kwimmer122

What kind of mirror should I hang?

Kimberly Wimmer
7 år siden
We are going to have a farmhouse table with a light wood top and white base up against this bench. It just hasn't been made yet. The black mirror is from before our kitchen remodel. It's off center because that's where the table used to be. We had a bench built during the remodel. Since our ceilings are vaulted I'm not sure what to hang up over the bench. You can see the light will be in front of it. I would really like to have a mirror there because our kitchen isn't very big and it will make the room feel roomie. The lantern with the lights is just there to keep my son from climbing up there. please give me ideas on what to hang up over the bench whether it be just a mirror or a mirror with other decor. Should I keep the lantern or maybe put some kind of plant with greenery to warm it up? I will be putting cushions on the bench but I don't know what color I want. I would love color ideas. I was thinking a pattern but I'm open to anything. Thanks for your help.

(36) kommentarer

• mzapper
    7 år siden

can you post a pic of the table? will be helpful for recommending cushion fabric, art and fixture. I wouldn't go with the mirror - it's just reflecting back kitchen cupboards. Think a different light fixture (does not seem to go with the look you are going for) and some art - no need for anything where the lantern is...can you post a pic of the dining room or whatever that room is next to kitchen?

• mzapper
    7 år siden

and meant to also say....it is a gorgeous kitchen!

• Kimberly Wimmer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    I don't have the table since it hasn't been made yet. It will have a light wood top. A natural or driftwood top and a white base. The mirror that's there right now it's going to go. I only have it hanging up there because I haven't bought a new one to change it out yet. On the other side of the kitchen I have one small window and a skylight. The room behind our pony wall is a TV/family room. There isn't another dining area. Thanks for the compliment on the kitchen I like it too.
  • Kimberly Wimmer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Here is the other side of my kitchen.
  • PRO
    The Stitt Group
    7 år siden

Instead of an actual mirror, you could use mirror art! Sometimes they come in various shapes/sizes (such as circles) that you could put randomly on that wall to brighten it up. That could be combined with a colorful piece of art on the same wall. For bench pillows, pull a neutral out of the counter top and combine with whatever accent color you like. I would also think about the possibility of replacing the light fixture to something more in keeping with your vision. A plant would be nice too, maybe even a vertical install towards the corner where you currently have the lantern.

• PRO
    The Stitt Group
    7 år siden

Love that kitchen!

• Kimberly Wimmer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    I thought about that same idea with combining the mirrors and making it into art but I haven't found anything. Do you have any suggestions where to look for some? would you go white frames, dark frames or anything in between? What kind of light would you hang over the table?
  • Danielle Black
    7 år siden
    Here's a few ideas
  • Kimberly Wimmer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Would you just hang a trellis mirror over the bench with no other decor?
  • mzapper
    7 år siden

why not get something that adds to the farmhouse look of the table you are having made? something rustic/wood? larger than a horizontal mirror - something that actually fill the space? any type of mirror is just reflecting your cupboards so don't think it makes the space look larger or adds any sort of visual appeal.

• Kimberly Wimmer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    mzapper do you have any suggestions? I'm open.
  • Danielle Black
    7 år siden
    I would do a mirror and a light fixture and patterned bench cushions
  • Kimberly Wimmer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Does anyone have recommendations where I can get the material for the bench cushions? I need something that is wipeable since I'll have 5 little kids sitting on them.
  • pitbulls
    7 år siden

I like your mirror. I would move it more to the center of the wall. I see some turquoise blue on a stand. That would look good in a cushion color for your seating. Pretty space.

• Turid Knutsen-Løvik
    7 år siden
    If you do want a mirror, I would go for a circular one since this corner has a lot of angles. Soften it a bit.
  • katinparadise
    7 år siden

I would look at Sunbrella outdoor fabric for your bench cushions. It's practically indestructible and easy to wipe clean. Here's a link to the fabric. There are tons of colors and prints available. http://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Home-Fabric/Decor-and-Upholstery-Fabric/Brand/Sunbrella/type/Products?order=custitem_popularity

• acm
    7 år siden

I would hate to sit at the table facing a mirror... a vote for art!

• User
    7 år siden

Maybe use more than one mirror in that space to help brighten it up there.

or a nice big colorful canvas art piece could be placed there. It really depends on the amount of natural light in that area of the room. Really nice kitchen!

• Trem Wills
    7 år siden
    Very nice kitchen! I think Danielle's pics give some perfect ideas.
  • er612
    7 år siden

Why not center your existing mirror?

• Danielle Black
    7 år siden
    You could do art as well here's a few things I saw
  • Danielle Black
    7 år siden
    Another cushion
  • Kimberly Wimmer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Beverly that's the exact table we were looking at making. I love the light as well. All the other lights in our kitchen are brush nickel. I'm debating whether I should change out all the lights.
  • Kimberly Wimmer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thanks everyone for all the great help. Family is really important to us so I really want to make our home comfortable and inviting. This helps a lot. I'm still not sure about colors. I love blue.
  • User
    7 år siden
    No mirror where people are eating, nobody wants to see themselves eat. A colorful piece of art you love would look great. Sunbrella or Perennials commercial grade, indoor fabric is stain resistant and very durable. My daughter just had a custom banquette built and did custom seat and back cushions out of a beautiful blue Sunbrella fabric. It's not like you see on outdoor chairs, it's used in all kinds of high end upholstery now. Sofas are often done in it and you could never tell it was not a beautiful velvet or linen. A good workroom who make custom pillows will be able to make a template and sew them for you.
  • torreykm
    7 år siden

Sunbrella (or similar fabric) is a great option for your cushions. What color is in your family room (drapes/upholstery, etc.)?

Agree with everyone - art over your banquette. Do you live in a coastal area? Nautical charts are nice. Antique maps, florals, landscapes?

Three of these placed horizontally.

Charts, maps, etc.

Your kitchen is beautiful!

• Kimberly Wimmer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    So I didn't even think about the mirror and not wanting to see yourself eat. I have to agree with that. I tested it out and where the mirror is right now it's too high to see yourself in it while you are sitting. I had my husband who is tall sit in a chair and he couldn't see himself. I'm remodeling my whole house and I don't have any colors picked out but, I know I will use blue. The only problem is I like blue so much I want to use it everywhere. I would like to change up the colors a bit. Any other color options you guys can think of. I am amazed at the response I've gotten. I really appreciate it!
  • Kimberly Wimmer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    I should clarify that I do have neutrals picked out. I have white, grey, and black. I will also be adding light wood tones to match the grey wood floor that I have.
  • User
    7 år siden

I once had a mirror on one if my kitchen walls. It wasn't as big a space as u have n if I were to guess I was about 20 x 30. It wasn't a problem n I think it was because u have to remember hat it's not at a level where u r sitting. Hence u aren't really seeing much of yourself. . But even so I think a nice piece of art that has colors that u like would make that area pop. If it's a great piece then it will make u smile each time u sit for ur meals. :)

• Kimberly Wimmer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    I was thinking about combining the two with the mirror and the pictures. Having a nice mirror in the middle and then two pictures hung vertically on either side. Do you think that could work? I really like the idea of having color on the wall. That way I get both.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Kimberly all the tables are from Overstock and I was trying to find something to coordinate with the wood appearance of your floor so the driftwood, greyish tones of the tables seem to work in your space.

As for the light, it's not expensive, but I thought the black of the fixture and the lines on the shades provided a little contrast to your room. You know every rooms needs a touch of black for a little drama.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/World-Imports-Brisbane-Collection-8-light-Chandelier/6291053/product.html

• J D
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Something like either or these w beverlys pictures and limes?

• J D
    7 år siden
    The chandelier doesn't really scream farmhouse, so you might wanna go a different direction if you don't wanna change it
  • Kimberly Wimmer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    I'm going for a modern Farmhouse look. My floor is a rustic grey wood tile. My walls are light grey with white cabinets. I don't have any warm colors.
  • anthip
    7 år siden

Do you need a mirror there? It's reflecting the kitchen. I think some art would be a better fit.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.