ckreaps

need help with inside stair railing

Colleen Kreaps
7 år siden

Really like the look of stainless or brushed nickel rods running horizontal for the inside stair railing, any suggestions how to use these types of materials and do it economically? I would like to mix dark maple wood with the stainless or brushed nickel. Can round maple rods be found, and if so, where? My husband and I , and our contractor are having a tough time coming up with solutions for this one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. ( I wondered if a rod can be wrapped in a very thin layer of stainless? Somewhat like you would wrap something with aluminum foil? Only I would want a smooth look. Not wrinkles. ) Or, can you find hollow stainless or brushed nickel rods that would work for this situation? If so, where would you find them at? Thanks.

(6) kommentarer

• chiflipper
    7 år siden

http://www.rockler.com/large-diameter-dowel-rods-3-dia

You can order 3 inch diameter rods here. Any metal fabricator can "wrap" a piece of wood in brushed SS.

Colleen Kreaps thanked chiflipper
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 år siden

Horizontal railings are not to code in many places you should check that out and yes there are maple rods and stainless rods

Colleen Kreaps thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 år siden

Your guardrail can't be a ladder for children to climb. Anyone can dream up and/or draw anything. The difficulty is great design within the parameters of the building code. That takes talent.

Colleen Kreaps thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • User
    7 år siden

There are NO restrictions on whether or not a guard rail meant to protect against accidental falls can be climbable in the IRC (US building codes) because they are smart enough to realize that a chair can be placed next to the railing making it easy to climb over regardless of the design of the rail.

(Yes, even in Florida, Joseph)

http://floridabuilding2.iccsafe.org/app/book/content/2014_Florida/Residential%20Code/Chapter%203.html

The rail is there to prevent accidents, NOT stupidity. Canada is the only place ridiculous enough to play big brother to that sort of thing, but they have also mandated lever knobs for all doors, and will soon require padding on all the walls, floors, and ceilings of the rooms, and no projections that you could tie a rope to for hanging yourself ;D

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 år siden

That railing would not pass code in many places

Colleen Kreaps thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.