jendulson

Period home - where to put the TV?

Jennifer
7 år siden
We live in an old 1800's mill house, we're slowly renovating and restoring back to an elegant country home. I need some ideas for what to do with our TV, it's staying so where do I put it?
We have a chimney breast but there's a working wood burner so heat could be an issue for mounting the tv there - not sure whether mounting the tv is a good look?
We have it currently mounted off another wall on a movable arm but the wires are visible due to not having cavity walls and it just looks messy?
I'm open to a tv cabinet but have never found one that is simple and in keeping with a period home?
I've attached a few photos to give some ideas of the style of living room we have.
Help!?

(34) kommentarer

• minnie101
    7 år siden

Hi. This is the only tv cabinet I know of which disguises the tv (from Oka) and suits a period home. Is this what you're after or just something to stand it on? Perhaps you could add more photos of the space or can the tv only go where it is now?

• PRO
    Seven Integration
    7 år siden

Hi Jen, Can you post some more pics and if poss sketch a floor plan showing where you sit and any other key points of interest?

• PRO
    Woodpecker Flooring
    7 år siden

Hi Jen, we'd suggest a cabinet that works with the furnishings and flooring in your room. If you have a coffee table or sideboard, go for the same wood and finish. It would help to fill that corner and hide all the wires.

• PRO
    windowdressing-oxford.co.uk
    7 år siden

hi jean

why not consider have a mirror

that is the mirror the tv is fitted behind the mirror,there is a red button in the bottom corner of the mirror that activation the tv it leaves the room looking beautiful.

• temple274
    7 år siden
    Scour the auction houses and eBay and eventually you will find a cupboard you like which is in keeping with your house and will be perfect for hiding the television.
  • Jennifer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    This photo is of the layout, I'll upload a sketch too as soon as I can so you can see the positioning of the furniture. The bi-fold/double doors are not yet installed (we're at the beginning of our renovation!) but that is the corner where the TV is situated at the moment. I had assumed it would be too costly to move the aerial and connections?
  • Jennifer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Windowdressing - is that particularly expensive? Do you know where I look for that sort of thing?
  • Jennifer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Temple274 I think you may be right - not a quick fix but search for something that will suit but may be hard to match up to the flooring as woodflooring suggests - unless I paint white maybe to tie in with the dado and coving?
  • Jennifer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Sketch of layout and where the TV is positioned at the moment (on my children's white board sorry!), we're thinking of removing the under stairs cupboard to allow for better layout?
  • PRO
    Topology Interiors
    7 år siden

Hi!
    Where the TV currently is, why don't you try putting a corner tv unit http://www.lamaisoninteriors.co.uk/ekmps/shops/mikeoldroyd2/images/corner-tv-unit-26620-p.jpg like this with the TV on top?

Head to our website www.topologylondon.co.uk for more inspiration and discounted homeware

• PRO
    Seven Integration
    7 år siden

Hi Jen, If I was designing this room I would put the Tv the other side of the chimney breast on a dual arm pull out bracket. Moving the aerial socket is an easy enough job running the extension externally and then back in behind the new TV location. No visible wires (internally), store the TV flat against the wall when not in use and pull it out and swivel it if you need to when watching something. Any local aerial guy could do the extension for you if you weren't happy DIY'ing.

Thinking of mounting the TV above your fire? Read this first.

The only other option I think would be some kind of cabinet to put the TV on. Good luck!

• PRO
    windowdressing-oxford.co.uk
    7 år siden

Hi Jen

Yes i would expect it to be expensive contact an electrical contractor or interior designer the electrical company should have catalogues of these type of goods try them first.

• Victoria
    7 år siden
    Moving the aerial point isn't expensive. You can leave the existing one in position if you like, you just need a distribution device of some kind, loads of options depending on spec, and an aerial socket where you want it +/- data points if you want to distribute data.
  • Jennifer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thanks everyone, some great ideas and made me think a bit differently. Seven Integration I had worried about mounting it on the chimney breast - we can see some soot marks already after a couple of years of use so I can't imagine that with the heat would be good!
    Topology interiors - thanks that's similar to the built in cupboards in our playroom/lounge so will take a look at he website.
  • Victoria
    7 år siden
    Some cheap low-tech options, bung something like one of these in the loft and run aerial cables to multiple rooms.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-lda2061l-s-4-way-vhf-uhf-aerial-amplifier-2-inputs-6-1-outputs/64800
  • PRO
    Glass Rose
    7 år siden
    Hi,
    I would place the tv on top of the fireplace.
    I think it would look nice there.
  • PRO
    Custom Electronic Design Ltd
    7 år siden

hi Jan, looking at your room layout the tv position in the corner as per your diagram is an obvious position but it does spoil the look of your stylish room. Maybe consider a custom built corner cabinet with a tv lift? this can be built to sympathetically blend in with your room, hide cables and provide a tv at the correct height on demand, see an example (tv lift in gymnasium) here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZ_KbixmXhIGJ2iKqCk28w 

• Vonn
    7 år siden

Hi Jan. We found an armoire in pine and stained it ebony to suit my movie room. I lurve it. can't wait to see what you decide. Vonn

• PRO
    Nicholas Wells Antiques
    7 år siden
    The room has to work for you, there is no point everyone getting neck ache just so the TV can be hidden in a cabinet. It looks like the main focus of the room is the fire. The obvious spot to me would be above it. You could install one that is a mirror when not in use. Fit the cables into the chimney breast.
  • PRO
    Seven Integration
    7 år siden

DO NOT put your TV above the fireplace unless you want to be buying a new one every few years! Like you say Jen, you can see the soot that has gathered on your wall, and that's just what stuck to the wall, a vertical plain. Imagine the dust that will get inside a surface mounted TV with vents designed to pull air in from the bottom to cool the insides. Then of course you need to consider that it wont be drawing cool air in, the air will be hot from the fire.

• firtreecottage
    7 år siden

Hi, I'm fully on board with eletyadams idea re purpose built cabinet which you could match to your other furniture, and could move around as the mood fits. Where did you find your woodburner - just the style I'm looking for - any info gratefully received.

• Sonia
    7 år siden

I personally don't like tv's on the wall, especially above fireplaces. Dare I say tacky? Also they are too high which can cause kneck problems. I was told by an osteopath they should be just below eye level whilst sitting down. I have my tv on an oak stand, but I must say I would love a cabinet that encloses the tv completely like the Oka one. Here's a pic of mine - nothing original but it does the job.

• Mickey Mouse
    7 år siden
    Just bought a 1920s house the last owners took out all the chimney breast in my lounge I'm just left with their fire place against the flat wallcan anybody help give me advice on how I can make my lounge look homely without a fireplace
  • bagpuss2
    7 år siden
    Corner unit- would fit under your window
  • bagpuss2
    7 år siden
    Mickey Mouse - an electric stove perhaps? Or an inset electric fire and backing board?
  • Jennifer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thanks so much everyone, it's been great to read the ideas.

Eletyadams - what a fantastic unit - this is the sort of style I love and think would fit in with the decor and style of the property. I wonder whether it would work in a soft white to match the dado and not clash with the oak flooring?

Firtreecottage - I agree something not fixed would be better. The stove was already here when we moved in so we're very lucky! It kicks out some heat too! I believe it was from our local stove place midland-stoves.co.uk
  • Jennifer
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Forziaitalia I tend to agree, they look good in really contemporary homes but I'm not convinced in older homes, and our sofa and chair are very low so neck ache would be an issue. I think I'll avoid chimney breast and go for a bespoke corner unit!
  • cheezilla
    7 år siden

Bespoke unit gets my vote.

• Sonia
    7 år siden

Jendulson that sounds fab! Good luck.

• PRO
    re-decorate
    7 år siden
    Do not mount your to on the wall above the fire. It will affect your insurance if anything was to happen. The likelihood is that the chimney breast is not as strong as an outside wall increasing the chance of it falling off.

And it is also a bit "new house",

An old auction armoire can easily be adapted to accommodate your tv and still have storage for computer consoles and DVD s but I recall Laura Ashley did one ... I might look it up and see.
  • PRO
    Nicholas Wells Antiques
    7 år siden

I can see why you struggle with this arrangement, it is monstrous in the corner. Have you ever thought of just not having a tv?

• PRO
    Conquest Fine Bespoke Furniture
    7 år siden

This kind of built in corner unit would work well for you and make the room flow whilst keeping to the style of your home. Hope it helps, Rachel

• PRO
    Newleaf Furniture
    7 år siden
    If you go for a custom built-in media unit get one with pocket doors, which will slide away into the unit when you need the doors open to use the remote controls.

The attached photo is of one I made earlier this year.

Regards

Nick
    Newleaf Furniture
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.