tcbtcb

Front door color for black house?

tcbtcb
7 år siden
sidst ændret:7 år siden

I just finished scraping and am in the process of priming my front door. I'm experiencing a bit of a hangup on what color to paint it.

I had originally planned for a slight off-white to match the interior, then considered a light grey with a touch of warmth or a touch of blue. Now I'm just not sure, so I ask you!

The door has brass hardware. I also may switch the walkway to red brick in the future. I'm a 30-something bachelor and want to stay away from something that looks too traditional and boring, however, I also want to avoid temporary trends and anything that might be seen on an HDTV show or similar. In other words, I'm OK with taking some risk and being contrarian as long as it's rooted in good taste and doesn't need to be redone anytime soon. Have I mentioned how painful scraping 4 layers of paint from a door is??

Thoughts on color?

Note: This is a picture that is a number of years old. The climbing plant is gone and the scrolls have been removed from the iron support beams. As a result, the house has traded a bit of the bohemian look above for a more Scandinavian minimalist look.

(50) kommentarer

• tcbtcb
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Hi Kris- I had considered a seafoam green of sorts, but think it will ultimately clash with all of the green in my landscape. I think the houses that look best with the edgy greens are generally more urban or have less grass and landscaping immediately around the door. Thoughts?

• joelegnater
    7 år siden

red or yellow...anything but a neutral....

tcbtcb thanked joelegnater
  • cpannetti
    7 år siden
    Bright blue!
    tcbtcb thanked cpannetti
  • Kris Mays
    7 år siden

My thought is I really like a shade of teal or blue. It will not blend with your landscape. I agree a seafoam green won't work.

tcbtcb thanked Kris Mays
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 år siden

tcbtcb thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Motto Interior Design
    7 år siden

A deep navy blue would also look lovely :)

tcbtcb thanked Motto Interior Design
  • Kris Mays
    7 år siden

Love that lime door, Beverly.

• tcbtcb
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

I like the idea of a deep navy blue, but think it might get lost with a black house.

• Emily Jowers
    7 år siden
    What about more or a hunters green? I think it would add more bachelor mystery without blending into the house. Teal seems like a more feminine touch to me. I also think it would complement your greenery instead of clash with it.
  • Emily Jowers
    7 år siden
    Can you post a more recent shot of the front porch? Facing the door maybe.
    tcbtcb thanked Emily Jowers
  • Kris Mays
    7 år siden

I agree. You should not go dark. Go bright.

• Kris Mays
    7 år siden

Showing for colors only. Although I like the style of this one.

• tcbtcb
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

More recent, but with the door partially through the stripping process.

• tcbtcb
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

I like the idea of a dark green, but I do think it would really blend in with the black. I haven't seen lighter greens that I particularly like.

I'm currently playing with these blues. The lighter one isn't particularly masculine though.

• Kathy Yata
    7 år siden

Wow, the entry looks fantastic with the scrolls removed. This is going to be nice.

I adore the apple green that Kris posted, the one with 6 windows in the door. It's the color of my patio umbrella and I feel like I'm sitting under a tree canopy. Very welcoming color.

My front door is close to the middle blue you posted. I chose it because stone facing on the porch has flecks of this color and it looks great with the pale golden tones of the house. What happens if you lighten the color of the siding? Perhaps go with that shade? It's likely to be a color and not a neutral.

tcbtcb thanked Kathy Yata
  • leelee
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

tcbtcb thanked leelee
  • PRO
    Cheap-Chic Decor
    7 år siden

Red would brighten up the entryway and make a nice focal point against the dark house.

tcbtcb thanked Cheap-Chic Decor
  • Kris Mays
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Those blues are nice but slightly blah. I really like the apple green or lime for this house.

i think red has been so overdone.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden
    Here are some ideas
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

Victorian School House · Mere information
    If your house is black, I like the Robin's Egg Blue color along with some colorful pots and flowers on that porch. Also, get some stainless or brushed nickel house numbers to replace the generic ones. :-)
    Walk Around the Hood · Mere information
    Double click on this picture and you will see others, along with dark grey and black siding or exteriors. I lean to the Robin's Egg Blue especially if this door faces East or North? Here are some pots for your porch too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

Lip Planter, Quin Blue, Small · Mere information

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

About 3 pots of 3 different heights, and full of great greens and other flowers such as coleus, would make the door sing!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

Modern Classic Address Number, 8" SoHo Aluminum 2 · Mere information
    Some aluminum ones would work. Line them up horizontally. Not vertically.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

Metal Wall Planter and Address Plaque, Rust, With Numbers · Mere information
    I think you could hang this from your iron posts perhaps. Something a bit different and with some succulents for that same color as the front door.
    Modern Led House Number 5" Outdoor By Luxello LED · Mere information
    Or LED lit numbers would be very cool! They would find you at night which could be a good thing!

tcbtcb thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Picture Framing & Art Gallery, LLC
    7 år siden

I love red doors personally...and there's a myriad of red tones out there, from bright and vibrant orange based, to dark and rich blue based...lots to choose from. They also have a good luck meaning in many cultures, so that's kind of cool ;-).

tcbtcb thanked Picture Framing & Art Gallery, LLC
  • Emily Jowers
    7 år siden
    I like the top two blues you posted. They would go well with the house and the gray undertones are more masculine. They have a similar hue to your shade in the window.
    tcbtcb thanked Emily Jowers
  • Emily Jowers
    7 år siden
    A natural-tone wood door would look really nice but you'd need a new door. Here's a palette of colors with gray undertones in them. I like the leather and denim. Another blue door similar to the colors you posted. Also a mustard door that I'll post, though I'm not sure how I feel about it.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 år siden

I'm with Kris my first thought was lime, apple, or chartreuse. Picked up nicely by the tree to the left.

Red is suggested often, but I don't consider it overdone because a.) I don't actually see it on real live houses very much and b.) it has entered the realm of "classic" imo.

Red door with polished brass looks so classy.

tcbtcb thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • srevere
    7 år siden
    What about orange or clay? Too much?
  • RubyRoses
    7 år siden
    I immediately thought a nice smokey red door, but I think a blue could also be nice.
    tcbtcb thanked RubyRoses
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 år siden

i wouldn’t paint the door. I would replace the door with full view in black.

Exterior · Mere information

tcbtcb thanked JudyG Designs
  • tcbtcb
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Just bought a can of onyx black in satin! The door will be very understated, but the brass hardware will add a nice touch. Thanks for your help everyone!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

That is a great choice! Can't wait to see it.

tcbtcb thanked Flo Mangan
  • Kris Mays
    7 år siden

Please post after photos!

tcbtcb thanked Kris Mays
  • tcbtcb
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

All done. I might add a brass kick plate down the road, in addition to a planter or decoration against the brick wall.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden
    I have to say, who will find that door? Missed opportunity. Need bright or some color there. Be nice if you could replace stick on house numbers with something larger and brighter too. Emergency crews would appreciate better house numbers too, just in case.
  • Flo Mac
    7 år siden

Why this color?

• Emily Jowers
    7 år siden
    I love it! It's mysterious. If you add a footplate, you could match the metal to new house numbers.
  • Emily Jowers
    7 år siden
    New house numbers down the side of the house by the door. Didn't finish my sentence! Sorry!
  • User
    7 år siden

The house looks very gothic with the black door.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 år siden

• Turid Knutsen-Løvik
    7 år siden
    If you're going for a Scandi look, white would be the right option.
  • PRO
    ccaro4
    7 år siden
    What about keeping the door black or natural and adding a storm door with one large piece of glass window in the middle? I am getting this idea because I like with pop of color just at the edge of door like in one of Bev's original pics.
  • PRO
    ccaro4
    7 år siden
    I didn't see you did go with black when I made my comment! But now my comment fits great- when you get a chance, instead of investing in a black kick plate do a pop of color on a full view storm door!
  • Ramona
    7 år siden
    I just painted the front door of my dark grey cottage BM's Winterberry and it's stunning.
  • PRO
    Lithouse
    7 år siden

We have installed graffiti grey, solid wood doors. House exterior is finished with larch wood cladding, so in a year or two wood will turn to grey and match even better.

• Kari Tiffey
    7 år siden
    I really like a cedar door something like this
  • Kris Mays
    7 år siden

He already painted it.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 år siden

Old post. Be nice to get an update.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.