chriskingarcher

Interior Design: Conflict of styles - Modern Vs. Traditional

Chris K
7 år siden

I would like to know if there are any interior designers who say 'no' to mixing styles...such as modern and traditional.

My example is a chandelier (modern) and a ceiling medallion (traditional), see attached picture. Is this always wrong? Or are there exceptions. Lastly what is your personal opinion of the pictured example.

Thank you!

(12) kommentarer

• midcenturymoderngirl
    7 år siden

I think that looks pretty cool. but No, not a designer by trade.

• Chris K
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thank you. I just wasn't sure at how compatible the two were together.

Chandelier - Anastasia Leaf by Warehouse of Tiffany
    Medallion- 28-3/8 in. O.D. Benson Classic Ceiling Medallion by Ekena Millwork

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 år siden

Not may area of strength but I find that the medallion seems too large for the fixture or the fixture is too small for the medallion. They seem to be competing for attention versus complimenting or contrasting each other.

Graham

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 år siden

Carole - I think your example works because there are other additional modern elements in the room versus just the light fixture. The traditional and modern elements are balanced out so as to create a great contrast between them. Saw this approach on a trip to London UK last month and was very very impressed on how the two styles could work so well together when done right.

Graham

• User
    7 år siden

I like it;)

• PRO
    Cutting Edge Door and Trim
    7 år siden

I think you've found a unique look that will work perfectly! It's definitely something someone would remember about your home and love.

• PRO
    Kitchens Plus
    7 år siden

I mix styles all the time. As a Designer by trade, I feel this looks great! Good job!! The chandelier isn't that modern for the medallion but it does look a little on the small side. Other then that, I think the mixture is perfect.

• midcenturymoderngirl
    7 år siden
    I'm going to be mixing styles in my place, so yes, I hope that's ok !
  • PRO
    DBGC Inc.
    7 år siden

Chris,

In my opinion, interior design should be fun and reflective of the people inhabiting the space - there are no "rules", only "trends". If you're passionate about a design element you see and want to incorporate into your home, I would do your best to envision it in place. If you like it and it's value added to you, go for it. This chandelier / medallion combination might not fit in to a specific design box, but I can tell you've made very thoughtful decisions to achieve this look and because of that it works to me.

Best of luck!

• Chris K
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thank you everyone for your comments. The chandelier is 25" wide and the medallion is 23" diameter. The four points on the medallion are 28" apart however.

Someone mentioned the chandelier being too low. It's about 32" off the table surface might add a chain link or two to bring it down further to 30" which is the "proper" height. I'm 6'1" and have no issues ;)

Im still yet to paint the walls (white undercoat at the moment) and install wainscoting moulding under the chair rail.

I think I'm happy with the overall look right now. I'll post photos when it's done.

• PRO
    Baroque Interiors and Events
    6 år siden

looks perfectly ok for me. Great choice.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.