coast_ranger

Flowering Tree Suggestion

Coast Ranger
7 år siden
sidst ændret:7 år siden

I want to plant a flowering tree and am looking for some suggestions. Something to give some spring color. I'm looking at a Red Dogwood and American Redbud. Any thoughts on those, or maybe something else? I live along the northern coast in South Carolina. Are there any "trash" issues with these? By that I mean - in the fall am I picking up gumballs, pine cones, seed pods, ...?

Thanks in advance,

CR

(10) kommentarer

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    7 år siden

Dogwoods have small fruit that IME the birds eat before they fall. Redbud has small (3"-4") pods that are light weight and can be cleaned up when the leaves are, though IME some cling on to the branches somewhat later into winter. Neither is an issue IMO.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    7 år siden

What is your spot like? Here most dogwoods want to be out of full sun while redbuds like it.

If larger is better and the spot is in the sun, I have a Cornus controversa dogwood. It is not as showy as Cornus florida or Cornus kousa but gets taller and wider.

• Coast Ranger
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thanks to Hurricane Matthew, the spot is full sun from about 10:30 am until sundown due to tall trees on the adjacent lot. The ground is high and dry. I could live with the small pods Babs describes with the Redbuds since I mulch and bag leaves. Thanks Toronado for mentioning the Dogwood subspecies (?). I'll look them up for a better idea.

• Logan L Johnson
    7 år siden

Dogwood and redbud in general tend to be mess free besides leaves. Since you are on the coast (probably similar to my climate) why not check out some of the cool eastern redbud cultivars.

Cercis Canadensis 'Forest Pansy'

Cercis Canadensis 'Rising Sun'

Cercis Canadensis 'Royal White'

Cercis Canadensis var. texenis

Cercis Canadensis var. texenis 'Alba' (I think this isn't correct, but I know there is a white texas redbud)

• PRO
    Les Arbres Tree Service & Fine Gardening
    7 år siden

Have you considered a Stewartia? Beautiful trees, branches grow on 45 degree angles and have beautiful flowers in late spring/early summer. Also, an attractive future all year is the bark.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    7 år siden

Stewartia also have amazing fall color, and I like all the features Les Arbres mentioned, though their flowers tend to be more subtle than either redbuds or dogwoods since they happen fewer at a time over a longer time period instead of all at once in a big floral blast. Redbuds tend to have straight yellow fall color, and IME there's quite a bit of range in dogwoods' fall color from rich red to quite muted.

• Coast Ranger
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

I picked up one each of the Red Dogwood (Cornus florida var rubra) and Eastern Redbud (Cercis canadensis). They're pretty small from the description, but I'm still anxious to see how they develop next spring. I'm probably 5 linear miles from the actual coast, no problem with salt spray. I am a bit sandy so I'll be sure to prep the sites well.

• Logan L Johnson
    7 år siden

Do not amend the soil! The dogwood should get about 18' tall, and the redbud should get about 20-25' tall.

• Embothrium
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Do not amend the soil!

Yes: plant in loosened existing soil, without modification and then use mulch afterward to improve moisture retention etc. Planting woody and other long term plants in small areas of amended soils was being seen to produce a stunting effect in organized trials conducted by professional scientists by the late 1960s.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.