mgiambanco

Our new bathroom!

Mario
7 år siden

Since we bought this house 6 years ago, we've slowly gutted and remodeled out 1912 built house room by room. This summer, July into August, we had a perfect storm of my office going through some remodeling and dad having some time off so we finally bit the bullet and remodeled our bathroom. The delay was always, it's the only bathroom in the house, so trying to work around that has always been difficult.

The best photo of the bathroom I could find shortly after we moved in. All we changed from when we bought it was to remove the wallpaper, add a few shelves and a new shower curtain.

Demolition begins. Nothing is to be saved - gut down to the studs.

The ceiling joists will be sistered with 2x6s (they were 2x5s). Not even the original single pane wooden window is safe. It'll come out as well.

Dad taking a short break after getting the original cast iron tub loose. It was covered by the previous owner by Bath Fitters so, not salvageable.

The old galvanized water pipes had to go as well as the cast iron drain pipe. Luck would have it, this was perfect timing to remodel the bathroom as the galvanized water pipes were showing surface rust and as our plumber said, could have went at any time. Plumbing is the only thing we hired out for (not including the glass shower door which had to be installed by the company selling it). Fortunately, my brothers brother in law is a plumber so we saved a bit of money. This is a view from the family room wall that had to be opened to remove all the old piping.

Rebuild begins - first with electrical. The ceiling fan has a fan, heater, night light and regular light. The wife wanted 2 sets of outlets to charge tooth brushes, my electric razor, etc... Additionally, there's 2 recessed lights and a towel warmer, so a 4 gang box worked nicely.

Concrete board around the shower, drywall everywhere else. Bathtub is an American Standard AmeriCast.

Shower door is from a local shower door company - Twin City Glass. Title is Travertine with glass mosaic used for accent. Window is a standard Pella Thermastar double pane vinyl window. Shower head is a 1 piece unit I found on Amazon.com. Towel warmer from Amazon as well. Toilet is a Toto 1 piece.

The floor is Travertine as well in a Versailles pattern also from The Tile Shop. The door didn't survive either, haha - new 6 panel solid core door from Home Depot.

Countertop is Quartz, solid hard wood cabinet, glass sink bowl and faucet is Moen. Hand towel holder, glass shelves, trash can, toilet paper holder and monogrammed towels all from Pottery Barn. Paint from Sherwin Williams.

All in, it took about 2 months to finish, about 17k USD

Toilet - $800

Tile - $3000

Plumbing - $3000

Bathtub - $500

Sink, Faucet, Countertop, Cabinet - $2000

Pottery Barn stuff - about $800

Everything else on drywall, wire, switches, shower head, towel warmer, new hammer drill, new level, etc...

We waited about a month for the Quartz and cabinet (they were backed up and we ordered mid way through). Fortunately, The Tile Shop had our tile on hand, so the bathroom was about 95% finished after about a month and a half.

2 or 3 months later now and I'm still amazed we actually did it. We lived with what it was for so long knowing it would take time to get done and not having a functional bathroom would be such a pain that we always avoided it. We have 1 more bedroom to remodel and the entire house is brand new. Till Next year!

(11) kommentarer

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.