. Best of luck to you! Be sure to post your "after" pic!

michiganmama thanked Eye to Eye Interiors, LLC
  • Em Bee
    7 år siden

Hello...when we lived on Lake Huron we too loved the breeze so we put a full screen door on, but removed it over the winter. I suggested a lighter rosy salmon colour paint for your door from a tone in the brick colour and perhaps the white door would look fine over top. :) Then have large white planters on either side of the doorway with boxwood or what ever a garden center suggests to bring the white there as well. Definitely remove the doorway shutters though...and get larger, more chunky side lanterns. :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden
    Of the mock ups red door is best with this home. Both storm and door. Powder coating is key. Full glass would have been best choice for storm door. But alas the sacrifices we make.
  • PRO
    Aguilar Landscaping
    7 år siden

I would do a yellow or beige it would bring out the color in the brick

michiganmama thanked Aguilar Landscaping
  • Em Bee
    7 år siden

But the windows have white siding underneath...they can't be ignored. I think a brighter actual colour needs to go on the door.

• grapefruit1_ar
    7 år siden

Yes to the red door and storm door!

michiganmama thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • michiganmama
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thanks. I find myself leaning back toward red, with yellow a dark(light?)-horse favorite. Any recommendations on specific shades of red that work well with the brick? Thanks for the input.

• Em Bee
    7 år siden

My door is Ben Moore Dinner Party Red...I love it! Might work for you...

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden
    Dinner party is good. It is a bit dark but would work with your black shutters. Another choice is BM Caliente. It is a bit brighter. You can go on line to their website and check them out. You can upload a picture of your home and put colors on the door to see what it will look like. Not perfect, but gives you good feel. Then get samples, and make test boards before you decide. The light on your door makes a big difference. Good luck.
  • Em Bee
    7 år siden

Michiganmama...what about soft blue planters...with the red brick and door, white accents, I think planted to a variety of colourful flowers (next year) would look very nice. This colour would also look great with all seasonal plantings especially autumn with the oranges, golds and rusts...

• ladma
    7 år siden
    We have a dark red door with a storm, faces west. We put the screen in when the weather warms up, for us it's April, then put the glass back in around October. We've never had problem with the paint other than the normal fading.
    michiganmama thanked ladma
  • Kris Mays
    7 år siden

Teal please!

michiganmama thanked Kris Mays
  • Em Bee
    7 år siden

Well Michiganmama...what colour door did you choose??

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.