spanna420

Master bedroom colour ideas-room faces west (slightly south) in Qld

Spanna
7 år siden

Measurements of
master bedroom are 4000x3600 so we would consider it a compact to medium size.
Bedroom is at the front of the house, facing West (slightly south west) in
Queensland. We are about to get bright 'clean' white shutters installed as we
have a large bay window at the front which gives us the afternoon sun, as
well as on the window behind our bed which will really modernise the
room. We would like to repaint our room and are trying to decide on what
colour to go for, apart from white as I feel too stark, and want the feel
to be more relaxing, sensual, but don't want anything that will be
outdated too soon either. We were thinking a teal, but think that could
be too full on? Our bedroom also has a small ensuite. Would appreciate any
advice for first time home owners. This photo is taken at night time, so probably not the best photo - but at least can get an idea of size and what furniture we have, and where the windows are where we will be getting the shutters.

(20) kommentarer

• Ann B
    7 år siden
    Hello. I like the plan to replace short window curtain with white shutters. Will you also replace the long curtain with shutters? If you really like teal but worry it may overpower, then perhaps use it in moderation or choose one of the lighter hues. Shades of green are also a restful colour. Maybe these photos will give you some ideas.
    Spanna thanked Ann B
  • Ann B
    7 år siden
    A few more using green.
    Spanna thanked Ann B
  • Spanna
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thanks so much Ann. It makes such a difference when you get opinions from others. I actually like the first photo to tell you the truth! I'm not sure what my husband would think though :-) We can always do the trials of getting the A4 size page with paint on and stick to our wall to see how we feel.

Yes - definitely getting shutters on the big front window and window behind our bed. It will make such a difference to our room once we replace the daggy black out curtains. Appreciate any more advice you could give, this is just great.

• PRO
    Cordony Group
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Hi spanna420,

For timeless neutrals, we suggest: Dulux Antique White USA, Dulux White Duck half & Grand Piano quarter.

Don't be afraid to use teal! Its daring, sophisticated and elegant. Perfect for adding a bright accent to the room. Hope some of the ways we have styled the colour inspire you:

Nelson Street, Chatswood · Mere information

Raymond Street, Neutral Bay · Mere information

Chiltern Street, Willoughby · Mere information
    High Street, Willoughby · Mere information

Spanna thanked Cordony Group
  • Spanna
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thank you - I was also thinking of a dove grey, but do keep going back to a teal. Here's a better photo that the real estate took when we bought it (this isn't our furniture etc)... so this gives more of an idea of the light during the day. The curtains will be replaced with bright white shutters

Master bedroom - paint colour ideas · Mere information

• rwalton5
    7 år siden

Evidently you like teal and other deep, strong colours and they give you a sense of the relaxing and sensual whereas white walls would feel 'stark'. So I think you should follow through with that preference, with the awareness that you'll be creating a room that's a retreat rather than a big, light, open extension of the rest of the house. The deep colours and sensuous textures could be in soft furnishings, allowing for swapping later. Walls could be a half or quarter-strength of colours you prefer. Hopefully there are expert readers who can help you with more images.

• girlguides
    7 år siden
    Check out deep arctic in dulux colour trends for 2017 - I always wanted feature wall in similar colour but baulked at additional cost as so many when building
  • kooky_karen
    7 år siden

There is nothing wrong with all white - the room will look larger.

Our bedroom is 3600 x 3600 (so a little smaller than yours) and with white walls and white drapes on sliding glass doors it does not look small or closed in. I suggest that you declutter your bedroom by removing the chest of drawers in the corner and centering the bed. Decorate with some very bright colourful or teal/ turquoise toned doona covers, pillows, etc.

• olldroo
    7 år siden

I solved my hot west facing room problem with soft aqua and lots of white. Room always looks fresh and clean but it is not too cold looking for winter.

The teal is nice, only painting a sample will give you a good idea, but I think I would only do one wall. The problem then is which wall - ideally the wall behind the bed would be best, but with the window, I think it will break the colour up and it will loose impact.

• KK1000
    7 år siden
    Use teal in small doses like lamps or vases, I have teal carpet in the bedroom and it's tricky decorating with it no meter what people tell you . I would go for a rather safe Warm neutral from Dulux for walls it would be perfect with white shutters and your timber furniture.
  • Tyrian
    7 år siden

Parade 2012- Hacienda · Mere information

Vaulx Lane · Mere information

Modern & Earthy in Sag Harbor · Mere information

West Village Studio · Mere information

I love the teal! In Feng Shui I seem to recall the west being a metal or earth direction. So if you care for that concept you could paint in greys, muted pinks, ochre, yellow, golds, coffee colours, apricot, skin tones etc. personally I love warm colours in the bedroom over cool colours. They are more romantic.

• Vy
    7 år siden

I love the last photo Ann B very calm and relaxing.

Tyrian..nice one too. Accents are great and not too overwhelming.

Bedrooms should have a calm feel not right in your face colours.

I'm thinking of upgrading my drapes to a lighter colour .

• olldroo
    7 år siden

Nice rooms Tyrian, but the hot afternoon sun is the factor here and those rooms would be unbearable. I love the third photo and have tried those colours but found them far to hot in our summer in any room regardless of the direction it faced.

• Tyrian
    7 år siden

Yes, I love that orange earth colour so much. White is also good for West in Feng Shui. I guess I am a bit too obsessed with Feng Shui, lol. Whatever really feels great is good a person I think. I do love a lovely deep blue or green. I have been told that pure colours are more relaxing than lighter colours by a friend. I stayed in her deep kelly green guest room and felt quite immobilised in a delicious way. It was like entering into another world, or a baroque painting!

• olldroo
    7 år siden

Feng Shui is fun. Colours do play a vital role in the mood of a room but aspect plays a large role in how that colour plays out. This is where photos don't always do justice to decorating, you can see a room that looks amazing but it doesn't always transfer to another room, resulting in disappointment.

I love dark colours in dining rooms too, I think they create a lovely intimate atmosphere for dining. I've done the dark colours in bedrooms too for that intimate feeling, but I've now moved on to lighter colours to open the house up more and I really enjoy the freshness of them, the rooms seem to look a lot cleaner.

My soft aqua lounge room was created from years of living with the sun and the heat it generated in the room, often making it unbearable to be in. Since I've done it in the aqua, people walk into the house and just want to be in the room and don't want to leave, because it is both cool and restful.

• Spanna
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    We ended up going with the Teal feature wall and love it. Really changes the feel and look of our room. Just need to refresh the rest of the room and paint the rest white. Thanks everyone for your input and advice, we appreciate it
  • olldroo
    7 år siden

Shutters make a huge difference spanna, well done.

Spanna thanked olldroo
  • Tyrian
    7 år siden

Lovely lovely!!

Spanna thanked Tyrian
  • wuff
    7 år siden
    Really ell done Spanner, love the colours .sweet dreams
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.