timglidden

Backsplash ideas ?? Paint cabinets?

timglidden
7 år siden
Just bought this house .... Already changed out pendants.. (Not shown in pic).

Trying to go more industrial / modern. Cabinets are solid wood and only a yr old... Should we paint white or grey and remove uppers for shelving?
Also doing new backsplash.... What color with the black granite ?

Two options leave cabinet color or paint Gray or white. If you leave the cabinets what color backsplash would you do? If we paint the cabinets gray or white what color backsplash would you do? keep in mind we are leaving the black granite.
Should we paint cabinets

(77) kommentarer

• Darzy
    7 år siden

No paint color, stain or different shelving will make your traditional cabinets look industrial modern or even contemporary. I agree losing valuable cabinet space in a tiny kitchen is a mistake. I think we all agree that a new backsplash will make you feel better about the kitchen. Perhaps a new stainless steel faucet?

Premier Essen Lead Free Commercial Style Pull-Down Kitchen Faucet in Chrome · Mere information

• Darzy
    7 år siden

PS..The cabinet height bothers you so go ahead a get molding for the upper cabinets. It will add about 4" to the height.

• timglidden
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thinking this look... I guess it's not really Industrial more farmhouse modern?
  • timglidden
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    A few more inspiration pics...
  • Darzy
    7 år siden

Can you make your shelves at least 14 in x 17in? I think that is the smallest microwave footprint. BTW...it appears you would really like to paint the cabinets. If you do, I vote a medium gray for some contrast with the counter. Then, the stainless steel backsplash and stainless shelving flanking the stove vent.

Oster 0.7 Cubic Foot Compact Microwave Oven · Mere information

• timglidden
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Yes I have a microwave to the right of stove now on counter it will just fit... Or I could hide it in the bottom of cabinet mounts sideways.

Not a big fan of stainless backsplash. Would white with grey grout work even if I leave the wood cabs or too stark?
  • timglidden
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Not a big fan of stainless backsplash. Would white subway tile with grey grout still work with the wood cabs? Or too stark.
  • timglidden
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    If we leave cabinets how about this dark grey glass tile?
  • Pajarito
    7 år siden

I think either the dark grey glass tile or white subway with grey grout would look real nice in your kitchen. I would tile the entire wall to the ceiling so there are no breaks/lines for a nice modern look.

• jhmarie
    7 år siden

If you decide to go with white or cream, you can wait with the grout decision. The look before the tile is grouted will give you an idea of what the contrasting grout would look like. My kitchen is a different style from yours, but if you click on the pic you can see that the wall to the left is not grouted yet and has a different look than the grouted wall.

My pics -work in progress: · Mere information

Here are a couple of pics with the tile going up the wall with wood:

To be honest, while one can try to force gray to work with warm wood tones, it often looks drab if too much is used. I would go with gray grout rather than gray tile - just adds some gray along with stainless appliances.

I am working on my basement kitchenette and made rustic shelves very inexpensively if you enjoy a little DIY. Pics in my idea book.

• Kathy Yata
    7 år siden

I'd remove backsplash and cabinets from the range wall and put up open metal shelving with deep ones above the frig. You will get the microwave off the counter, a huge plus. Put shelves high enough that you need a step stool to reach the top shelf and place bulky lightweight unbreakable easily cleaned stuff up there, large bowls and baking pans, definitely not baskets or head busting cast iron pots. Use organizers to keep all the baking sheets, cutting boards and such tidy up high as well.

Behind it all do tile it it with larger plain rather than smaller tiles as it's a large area and would get real busy looking real fast. I'd do white with pale gray grout. You might go with something larger than subway tile but not smaller like the ones on the board you posted.

This along with your new pendants is industrial enough then leave the nice sink base alone. Painting it is only going to make the rope detail stand out which is pretty much the opposite of the look you are going for. If the finish is damaged then paint but it is fine for now. I would also paint the white base board, that's pretty odd looking. I like the floor with your plan, all straight lines.

If you box up spices and other small items then open shelves will work beautifully but closed cabinets do hold more if you don't use a box. I am loving having all those stray spice bottles and such in bins so I lift it down, rummage to find the one I need rather than rummage through a shelf. Do the same for small items you need close at hand too but not anything sharp - see cast iron warning above.

• timglidden
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Tile off going subway White....since my ceiling is sloped can I go halfway up the wall?
  • PRO
    The Stitt Group
    7 år siden

Will echo many suggestions above, so I guess it's more of a vote! Lose the cabinets, you obviously want the open shelves. I'd paint remaining cabinets a grey that will downplay the style. You might incorporate a hanging devise of some sort in lieu of one of the open shelves, and definitely tile all the way up the wall--I like the white subway with gray grout, but the glass tiles are really reflective which might be nice. That floor tile design is crazy busy!

• Pajarito
    7 år siden

Not sure what you mean by half way up the wall? I see from your photos of the kitchen your wall to the ceiling is on an angle. I would bring tile all the way to the ceiling line. One of your inspiration pics has the same look.

• everdebz
    7 år siden

Looking at portion of floor border, I'd not emphasize with grey grout - unless very subtle???? cause dark will 'show' so much. I wonder if your house would look good with iron/ metal pipe as supports for shelving.... I don't know why someone mentioned hanging shelves.... got me thinking.

• everdebz
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Keeping dark counters? so you have plenty of contrast with flooring too - I'd keep grout contrast low or none.

• jhmarie
    7 år siden

If the slope of your ceiling goes up really high, you can stop even with the top of the cabinets, or another natural stopping point - possibly even with the crown molding, but impossible to make that decision unless standing in the room. Stop even with the cabinet tops and see what you think. If you need to go higher you can, but don't overwhelm the space either.

• timglidden
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Here's the progress so far....
  • jhmarie
    7 år siden

You work really fast! It took me days to get my backsplash done:)

It is looking good.

timglidden thanked jhmarie
  • timglidden
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

next is grout in the am......thinking lighter grey grout still....

its a toss up on painting cabinets....ill go dark if I do paint them to hide the rope detail.....

looking at building some deep shelfs with industrial pipe....

• everdebz
    7 år siden

Nice. So a little left to right of hood?

• timglidden
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

yes a little left and then grout.....:)

• everdebz
    7 år siden

Ok nice to hear about pipe. Upper above frig - what about painting with chalk paint, or chalkboard paint - to blend with frig tone? I'm assuming there's no uppers [except that?] This painted frig looks well aged/ faded, maybe for that upper..... in other words, would you want just 1 wood tone on that wall idk?

Carpenter Street Investment Property · Mere information

• everdebz
    7 år siden

You have mentioned trad, details like rope, etc...so Idk if good, but have you seen stainless steel sheet over cabinet [more often backsplash I think]? to cover upper.

• timglidden
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

no other uppers above fridge and thought it would make fridge look too exposed could add a filler panel beside fridge...... ?

• timglidden
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

yeah not sure how the rope and other trad details will look paint. but not a fan of the cabinets as is so doesn't hurt to try.....

• everdebz
    7 år siden

Found a modified industrial metal look. Not sure either about real plumbing parts....

Indian Queen Lane · Mere information

• everdebz
    7 år siden

Probably tmi - Laura Bohn Design Associates: "Find sheet metal at restaurant fabricators, make sure the edges are hemmed, turned under." And what will island be of?

Seattle Residence, WA · Mere information

• everdebz
    7 år siden

Your post just came through that you'll have no uppers even over frig.

• PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    7 år siden

Here is a design we did that might just help with your progress.

Issaquah Kitchen · Mere information

Issaquah Kitchen · Mere information

• timglidden
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Here's some of the progress.... Wall was pretty wavy and uneven for tile so we stopped 3/4 way up....
  • everdebz
    7 år siden

Simply pretty pendants show their shape, and hood has simple look.... Ok for 1 upper. How's it seem -- and you have a bit older house? or you're in earthquake territory? yikes idk.

• everdebz
    7 år siden

Yeh, just remembered your flooring's borders also have a simple sort of geometric emphasis, would you say? lines....

• timglidden
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Older house.... It's he way the Sheetrock was done...
  • timglidden
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    I think it looks night and day.... Might leave the cabinets stained for a bit....
  • everdebz
    7 år siden

:) Nice that you like it. The stain adds warmth. Grey paint nearby echoes to me s.steel. But wood is good. oh ya.

• everdebz
    7 år siden

I had to glance at original, and yes very different! Congrats on a job well done!

• susanalanandwrigley
    7 år siden

It looks great. Personally I would really miss the storage in that small kitchen, but if you can live without it, this is a really nice look. Although it is too bad you could not remove the granite backsplash, I don't particularly like the look of the two together.

• Darzy
    7 år siden

I does look great! Do me a favor and put a bulb in that center pendant! lol I like the cabinets as they are. In fact, staining/painting the above beams may give the space more warmth and style.

Wood beams...

The Bradner Residence · Mere information

• timglidden
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Also replacing the hanging chandelier/ light between the white support posts.

What would you all suggest? Match the pendants or something else ?? Maybe a semi flush industrial fixture ? Or something else.... It's the first think you see when you walk in front door...

Btw here are the new kitchen pendants. And yes I had to order a new Edison bulb as a few came broken on my first shipment....
  • Jennifer Havin
    7 år siden
    looks great, yes find a cool chandelier
    did you decide on doing anything to island? any tile left over? ;)
  • timglidden
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    As far as the island center panel.... I'm thinking Reclaimed wood would look too busy unless I paint cabinets. Any other ideas? Should I tile that center space ?
  • everdebz
    7 år siden

So the light hangs directly over the half wall? Posting this cause seems the shape of the opening. Course different shape than island's [prob. finish too].

Murray Feiss Ethan 2-Light Mini Pendant, Antique Forged Iron-Brushed Steel · Mere information

• everdebz
    7 år siden

The soffit-type on adjoining wall - did you consider tiling up to that height? - which would bring it to the vent..... yike sorry.

• timglidden
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

i did consider it but the sheetrock wasn't very level....need to rework a few things before I do that.....

anyone have suggestions on where to buy good open kitchen shelfs?

• Pajarito
    7 år siden

Google floating shelves on Etsy lots of choices, I think you can find what you are looking for there.

• timglidden
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Here are a few updated pictures .... what color shelving ? Stainless wood or white? And what kind of cabinet hardware ?
  • everdebz
    7 år siden

Hey! Are those oars on the wall.... anyway, what for shelves: in one way with enough black lines and elements varied, a 'disappearing white' maybe. Or bit lighter version of the wood stain. How many shelves?

I'm thinking stainless steel as sister look to the hood.

• everdebz
    7 år siden

??

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.