edubya

POLL: Should there be a TV in a child's bedroom?

Emily H
7 år siden

Toddler Room · Mere information

We've had debates on whether televisions belong in adult bedrooms, but what about when it comes to the kids in the house? Is a child's bedroom an okay place for a television, or would you forbid this?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Sure, why not?
No way.
Other - Tell us below

(63) kommentarer

• redecoratingtropicalcalm
    7 år siden
    I don't have children but I vote No and that goes for us as well - we don't have any electronic devices in our bedroom aside from our lamps and alarm clocks - even our phones stay charging in the family room or kitchen through the night. I just understand the importance of restful sleep, how I feel, and the stimulating effects of watching television, computers, and even reading from electronic readers. I guess it keeps your brain going and keeps you from unwinding. I feel it when I even stay up watching TV in the family room too long, I'm just not my best self the next day. The bedroom should be a calm peaceful place for rest so that your tomorrow is the best it can be and that your body and mind can best handle what the new day brings including the normal stress of school, work, and life - lack of proper sleep takes a toll on health and I recognize it for me and I would assume anyone; child or adult a good restful nights sleep is only a positive.

Also in observation of people in my life I think a tv or computer becomes a babysitter. I've seen how parents are busy and that's understandable but the allowance of too much watching or playing becomes a way to keep kids busy while parents get what they need to done but the results aren't always the most positive with regular exercise, imagination, family participation, studying, behavior, obesity, helping with family home maintenance, etc.

Perhaps what I've observed isn't a common but we can't argue that things have changed with kids in conjunction with the increase in technology.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone
  • stargazer51
    7 år siden

We don't even have a TV in our room!

• PRO
    Abbott Matthew A Wood Floors
    7 år siden

t.v. or any other screens, phone, computer, for kids, teens, or parents, nothing good comes from any of it, bad habits, bad sleep, bad behavior, bad relationships, not just kids but parents too.

• PRO
    Lana Lucky Finds
    7 år siden

We do not have TV at home in any room. We, however, have a computer network both wired and wireless. Kids need to do homework on their computers, so prohibiting computers (laptops) in kids' bedrooms is not an option. Our greatest concern is not computers but smart phones. They are addictive mini-computers that can be easily sneaked into the bed. Our recent purchase is VR system. Kids play video games any way. At least, VR forces the kids to move during the games.

• Mary Dillon
    7 år siden

I've seen and heard too much of people using their TVs and other devices to isolate themselves from one another. Apparently for some people, it must be just plain easier than learning to deal with others. Home is where we first learn to "put up with" other people. It sure looks to me like the whole world could use a double dose of practice with that!!!!

• Joan Fenendael
    7 år siden

My children have their own children. They weren't allowed TVs in their bedrooms and, so far, neither my 10 and 8 yr old grandsons nor the preschoolers have TVs. The the older ones have controlled access to iPads which only have young kids' games and movies. The 4 yr old has a Leapfrog pad, again with controlled access. There will be plenty of time for them to develop bad TV habits on their own.

I don't have a TV in the bedroom, and don''t ever plan to. When I go to bed, it's for sleep, not TV viewing.

• J K
    7 år siden

I know the question here is TV....And I've said I fall asleep to the TV. But so often, I turn on something calming or a happy movie I've seen before and I fall asleep to it, with a sleep timer. I won't watch anything stimulating--especially the news, before sleep. Sometimes I bring my laptop to bed--but I won't do "work" on it. It is my down time maybe to shop online or check in with a few friends. I limit "work" to my desktop computer. Then I close it and go to sleep. My husband no longer sleeps in our room as his pager goes off all night.

I try to make the distinction as to how each device serves as a "tool" and I prioritize for what I use it. While it seems we are always on our devices, just yesterday, I was able to communicate with my kids while they were at school, order lunch online while waiting for the dealer to bring my car around from service, and take care of multiple items while I was out and about in between appointments. We are more productive as a result, but we are also expected to meet everyone's needs instantaneously. The rhythm of life has hit warp speed. Self discipline is a must in every life--consciously picking and choosing where we spend our time and when and what types of media we let into our lives, and not reacting to every communication form every piece of media with which we are bombarded daily, but knowing how to control and balance it ourselves.

• Patricia Bisignano
    7 år siden
    A firm no here. My husband and I don't have one in our bedroom. I've never wanted to watch television in bed. It gives me the feeling that I'm ill. People watch television in bed when they're ill and in the hospital. I don't believe children need to spend a lot of time in their bedroom. Bedrooms are for sleeping. If they want to get away and read, draw, or write and need some space and quiet time that's fine. But otherwise take a place with the family in a common room.
    I always say it would be very disappointing to a thief breaking into our house. They might even feel sorry for us, go out to their truck and bring in a television. We have one and find that quite sufficient.
  • ggrossbrown
    7 år siden
    There is too much information out there supporting limiting technology for children's development. Putting equipment that children have to share teaches them negotiation, meditation, sharing, and communication skills
  • Joan Fenendael
    7 år siden

ggrossbrown you are so right. Kids get their own rooms, guest rooms, TVs, iPhones, cars at 16. Meanwhile they can't communicate at a dinner table, or spell, or write cursive and part of the reason is screen time, whether a TV, laptop, iPod, smartphone. Some are never required to share anything until they get into their freshmen dorm room. Rant over!

• ggrossbrown
    7 år siden
    Joan
    Again, there's lots of research concerning adjustment to college worth sharing and adjusting to roommates too. The more you have experience with the above skills the more successful at dorm living and work experience.
  • PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    7 år siden

For a teenager, yes. For a toddler, no.

• judyrud
    7 år siden

Let them read books.

• Joan Fenendael
    7 år siden

judyrud I couldn't agree more.

• hwswthr
    7 år siden

No tv in bedroom unless bedridden. If stress keeps me up at night, I go to liv rm recliner, turn on home shopping for white noise and usually fall asleep.

Smartphones are too addictive. So a big no for kids getting smartphones, too. I know some parents that take their kids phones before bedtime. Not bad idea.

• k_schenone
    7 år siden

No way! Not in cars either!!

My children are young adults and they were not allowed tvs in their rooms. We did allow it in the car on long trips.

The purpose was to promote family and to monitor what they watched.

I believe it was a good decision as they are all well rounded young adults that know how to communicate with others.

• Bruce Crawford
    7 år siden

Our kids did not have TV's in their rooms and somehow they managed to grow up and turn out just fine! Both are avid readers. Coincidence?

• tooky58
    7 år siden

The TV did not come on until after dinner for the news. Saturday morning cartoons for an hour. The only time we got it during the day was if we were sick and then dad put it and use in their room. Usually though, if we were sick enough for that we slept all day. Bruce, guess what? If offered either a tv or all the books I wanted-books it would be.

• An ne
    7 år siden

We are a close-knit family of 4, we love doing things together. It is much more fun to discuss and decide what TV show to watch, then cuddle with the kids and pets in front of the screen, while drinking a cup of tea. It's all about the experience of watching TV, so I don't even understand why kids would NEED a separate TV in their rooms. I read a coupe of comments here, which mentioned "monitoring" what kids watch - seems to me like once the TV is in your child's room, the cat is out of the bag, and you can't really know what they are watching... to me, the best way to make sure you control the exposure to TV and quality of shows our children watch is to have them have access to one TV only - the "main" one.

• PRO
    User
    7 år siden

In our home TVs are only in common areas. We have 4 kids & when they are all home at the same time, if they cannot agree on what to watch they have to solve the problem among themselves. Our oldest has a TV in his room, but he is away at college & his room becomes the guest room most of the time.

I am not opposed to putting 1 in a child's room , but only after they are old enough and mature enough to handle it without us parents "holding their hand". They need to prove that they can shut it off on time & not turn it on until the right time, no falling asleep or waking up to TV, no TV until all schoolwork is done, chores are done, etc. Our oldest was very responsible & got his at age 9. The other 3 are aged 6-13 & they still have a long ways to go.

• PRO
    Janet H. Designs
    7 år siden

I don't think proper parental supervision is possible if kid's have their own tv in their room. What are they watching? Besides, it promotes passive activity. When I grew up, their was 1 tv in the family room and it encouraged democratic vote on what to watch (although my parents votes carried more weight). If one of us kids didn't like the choice, we could always go upstairs to our room(s) and READ or play board games or cards. Don't kids read these days?

• johsmi
    7 år siden

Why would you want a TV to "educate" your child?

• Delora Dickey
    7 år siden

I have less issues with TVs in bedrooms than with phones/ipads/dvds in vehicles. What a waste of family-time communication! In a home, most members are busy with various tasks or seeking solace after a crazy day. TV can be a respite. In a vehicle, with Mom/Dad/kids contained in a small space, it's a perfect "captive audience" opportunity to catch up. Ask about school, friends, activities. Play games, i.e., out-of-state license plates, red cars, tallest trees...whatever. Start a discussion of "What would you do IF...?" When I see parents packing mountains of "stuff" to keep the kids "entertained" on a trip (even short ones to the supermarket), I cringe at the waste of personal time with the children. Same goes for "music" on camping trips and family outings. Listen to the "music" of the birds, animals, wind through the trees, and heaven forbid...conversation!

• User
    7 år siden
    My sister and I had a TV to play video games. I would let my children have a TV. If you don't trust your child with a TV you are gonna have a hard time....
  • fgivelis
    7 år siden

No tv. Had one in the family room growing up. Today no tv in our bedroom or children's room. They are growing up now with little tv permission. It just isolates people when they should be conversing or playing outside or enjoying family time with board/card games together. When they had to get iPads for school it created problems. During the summer, the iPads are returned to school and we go back to enjoying family time together.

• 4megarama
    7 år siden

don't think that ANY media should be in the kid's room up to certain ages. guess that the phone would have to be allowed for pre- teens on up to late teens. it is not a trust issue imo but a matter of placing things that can give rise to some real problems. as young children they should have a place that can be quiet. that is a rare thing these days and a valuable experience.

• laurieinpa
    7 år siden

We have never had more than one TV in the house, and that was in a "TV room". Computers were always kept in public spaces. Either a "family room" or an "office/ TVroom".

All the research to date says that children should have VERY LIMITED exposure to TVs and computers, until age 7.

There is way too much brain and physical development going on to allow hours of passive sitting in front of a screen.

And now, with no kids in the house anymore, I find >myself< rarely watching TV. We even cut the cable...

• Joan Fenendael
    7 år siden

With the very real threat of sexual predators on the internet and the undeveloped reasoning of pre-teens and teens, having a computer in a common area is not a bad idea. Phones that can be used to call and text, with parental supervision, in my opinion, be the norm.

• mia506
    7 år siden

We did not let our two children have TVs in their rooms for one specific reason......we would have never seen them. We only had one in the living room until we upgraded and moved the old one into the den where the computer also was. We did monitor what they viewed on both devices. They became smart, college educated, social beings. Our grandchildren do not have their own TVs either. We have never had one in our master bedroom either....never will. Our TV is still rarely on until the evening news comes on. I could live without one easily but hubby could not.

• PRO
    Yellow Barn
    7 år siden
    It was very nice to hear everyone's thoughts on this matter. My husband and I would like to share the fact that in the end, your children will do what they really want to do one way or another just like adults. That is the free will we were given. What we have found to work the best way, ( with having two daughters 13 years apart), is that we did not allow electronics in there bedrooms because we chose to have a family (just by the chance that most likely that will happen if you are married) and not boarders. The family atmosphere is more positive when they have reasons to roam out of their private space (their bedroom) because they do not have a babysitter (tv) to distract them. Watching things in earsight and eyesight of a parent or sibling promotes conversation and healthy debates. We agree with the experts that children should not have any screen time until they are three. Believe it or not, but books were cherished at a young age by my girls. The computers and smart phones are here to stay and can serve as fabulous tools ( not addictions) to help us on different endeavors. Hands on good old fashioned work though is a more necessary skill to be learned. Heaven forbid if the electricity goes out. We found that if you teach your children where you stand on the rules, then any bad effects they get from going against those good rules is on their heads. Most of the time they come to see that wisdom. The more trust you impart to them, the more they will want to live up to that trust, because they know there are consequences they have to own. By the way, I imposed on all of us years ago to "no phones used in the bathroom". The germs on phones is bad enough! Thank you for hearing me out. Let's make happy homes! yellowbarninteriors.com
  • alizapedsem
    7 år siden

We don't have a TV anywhere in the house! My kids were a bit unhappy in their teenage years but not only are they glad we didn't capitulate to their whining but both of my adult children who have moved out have chosen to go TV free

• eneguess
    7 år siden

I was recently dining in a restaurant when a family with children came in. The parents got the kids settled into their seats and then the mother passed out a stack of ipads.....one to each child. My first thought was "what the heck....are you kidding me?" But then I watched as the 3 year old fired it up and proceeded to use it quite competently, as did the others. None of the kids spoke to each other or the parents. They all sat quietly, glued to their screens. I chuckled thinking the old crayons and placemats that my kids got when we dined out were obsolete........but I left feeling a bit sad that technology has so taken over children's lives.

• Anita Dempsey
    7 år siden

Not in my room; not in the kids' room. Adults are the example. If you have a tv in your room, naturally kids will want one too.

Now, I haven't had children yet, so maybe I'll come back in a few years and update this! Haha

• dianneslaundrey
    7 år siden

As an educator and school administrator, I say NO! I appreciate that parents will monitor usage, but I can't tell you how many times I've seen parents totally shocked because they thought they were monitoring usage, and their child then admits s/he's gone around that monitoring. Parents get tired, need sleep themselves, and it's amazing how even young children can find ways to watch TV once the parent is asleep. Screens can be put away and stay with a parent at night. TVs are stationary (for the most part). Unfortunately, all of the times I've heard about TV usage problems have stemmed from difficulties at school (tired, lethargic, under-performing, etc, kids). Give them books and access to books. Rarely do those keep kids awake at night, and they're stretching their imaginations, increasing comprehension, and opening a whole world to them!

• User
    7 år siden

Fortunately, when my kids were growing up, we couldn't afford it and my grandkids don't have a TV in their room either. However, they do have computers, Kindles, smart phones, etc. So I'm not sure there's a difference. I voted "no way" because it can separate the family, but I'm not a fanatic on the issue and both of my kids make sure they have family time with their kids. Now, having said all of that - I did set up a game room for my grandkids with a TV, but those rules are different, right? I probably should change my vote to wishy-washy.

• tooky58
    7 år siden

I commented to my husband that if we had teenagers who wanted a smartphone they'd have to get a job to pay for it. And even then, there would be useage/app rules.

• PRO
    Koru Architects
    7 år siden

No - watching too much TV especially alone and/or at bedtime is well known to be unhealthy for children. But this is more of a personal lifestyle question than a design question. From a design point of view, there are many other things that would look better in a bedroom than a TV, and are better at promoting a healthy lifestyle too.

• Sylvia T
    7 år siden
    My kids have tv in their rooms I don't see the big deal, they know the rules about when to watch it. They are not overweight, my teenager it's an honor roll student in high school and my elementary one is an advanced student. So I think as long as you set rules I don't see why not.
  • Joan Fenendael
    7 år siden

syltallman you are lucky that you have kids that follow the rules. I had a friend once who said if her oldest boy, good student, played in the band, high achiever asked if he could take a cookie and she said yes, he would take 1 cookie. If her second son asked if he could take a cookie and she said yes, he'd take half he package. Same with my two grandsons, one is very literal, one takes liberties. It's like the old book an movie, "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" by Deborah Kerr. When she asked her kids why they ate the daisies they answered "because you did't tell us not to."

• PRO
    Lapchi Rug Design Studio
    7 år siden

If TV was family time only and in a public, comfortable room set up for family sharing of TV, games, reading etc., then content is monitored and questions can be answered. There is much to learn for everyone these days in children's programs as well!

• Sylvia T
    7 år siden
    Joan fenendael thank you! I do understand that every kid is different. My kids are all different but when it comes to rules we have taught them since very early in age. I'm not saying they were easy but they learn if parents actually take the time to explain to them and teach them.
  • PRO
    Spenard Builders Supply - Eagle River
    7 år siden

I don't condone the Digital babysitter. But Im not gonna lie my son ( 9yo) has a TV and Xbox in his room. He got them for his 9th birthday. But he has to earn TV/Game time. I have the controllers until homework and chores are done. And his time is regulated to 1 hr on school days and 3 hrs on weekends. Its winter here and temps have been dropping below zero so going outside is not happening. During the summer we are out hiking camping etc. so the TV doesn't get much use.

• Nancy in Mich
    7 år siden

I am interested in eneguess's example of the family at the restaurant, where the mom handed out the iPads to each child and they each quietly kept busy, doing their own thing. There was a comparison made to the crayons and place mats of earlier generations. That got me thinking. I imagine that when restaurants started offering the coloring supplies, there were plenty of strict "children should be seen and not heard" types who were just as indignant that people were now bribing or indulging children with crayons as there are people who now get their backs up that kids are kept quiet with electronics. I imagine hearing them say that children should be able to sit quietly and eat nicely without bothering the adult conversation.

Really, what is so evil about electronics? Yes, we would prefer that a family interact at a dinner table at home, but in a restaurant do you want the story-telling and loud laughing or disagreements or good-hearted teasing of the family dinner table? It is nice to be able to interact quietly, and maybe this family can do that too. Maybe they just spent 8 hours together in a car and are all talked out, and access to wifi while they eat is their treat for not fighting on the road.

My friend and I were talking about media use in our homes. I have no children and was telling her how I recently got a huge TV because the print on news scrawls and other parts of programs has gotten too small for my old eyes to see. She told me that no one watches their big TV with her any longer, as her two college-age sons watch everything on hand-held devices and her husband on his laptop.

I agree with the person way up in the thread who said that the question of TVs in the bedroom is an outdated concept. Even I will watch Netflix on my Kindle or laptop anywhere in the house.

• Claire Louise
    7 år siden

Outdated concept, use tablets, pcs, or phones to watch TV

• PRO
    Upper Earth
    7 år siden

Kid's need to be outside in nature. period.

• Joan Fenendael
    7 år siden

I cannot accept the concept of watching a TV show on my laptop, iPad or iPhone. Too small.

• Nancy in Mich
    7 år siden

Joan, if you were to try it, you may be surprised. Since it is so close to you, it works better than you think. I am extremely near-sighted and when I use my Kindle in bed, I set it on my chest and use it without my glasses, very close to my face. I watch TV shows and movies on it this way, too, as well as read books.

• twoxhockeymom
    7 år siden

Absolutely not! NO electronics in the bedroom!! I hear children at school talking about staying up late, playing video games or on social media. Some kids are waking up in the middle of the night to play their games. Sneaky! I see the dark circles under their eyes and decreased performance in school. My own children were seriously deprived....no gaming systems. The last time my son asked for a video game system for Christmas gift, I told him to choose between that and a new hockey stick. He made a good choice! Get your kids involved in sports, fishing, dance/music/arts, or family activities that get them away from screen time. Brain development and learning occur through whole body movement, practicing language with a real person , and new life experiences.

• Ruth Uhl
    6 år siden

We have four sons who are all now grown up, two with kids of their own. Our TV is now 24 years old! And it is not a big one. We would watch an occasional movie with the guys when they were still at home, but TV could only be watched with permission. Right now I have TV cable ONLY because it is actually cheaper for my total pkg - as we have internet, too - which is crazy. We have all preferred to read, or garden, or cook, or take a walk or bike ride rather than watch TV. (ditto for constant screen time on other electronic items) And no one had their own phones until they went off to college. May I say they are polite, all had scholarships, and they are all extremely well-read. In addition, they ration their own "screen-time" of any sort. I believe this is part of why they are interesting to be around - they like real people more than social media. We have had up to 27 bookcases at one time, and they were not for show, either. As far as I am concerned, there are very few programs worth watching. Of course, everyone has the right and the responsibility to make their own decisions; this is just what we did in our own family.

• Dingle Hopper
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

When my child was about four years old, lightening came through the house and took out everything plugged in. I decided to not replace the TV. On her 12th birthday, I thought about it and was thankful that I didn't replace it. We talked, played learning games, and walked every evening. I replaced the TV when she was 18 and off to college. After a few months, she came home and watched the TV. I was surprised to hear her comment that people act stupid on TV and act the same way in college. Honestly, that lightening hit was an amazing wonderful gift. In case you wonder, I was a single parent.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.