zaffa

Front door

zaffa
7 år siden
Hi Houzzers, I'm hoping to get some opinions on our front door for our new home. It is a contemporary style, colours are monument, Surfmist, and a feature aluminium timber look panelling in a chocolate brown (Wenge) colour. We have decided on a flush (plain) front door and a 1m square look long brushed aluminium door handle. I would like some opinions on the following 2 finishes - (1) a high gloss 2 pac in a browny colour to add warmth and tie in with the timber panelling in top quarter of house and (2) a bronze/graphite metal coated door which I do love but not too sure if it will be too busy for our facade. I have attached some photos.... Thanks!

(27) kommentarer

• zaffa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Photos to add to previous post. One of other door option, other pic of timber panelling. Thanks
  • oklouise
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

love the look of bronze with brushed aluminium handle, especially with some autumn colours in the new garden...good luck in your new home

• zaffa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thanks oklouise. So do you mean the 2pac shiny door or the metal coated bronze/graphite door?
  • oklouise
    7 år siden

the metal coated bronze/graphite door, with or without the routing! we have a cor- ten steel door with brushed aluminium handle and i love the contrast of rusty and shiny..very classy not busy!

• zaffa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thanks oklouise. Much appreciated!
  • antonia_d
    7 år siden
    Another vote for the bronze door. Makes a real statement.
  • zaffa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thank you antonia_d. Great to have my thoughts confirmed too. I just wasn't sure if it would look 'too much' with the rest of the facade.
  • LesleyH
    7 år siden
    Another vote also for the bronze door.
  • hanayuki
    7 år siden

Bronze door, OR, you could add a dash of colour to the façade and warm it up with bold gloss red, vermillion, or orange!

• oklouise
    7 år siden

Orange, or deep Turquoise? sounds great!!

• zaffa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Hhmmm. I think I like the idea of orange/vermillion. Bright and bold with an otherwise monochromatic colour scheme. I could also get the metal-coating more bronze and less graphite (the paint specifications are custom ordered) and that would also provide colour. The garden, too, which has just been designed by a landscape designer, will add colour. Thanks for all your ideas!! I will work out how to photo shop different colour doors on the image of the facade. Thanks!
  • PRO
    Smith and Sons Renovations & Extensions Port Hills
    7 år siden

Hi Zaffa;

the front door is a difficult choice. It should be like a teaser for the rest of the house...I think the bronze will look amazing but so too would a corten steel door. The corten will age and take on its own patina. Unsealed copper would be awesome as well as it will change as the house ages. One of the things to remember is that the house will change subtly as time goes by. Plants will grow, colours will fade and the house will become more individual and take on the persona you give it. So as you make this decision keep this in the back of your mind. I love the way houses change with time.

Have you considered timber? Cedar would look great as well...But in the end it could be changed!

• zaffa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thanks for your reply. I agree that the front door sets the tone of your home. That's why this decision has been quite difficult. Lots of factors to consider. Our house was designed with a cedar Shiplap front door in mind, but the west orientation and our desire for everything low maintenance has steered me away from that option. I feel that Corten steel, and copper, while spectacular, will be too 'orange' against our anodised steel frames. That's why we thought bronze graphite, warmth, but with charcoal themes to tie in with the steel frames and facade. Thanks for your suggestions!!
  • Tim
    7 år siden

I would think the Corten door would be great as it changes its colour and would make a grand statement to your entry

• girlguides
    7 år siden
    I'd go white as is light and bright and makes entry stand out against all grey
  • zaffa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thanks girlguides. Yes white could look nice but am thinking a pop of colour might work best to 'lift' the scheme. First world problems!!
  • zaffa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Also came across this paint finish today. I like it! What do you wonderful Houzzers think? Compared to bronze/graphite?
  • annb1997
    7 år siden

That's an interesting paint. Is there a particular technique to get it to look like that? would you paint it yourself or have the painter do it? Coz I'm thinking if it's a special technique, it would be worth practising!

• bigreader
    7 år siden
    @annb. I aw a demo years ago and it didn't look that hard. The transformation is amazing. All Porters products are great but not cheap.

Another metal finish, at the upper end, is available from Axolotyl coatings. Google their work n
  • annb1997
    7 år siden

Thanks for that, bigreader. Will do.

• zaffa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Yes. Axolotl are amazing! I have sourced a company in Melbourne who pretty much do the same thing. It's Metalcote in Cheltenham. The bronze/graphite sample I have attached to this post is from there. It's liquid metal. Axolotl are in Sydney and the cost of transporting door to and from there, plus cost of coating, is way expensive. Coating alone, minus cost of door, is around $2500+/- I figure for the same product I won't have to pay for return delivery of a heavy door
  • zaffa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Here is a door that I am thinking of, including the routing.....
  • annb1997
    7 år siden

Wow! I really like that door. I know you wondered earlier on if the routing would make it look too busy with your facade...NOPE!! It's very striking.

• annb1997
    7 år siden

Have you already decided on a door handle?

• zaffa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thanks annb1997. It is striking. That's what we're aiming for. The sample in one of the earliest photos is that finish - bronze graphite burnished - but being a smallish sample you can't really appreciate the true effect. The door handle will be a long (1m) squarish anodised steel handle, to match the anodised steel door frame.
  • hagan_38
    7 år siden
    @zaffa that door looks amazing. It will be a real feature for your house if you choose that one.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.