madhousemama

Where do I start???

Clair S
7 år siden

After going through an architect to have a house extension designed, we ultimately decided (with the help of the estate agent) that actually refurbishing the existing space would be the best option.

We want to move some things around internally, completely take out a utility room that's in a silly place and relocate it and create a study nook. So it's not just a paint job. Also I want the new utility/study designed really well with well thought out detail to really make the most of the space and it's use.

But I'm stuck on who to get help from designing this new space.

It feels too small a job for an architect and I didn't have a great experience with the last one :( . Should I be approaching an interior designer or build and design company, or both. The interior designers all look way out of budget!

Any ideas???

TIA

Confused of Surrey.

(9) kommentarer

• PRO
    N7 Design Studio Ltd.
    7 år siden

Hi, I'd recommend going to a small architectural firm or sole architect. They will be able to give you the advice that you're looking for. An interior designer won't necessarily know if you can remove walls etc.

If you've had a bad experience from an architect in the past then it's always a good idea to ask any potential architects for testimonials from past clients or, even better, recommendations from family/friends.

I hope this is helpful.

Clair S thanked N7 Design Studio Ltd.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    7 år siden
    Or a freelance concept planner ( that's what we are !) but we don't advice on knocking walls out ! You'd need a SE for that if you wanted to go down that route !
    Clair S thanked OnePlan
  • ianthy
    7 år siden

Def an architect, especially when you are working with small spaces I think you really need help to get the best out of it. Your ideas appear to really well formed but there could be other ideas about what would work best. Why not book an initial meeting with an architect and then decide what level of services (design thru to Project management) want/need.

Clair S thanked ianthy
  • PRO
    Croydon Window Company Ltd
    7 år siden

Hi can you send me your email and information and I can forward your details to companies we work with on refurbishments and renovations?

Clair S thanked Croydon Window Company Ltd
  • Clair S
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Why, One Plan, So that's what they're called! I knew there must be a name for it.

Thank you all for the comments, it is really helpful. When this isn't something you've done before it can be amazing how you're just not sure who to approach and there's nothing worse then finding out you should have done it a different way after the fact.

• Clair S
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Hi NOVA, I'm in KT8, close to Hampton Court.

• PRO
    LuxDeco
    7 år siden

madhousemama, we understand your dilemma – there's almost too much choice and no clear indication of what to do first. Once your architect (if you get one) is finished with structural changes, our Interior Design team would love to help you with everything from design suggestions to a product shopping list, and it won't break your budget.

• PRO
    Equilibrando... Space Planning with Feng Shui
    7 år siden

Hello madhousemama, I could help you in terms of layout and how to maximise potential of your house. I apply feng shui as well as my space planning skills and I would make 3d rendering of your new layout with all suggestions and ideas so you can see how it will look before you make any decision. I'm still on the stage of promoting my business so I'm sure my rates will be within your budget. / Marcin

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.