leighcliburn

Tired corner

leighcliburn
7 år siden

Should I paint or stain these tired corner cabinets?

(13) kommentarer

• leighcliburn
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Tired cabinet
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 år siden

Corner cabinets take away the "breathing space" in dining rooms and hold almost nothing. This one is very Colonial in style and unless your home is committed to the Colonial style I would remove it.

• leighcliburn
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    It doesn't hold much but without them I have no storage for crystal. I hate to remove them.
  • torreykm
    7 år siden

If they're not fine, antique pieces - go ahead and paint them the color of your trim.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 år siden

Auntthelma, I have an appreciation of a Model T Ford automobiles, but I wouldn't want to be forced to drive it everyday in the 21st century because it doesn't meet my needs.

I feel the same with corner cabinets. They were created at a time when people had small china pieces and tea services. I can appreciate the cabinets, but unless the house is truly Colonial in style and the cabinets are appropriate, they don't function well for 21st Century families. It might be your preference to live in a museum, but most families don't want that.

• Judy Mishkin
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

my issue is with those corner cabinets, not all corner cabinets. the lack of depth on the pediment cut out makes me recall the faux building fronts in old west towns.

paint them a color you like if they are doing the job for you, remove them if they arent. but they arent looking original to a 20s house which is the ones i'm familiar with so you dont have to feel bad about committing crimes against history.

• Danielle Black
    7 år siden
    Dark blue or charcoal if you want to keep and change them
  • PRO
    The Stitt Group
    7 år siden

I agree with removing the top scrollwork--to me it would be more visually pleasing with more focus on the lines with the window being the only curve. And for color--you feel it's tired, maybe you should paint it something bright and happy!

• leighcliburn
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Should I have it built to ceiling? I am having crown moulding done soon.
  • flopsycat1
    7 år siden

Simple answer: paint them the color of your trim in a gloss or semigloss finish.

if, in a month or two you don't like them or they don't suit your needs, remove them and purchase a free-standing piece of furniture in which to store your crystal.

• Judy Mishkin
    7 år siden

if you love how they function then taking them to the ceiling will make them look a lot more real. do them in the trim/crown paint color, and make sure whoever is doing the job makes them look right; look at a lot of pictures so you really can tell them exactly what you want.

• User
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

I would not build to the ceiling....The area above the glass door will look like an afterthought. I would paint it to freshen up the look.

Definitely remove the scrollwork.

I think corners are useless anyway and a cabinet is great storage there.

(OT: I think also that people should have the guts to leave up their comments....)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.