ddupont47

what should be bought first - a livingroom rug or the sofa?

Marie Bee
7 år siden

My husband insists we buy a rug before we buy our sofa, I say it's easier to buy the sofa then match a rug to it.

(35) kommentarer

• PRO
    User
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Definitely purchase sofa first. There are a lot more factors to consider when purchasing a couch compared to a rug.

Marie Bee thanked User
  • User
    7 år siden

Give hubby a kiss and tell him to concentrate on the best sofa for your space and lifestyle. There are many, many rugs that will be a good fit.

Marie Bee thanked User
  • Barbara Travis
    7 år siden

Select the sofa, you have to sit on a lot of sofas & try them out before you find the one that suits you & your family. There area plenty of rugs to choose from but selecting the perfect sofa is the top priority. Good luck.

Marie Bee thanked Barbara Travis
  • emmarene9
    7 år siden

I agree with husband.

Marie Bee thanked emmarene9
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 år siden

A sofa first how would you even know what size rug until the sofa is bought

Marie Bee thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • gtcircus
    7 år siden
    Well, it depends on the quality of the rug you are buying. If you intend to purchase a high quality Persian rug, then you pick the rug you love first. One does not buy a sofa first and then try to match it with a Persian rug. One buys the rug one loves and then everything goes with it, including the furniture. Persian rugs are works of art that you get to walk on. If you are purchasing a less expensive alternative with pattern, again, I would focus on finding a rug that you love. If you are installing wall to wall carpet, then go find your furniture first.
    Marie Bee thanked gtcircus
  • gtcircus
    7 år siden
    And if you are interested in Persian rugs, please check out local auctions and estate sales before purchasing anything. I would also spend some time learning about the rugs and deciding on what you both like. I have been collecting Persian rugs for 30+ years and while I like the modern transitional look, I also like mixing more modern things with my antiques. No sisal compares with a well executed antique Tabriz, Serapi or Kerman.
  • User
    7 år siden

Both at once.

Choose the rug for colours, take the sofa colour from the rug.

Choose the sofa for size. The rug has to be big enough for all the seating including the sofa, to have its front feet on the rug.

Marie Bee thanked User
  • mindshift
    7 år siden

You can build a room design around any furnishing, be it a sofa or a rug. What we haven't heard is what sort of rug does your husband want? Does he already have something in mind? What sort of sofa does he want? While women do tend to have a sense of style that doesn't mean men don't. Talk about the details with him. Whatever you buy, buy it because you both love it.

Marie Bee thanked mindshift
  • Marie Bee
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

I agree that not just women have a sense of style. We do not want a Persian Rug. We want to decorate with a traditional, but contemporary style. I have seen a couple that I really like, but of course, we don't agree. We usually have to hire someone to make our decisions for us because our likes are different.

• gtcircus
    7 år siden
    May I suggest that you each select an item. For instance, agree to narrow the rug choice down to three you both like and hubby makes final selection. Same with sofa. Other option is to divide the rooms in the house where each of you has decorating control. If you don't give hubby a say, you devalue his opinion when it's half his house. Think about how that would make you feel.
  • gtcircus
    7 år siden
    And you alternate final selection, he chooses rug, you chose sofa.
  • Cheryl Smith
    7 år siden

look for both but buy whichever you fall in love with and work around it. keeping a sofa and other seating neutral will help when you decide in a few years you want a change. they whole look of a room can be changed by just changing out cheaper accessaries like pillows and accents. look at completed rooms here on houzz for inspiration and color. you should find you already are leaning toward a certain style and colors

Marie Bee thanked Cheryl Smith
  • Cheryl Smith
    7 år siden

what Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader said is so true. it is never finished when you decorate you will always find something that you like that may work better. it is just a beginning.

Marie Bee thanked Cheryl Smith
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden
    The way I guide people on this question is asking what element is most important to them. Then, I show them how their decisions work together to make up the whole. Next, I explain the degree of difficulty in finding the two most important elements. In this case, each of you have an important element. So then look to degree of difficulty. In this case, rugs are hard to get because price, color, pattern, feel, material content, size are all part of decision. Sofas are more basic and generally easier to find. So I would start with rug and pull color from rug for sofa. As you do this, you can discuss what color sofa you would pair with each rug you like. These decisions will then support each other.
    Marie Bee thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Maria Pifke for Ethan Allen Inc. Schaumburg
    7 år siden

Ethan AllenSofa first and that will determine the rug size color and style . Go to www.ethanallen.com

Marie Bee thanked Maria Pifke for Ethan Allen Inc. Schaumburg
  • mcbmd3
    7 år siden
    Kevin Strader, you are a scream!
    Marie Bee thanked mcbmd3
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    7 år siden
    Tail wagging the dog.
    Marie Bee thanked Hal Braswell Consulting
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    7 år siden

mcbmd3, just telling it like it is. I presented my story in a humorous (at least I hope it was) way but honestly this is exactly what has been happening. They come next week to refinish the floors and then a few days later the couch and chairs get delivered. We're really looking forward to the updated look to our space.

Marie Bee thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

I call it the "domino effect"! You do one thing, and the "other" thing doesn't look good anymore and you do that and on and on. I thought your post was hilarious! Good to breath every once in a while! Thanks.

• Trem Wills
    7 år siden
    Rug first. I bought the sofa first and have bought and returned too many rugs to count, trying to find the perfect one. Had I bought the rug first, I could have pulled a colour from it and still gotten the exact same sofa style and size, as the furniture store l bought from has hundreds of fabrics.
    Marie Bee thanked Trem Wills
  • Angel 18432
    7 år siden

I would say sofa first - then rug. But why can't you choose one or the other - then go shopping for the other piece. You don't have to buy right away - shop around til you find what you both like - for both pieces.

Marie Bee thanked Angel 18432
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

The problem is rugs are MUCH harder to find in your price range, size and color than sofas. That is the reason. As msteezzy stated, rug first in most cases. Most sofas wind up being beige, gray, dark brown and black. But with a great rug, you can move into better choices for sofa. Doesn't work the other way around if you get what I'm saying! lol

• PRO
    Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
    7 år siden

Always rug first.......easier to match a sofa to a rug than the other way around. Harder to find the right rug than sofa.

Marie Bee thanked Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
  • PRO
  • Mimi Jensen
    7 år siden
    Rug, I was in the same dilemma a month ago. An empty room and didn't know where to start. So I found a rug that I loved and used that as my inspiration for the colors. Trust me that is the way to go!!
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    7 år siden

As I sit, hunched over my keyboard, hunched because I wore my back out moving furniture out of the LR/DR on Sunday I can report that my floors now have one coat of finish on them, with another to be done tomorrow and the last on Thursday. So we're now sleeping in the basement on a mattress since we can't get to our bedroom. At least we have a bathroom down there. Once the floors are done we can start moving everything back into the space (Oops, there goes my back again). Then we can get the couch and chairs delivered.

This room is going to look awesome but . . . . . . . . . . . the next time I mention re-decorating one of our rooms somebody please slap me!

• PRO
    MetalCoat Tile and Signs
    7 år siden

The rug is an accent to the sofa. I say, sofa first.

• camillemcb
    7 år siden

Rug first. Bought the sofa and chairs two years ago, still trying,as I type this late into the night to find a rug that goes.

• Angel 18432
    7 år siden

camillemcb why don't you post your sofa and chairs here - There are lots of talented people might be able to help you.

• Cheryl Smith
    7 år siden

rug first - pull a color or two from it for everything else. I also bought some pattern accent chairs that have pretty much made getting a rug impossible. I bought a carpet remnant to have a finished room but I'm always looking for that perfect rug that will go with them but can't! wish I hadn't bought the chairs it would have made things easier.

• Heather Macdonald
    7 år siden
    I bought my sofa first, thought it would be easier finding a carpet, will look when our house is ready ( about 2 months until completion) the thing I'm having trouble finding is a comfortable stylish grey chair , rocker or recliner, to convince my husband to get rid of his leather over stuffed eyesore!
    I'm the shopper so I choose 3 options that I like, in everything , tiles, paint, faucets etc then he chooses the one he likes...works for us.
  • Robin D
    7 år siden

I wish I had bought the rug first.

• Cheryl Smith
    7 år siden

heather, I'm with you on finding 2 or 3 things you like and giving husband final choice. also believe that no matter what designers say, most people like viewing TV from a recliner. heres are my 2 new gray flexsteel recliners that are microfiber but look like brushed leather.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.