adelewarren

Open Kitchen into Living Room Color Scheme

Adele Warren
7 år siden

Help!

I just ordered the following couch in dove (a lightish gray) Couch Ordered

I wanted to paint the living room walls a dark grey and have white crown moldings for a clean crisp look (open to other suggestions), I am currently redoing my kitchen and knocking down a wall so it opens up into my living room and having a large 7' long counter top to serve as a dining room table as well. What colors can I use for the cabinets, counter-top, floor to make sure the room has some color and life? Originally i was thinking white counter-top and white cabinets, but with that and gray i wasn't sure if it would be to plain (or how the white on white would look). Interior Design is a very weak point for me! please help with any ideas or pics/examples of potential ideas and color schemes. All help is very appreciated!!

(2) kommentarer

• PRO
    SimpleDecoratingTips.com
    7 år siden

Hi Adele,

Regarding your plan... Could I recommend a few things, besides the color scheme ideas?

First, because it is such a tight space, I'd recommend getting a 'counter-depth' refrigerator. It would make a big difference in the tight space of your kitchen.

Then as far as the stove and sink layout...

I usually do not recommend having the stove all the way up to the wall, but sometimes space just doesn't allow anything else. If you feel you must have it tight to the wall, you need to put a fire/heat proof wall treatment on the wall adjacent to the stove. Tile would be great for this use.

If it were my kitchen, I'd fit at least a 9" wide cabinet between the wall and the stove. Doesn't sound like much, but having just a wee countertop there to set things when you're cooking makes a huge difference.

And I'd for sure have a cabinet/counter between the sink and stove. At the absolute minimum 12" wide but preferably 21" or 24" wide. (I'm not sure what code is in your area, but would be worth a check before you order cabinets etc. it very well may be at least 24" between sink and stove)

I'm going to attach 2 links to this. One is showing an antique house I re-did a few years ago. All I could fit in on each side of the stove were 2 very narrow cabinets, but you'll be able to see how it made a big difference.

Antique Farmhouse Kitchen Renovation

The other link is an all white kitchen in a condo renovation I just got done with. Even though the cabinets, counters and floor (Yes, floor! White cork) are all white, it creates a backdrop for the accessories and artwork.

White Kitchen in Condo Renovation

Since your space is quite small, I'd recommend going with the all white scheme you were thinking and let the furnishings, accessories and art have the color.

Hope that helps, Liz

SimpleDecoratingTips.com

• Emily Jowers
    7 år siden

I would definitely do the uppers white and maybe raise them above the typical 18" from the counter to help open the space. [This little kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/the-100-square-foot-kitchen-a-dark-space-sees-the-light-stsetivw-vs~75921906) might help inspire your renovation. They use light colors, simple design and hang the uppers 22" above the counter to help it feel bigger. You could do all white cabinets with a gray counter or a white marble-look counter to break up the white a little. Or you could do a colorful backsplash like these blue glass tiles.

Rhode Island Beach House · Mere information

Lake Oswego Custom Home · Mere information

Richmond · Mere information
    I you do all white, be sure to include some warm woods as accents, even if it's just some nice cutting boards or wooden spoons or a little shelf.

I agree with HometoCottage about the layout. I would try to squeeze in a little cabinet between the stove and wall. You could use it for cookie sheets. Then put a cabinet between the stove and sink and put the sink in the island, centered on the piece of wall you are removing. Then a counter-depth fridge so it's not so cramped.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.