naaavvviiii

White or smoke grey subway tile?

Navi
7 år siden

This is my first time posting here so please bear with me. I am buying a house from a builder and choosing the colour options. I really want an all white kitchen so I'm going with a white quartz countertop with glossy white cabinetry. The floor will be a really dark brown/black laminate. I have the option for a white subway tile (2"x6") or a smoke grey glass subway tile (same size or just slightly different). What do you recommend? I really like the look of an all white kitchen, but when the builder offered the free upgrade to the smoke grey glass tile I got confused. He said it would look better since the cabinets are glossy (although the white tile is glossy too).

Thanks for your feedback!

(12) kommentarer

• jck910
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Don't use a builder to decide your colors. Go to the tile store & have them show you both options with your cabinets

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 år siden

Exactly this is your space , I happen to like a bit of contrast but an all white kitchen can be stunning IMO I would see if you could pay an up charge and install your own and get large format tile but either way have them installed in a stacked pattern with the smallest grout lines possible and with matching grout

• susanalanandwrigley
    7 år siden

Agree with jck910, bring both a cabinet sample and a countertop sample with you to the tile store, look at options, bring home samples to see in your own light. Narrow it down, go back to tile store, exchange until you find the right tile. Lather, rinse, repeat until done. Also if possible don't choose back splash tile until the rest is done, so that you can really see what it looks like in your space with your lighting.

Even if you decide on a white subway tile, there are a lot of variations out there so you really must investigate and choose in person.

• acm
    7 år siden

I don't think the poster has complete tile store freedom, just a few builder options to choose from.

Either white or gray could look great. Agree that you need to see the samples all together, and also look at photos where white or gray backsplashes are used with white kitchens. I often like gray for some contrast, especially when there is a gray vein in the stone, but you might find that just having the shiny texture would be enough for you. It also depends a lot on the shade of gray. For sure don't be swayed by the fact that one option is framed as an "upgrade" -- aesthetics are very personal.

Paddington · Mere information

Project -3290 · Mere information

All White Kitchen · Mere information

Transitional Farmhouse · Mere information

Taylors Drive Residence · Mere information

Dunoon Road · Mere information

Winnet House · Mere information

Cliff Rd Renovation · Mere information

• Navi
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thanks everyone for your comments. acm is correct in that I don't have the freedom to go to a tile store, I am selecting from the builder's options. I have seen the samples in person and put them together to see how they go together. There is no gray in the quartz countertop, it is just plain white or at least I didn't notice any. The smoke grey glass tile is a very light slightly warm grey.

The pictures I have attached are very similar to what is being offered.

• susanalanandwrigley
    7 år siden

Your second option shows a gray countertop though. It will be different with everything else white. I think in your situation I would go with white - or a subtle glass tile of a different color, is gray all that is being offered? I could see a pale green or blue looking beautiful.

• acm
    7 år siden

Those are nice options, so you probably can't go wrong. Which of my examples did you tend to like better? That's all there is to go on. Also, are you likely to find the all-white effect more crisp or more stark? (Note how they warm it with wood shelves and some color.) People do tend to post queries here asking how to keep their lovely new kitchens from feeling "sterile"...

• PRO
    Imperial Flooring Inc.
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Backsplashes · Mere information

Backsplashes · Mere information

Here is some photos of our completed projects. Good Luck!

• PRO
    TORLYS Floors
    7 år siden

Do you have any photos of the floor, countertop, and the cabinets together? It may be easier for us to assist with pictures of exactly what you're working with!

• Navi
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

The only options are the two colours I've posted. I want to keep it a neutral colour to allow the option of changing decor and such later. I plan to add some wood accents as well and some greenery in the kitchen, including a soft natural jute runner between the cabinets/sink wall and the island.

I think I have my answer. Going to stick with my gut and go for the white like I originally wanted!

Thanks everyone! This was a very positive first experience on houzz :)

• acm
    7 år siden

Yay! enjoy your new space!

Navi thanked acm
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.