juliagarland54

How hard should I pursue a certain contractor?

Julia Garland
7 år siden

We are interviewing for a big kitchen renovation- full gut, redesign, etc. (not moving plumbing but otherwise everything is changing.) We met with a woman who did design and build and was WONDERFUL. We've met with others who seem fine, a little higher end maybe, a little less personal, and maybe don't get us as well. She gave us a date when she'd have some ideas and an estimate for us. The date passed and I emailed her with some info she'd wanted but we didn't have from our co-op yet. She responded quickly with an apology and a fair reason for being late (only a few days anyway) and a statement that she'd get us stuff ASAP. We thanked her and waited. 9 days later we emailed again letting her know we were still interested and were seeing other design ideas from other contractors and we were eager to see hers. Silence. Total and long silence. Now I think this means to just cross her off the list. But when I say we liked her, we REALLY liked her. Am I stupid if I pursue her again? Why would she abandon me? I'm sad.

(16) kommentarer

• acm
    7 år siden

Maybe some other work came through and she's now entirely too busy to consider your job. Maybe your co-op rules made it all sound Too Hard. Maybe she's hugely popular and just gets to pick and choose fun jobs.

One can never know. I'd move ahead with somebody else.

• annied75
    7 år siden
    Don't take it personally. I never understand why people can't be courteous & upfront if they are either unwilling or unable to take a job. It takes five minutes to either call or send an email. I would cross her off the list, & pursue others. Good luck on your project!
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 år siden
    Yes I got the tire kicking vibe too from the way it was phrased. Unfortunately it's very common in our industry so she may likely have other prospects that she perceives as more worth her time. One last email and either it all works out or you never hear from her again, either way you will know.
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 år siden

My wife and I like to look at new homes for kicks. Last Sunday we showed up at a model and the salesperson asked us if we were just "tire kickers". We replied in the affirmative. We didn't mind being qualified one bit and the salesperson was grateful for our honesty as we were for hers.

• wantsideas
    7 år siden

I think it is best to be transparent whether pro or client. "My budget is X" or "I don't take on projects under "Y". Send the email and let the person move on. Some people just can't say no and let silence do the talking when a simple short communication would suffice.

• User
    7 år siden

I'd probably let you go too if you told me you were getting a bunch of quotes. First of all, because without design work, you are comparing apples with oranges. And second of all, because if you aren't committed to me, you're not getting free design work. Which is what your communication sounds like. Like you aren't actually serious about getting quality work from a Pro. Just the cheapest.

If you really want to work with her, mention that you are prepared to pay her retainer at your next meeting. That signals that you are serious and not just looking for free ideas to take to the lowest bidder. Then follow through with the money.

• PRO
    Archi/Build Group, Inc.
    7 år siden

Run, don't walk, to the next contractor!

• Najeebah
    7 år siden
    there are a thousand possible explanations. speculating won't help, but communicating properly will. I agree fully with Jan.
    I would caution against proceeding without communicating regarding the delay. If you sense she thought you weren't serious, or she says she was otherwise occupied, etc. clear it up, or you may have a repeat during the project (with her or another), and speculation will worsen the situation
  • User
    7 år siden

I would certainly email her one more time just to see what happens. Remember people have a personal life as well as a professional life and sometimes things happen out of their control which impedes their business. If no reply this time I would probably then look for someone else.

• Julia Garland
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thanks everyone- I was surprised by a few comments- We were told to interview at least three different design/build contractors by almost everyone we talked to. Should we not be open about that? She was first, promised an estimate and very rough ideas with in 3 days (which seemed very fast), and indicated she could start Planning our job immediately and demolition in about two months. She herself told us to talk to at least two other people. So it was 3 days after the initial promise date I email her first and she explained the personal problem and promised things ASAP. Then I waited 9 days. My email then I hoped would show her we were serious- we were looking at other people and we liked her and really want to start the project- I thought my seriousness was important. On a side note- She does charge a $1,000 good faith fee during the design potion so she doesn't get her designs stolen- I am totally willing to pay this but I want to see an estimate first.

• annied75
    7 år siden
    I think there's too many red flags, which would cause me to continue the search for someone else. She's already demonstrated a lack of communication & missed deadlines. I think it's a good indicator that you would experience the same if you hired her.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    7 år siden

I would follow up with her if you like her work and she has good references. Just make sure before your kitchen gets ripped up that she is good with time management.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 år siden

There are too many variables in a kitchen to provide anyone with a meaningful "estimate" UNTIL a design has been completed. I'm unclear how badly she wanted to do the work , when she agreed to "estimate" without a design fee received.

But, the email you write should be your last, assuming the possibility of everyone not being on the same page. Perhaps...........she didn't ask for the grand for lack of interest. Either way...... one last email, and move on.

• PRO
    Stevens Creek Shutter Company
    7 år siden

I'd say that whatever her perceived ranking of you as a potential prospect might be, what is most important here is that she made a commitment to get back to you, a couple of times, and didn't follow through. Run, don't walk to a designer that values your business and follows through on promises. A Kitchen reno is a huge project, with many variables, it is crucial that you have 100% follow through. The very best are a rare breed of creative, organized, and thorough. Sounds like you hit it off on the creative side, but missed out on the other side of the equation. Best of luck with your project!

• User
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

You want an estimate, you can get a ballpark before any work is done. 50-60K average. Do you want average? Or upscale? Upscale is 110-120K. The specifics will determine where the money is spent, but that's average. Anyone who does 6-10 hours of work without money up front just to give you the same numbers in greater detail is nuts. And losing money long term. Even if they don't think so now.

They can show you past projects similar to yours, and talk about the costs there if you want more specific. But doing the work and then asking for a low retainer is bad business. And unfocused on the customers where the money is.

If you want to move forward and give her money, and she's busy wasting time on tire kickers, then she has poor time management as well. You might get more attention with a retainer, but if she can't provide that now with money waved in her face, I'd have second thoughts too.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.