meghan_emricson

Remodeling kitchen and living room- need help with paint!

Meghan Emricson
7 år siden

Hello!

We are about to rip down our walls and put up drywall in the living room, as the walls are panels. We just recently painted the kitchen Benjamin Moore's "Guilford Green", and I need help choosing a color for an accent wall (so far I like Benjamin Moore's "Whitall Brown"or their "Shadow Gray"), and a color for the rest of the walls (I was thinking a very light beige-y tan color).

I think I'm leading more towards an earthy color scheme, or one with a grey for the accent wall.

Any other ideas on paint colors that would go with the Guilford Green? It's a very unique color and I'm not very good at coming up with color schemes.

Here are a few pictures of the Guilford Green in the kitchen:

and here are the walls I was going to paint with the accent color:

and here are a few of the walls that would be the light beige type color:

So excited to get all of this done, so much stuff is getting updated!! After this project is over, were tackling the guest bathroom, which will need to be drywalled and needs updated cabinets as well. We are also planning on replacing the floor in the bathrooms, as the tile is outdated

(5) kommentarer

• mzapper
    7 år siden

why not go with colours they recommend as good matches?

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-ca/paint-color/guilfordgreen

• PRO
    Kendall Parker Design Group
    7 år siden

Hi there.....

So, the accent wall is in the kitchen? Does your kitchen window face NSE or W? This is important, as if it faces North, the kitchen will be dark most of the time. If South or West, will be brighter in the evening. It is very important to understand how you "live" in the space. If no one home during the week, not a big deal, but cane be gloomy on the weekends. Accent walls are outdated. Make sure your colors flow into each room. Consider all types of lighting in each room, natural and otherwise, also the furniture colors and flooring. Have you spoken to a professional?

• PRO
    The Stitt Group
    7 år siden

Great idea, mzapper! Since you mentioned liking the gray for the accent wall, you could use the second recommended card with the 'Shadow Gray' and the 'Aloe Vera' for your more neutral walls. I know you said you were thinking about a 'beige' of sorts, but this color has a slight hint of blue to it that really does look terrific with your green, and beige might end up looking more yellow next to it, kind of like the color you have currently.

• Meghan Emricson
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

The wall I was planning to be an accent wall is in the living room, it's all connected. The kitchen itself is W/N/E with the walls being Left/Middle/Right if that makes sense. The accent wall is a east wall, the same as the right side of the kitchen

I do like the Shadow grey that they reccomend as the completing color, I just don't like the Aloe Vera, I think it's too much green and would like a non green color.

I also bought a sample of the "country life" that they recommend as the other option for accent color, and that was not a good looking color in my opinion. It was very very dark, and again, was more green.

I haven't spoken to a professional yet, as I'm having trouble finding an affordable person in my area. We need to do a lot to the house, and paying hundred of dollars for a designers opinion at this point would offset the rest we had planned.

• PRO
    Kendall Parker Design Group
    7 år siden

Hello Meghan, agree with you. Country life would not be it. Can you take a few more pictures of the window walls? Let me try to make this simple:

1. Are the rooms you are painting, in the front of the house or the back?

2. Take your cell phone, open your compass icon, and stand looking out the front door

3. Point the phone straight out the door, the compass will state NSE or West or some variation

To give you an idea, the front of my house faces North, therefore the back of the house faces South. The front of the house has a living room, foyer of course, and down the hallway are the bedrooms. It is never really bright in these rooms.

The back of the house contains the dining room, kitchen, and family room. All rooms face South, with windows looking into the back yard. All pretty bright during the day. In the winter when the trees loose their leaves we laugh that we could almost paint the walls black and it would still be bright. The one side of my home faces West, which is nice, but with no windows, doesn't afford any setting suns or natural light. Do you see where I'm going here? The window walls are never going to reflect any natural light, since the nature light will bounce off the opposite walls of your windows. This is important so you get a true color perspective. Painting dark rooms a dark color, unless a powder room, will depress the room and make it look like a cave. I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. A lot of cloudy days, so I am very sensitive to my Clients need for insuring they are happy. Most people enjoy bright spaces in the areas they spend most of their day and early evening. Will wait to here from you once your homework is complete. Enjoy

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.