henry_fernandes

need help with push-open IKEA drawers

Henry Fernandes
7 år siden

We have a new IKEA kitchen installed and we went with push-open for the cabinets and drawers. We are using IKEA's UTRUSTA push-opener for this: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80230224/.

The push-open on the cabinets works well, however not so much on the drawers. The drawers are too heavy and the UTRUSTA units barely work. It's frustrating.

I know that IKEA uses Blum Tandembox Plus runners for their drawers. I was hoping to purchase Blum's Tip-On for this, however I have conflicting information as to whether this will work. Some people say that IKEA uses standard Blum Tandembox Plus drawer runners, while others say that these are custom made for IKEA.

Has anybody done this with their IKEA drawers? Should I be able to purchase regular Tip-On for Tandembox Plus in order to do this?

(40) kommentarer

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 år siden

IMO this would never work on drawers since they can be very heavy that is why they work best on cabinet doors they are light weight.In fact i don’t think they were ever meant to used on drawers except for the sorting cabinet . They also do not work if you have installed the drawer dampers for soft close

Henry Fernandes thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Henry Fernandes
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thanks, acm. We've decided to get handles which are very similar to the ones you suggested.

• Joanna
    6 år siden

Blum makes a different product called TIP ON.

We bought one to try and it does NOT work on blum slides, despite the name on the slide saying TANDEMBOX PLUS.

I contacted Blum and they told me that we would have to replace all slides.

what a pain in ...ikea's butt

• User
    6 år siden

OLD POST

• Nick Y
    6 år siden
    We just bought the push opener too. Do we install on the side of the door where the hinges are or do we install it on the shelf? Please help!
  • blewline
    6 år siden
    Refer to the instructions for proper placement. They don’t go on hinge side or shelf. It also depends if you purchase inline or t box sleeves. It also matters on the type of cabinets you have frameless, inset etc.
  • PRO
    Blue Room Photography
    6 år siden

I tried IKEA’s handles like those ACM suggested. But they pull up in the center and also scrape. We stopped after installing just one and now we are trying to find something else that works. Apparently push touch openers don’t work if you have the soft close drawers. I am at a loss. Anyone have another idea? I am not putting handles that require screws on the front of the drawers. So I am not sure what to do

• yassinsamir72 .
    5 år siden

I know it is very late

but I found if you put TWO push to open

one on each side will work just fine

• mikebone
    4 år siden

For future readers of this post - when i remodeled my kitchen with IKEA i spent some time designing a system that would allow professional BLUM push-to-open drawer hardware to be added to ikea cabinets.

these systems allow heavily laden drawers to be pushed at either edge or in the middle and will evenly and smoothly push the drawers out and work with the soft close maximera metal drawers.

Send me a message if you're interested.

• margotbarber
    4 år siden

Hi there I'd be interested mikebone in your method! Thanks

• Sherene Bennett
    4 år siden

Hi Mikebone, yes I am Also interested in your method. Please share :)

• giffney
    4 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}4 år siden

Me too. Almost done with kitchen and I'm tired of having no way to open my doors and drawers and want to know how to hack the drawers with the push opener.

• Anouk van Kleinwee
    4 år siden

Me too! Can you share how you did this?

• PRO
    Blue Room Photography
    4 år siden

Mikebond, I would like to know you did it, too. We put the push openers on all of the drawers, and some work pretty well, others have to be adjusted about every third or fourth time we open it. Regarding the weight.... some of my larger drawers are very full and heavy and the push openers work fine. A couple of others don't. My smaller drawers work fine most of the time. But none are 100%. So I would consider changing it out if you have a solution.

• mikebone
    4 år siden

Hello - thanks for the interest and apologies for the delay in responding !

BLUM makes a professional Tip-On system specifically designed for their "Tandem Box" drawer system. It is a very sophisticated system that includes a synchronization mechanism so that if you push the drawer at one side it actually triggers the release mechanism on the opposite side too.

What's nice about the system is that it is fully compatible with the soft close mechanism on Maximera drawers so you get soft opening and closing. It really gives the kitchen a high end feel.

With a little work, i have modified this system to operate with the IKEA drawers.

- It requires the BLUM trigger system & synchronization rod - $25 per drawer.

- A set of special brackets (upper drawers) & Molded Triggers (lower drawers) that i designed to allow Ikea system to use the above. I sell these for $25 a kit, which allows you to do a cabinet with two drawers, upper and lower.

- A special drilling jig which you can use for as many drawers as you need that aids in foolproof drilling to mount the brackets and adjust the trigger mechanisms - It includes a special self-centering drill - $195

With the jig, install takes about 10 minutes per drawer and with a bit of practice, you can get it down to about 5 minutes.

I am currently traveling on business but back home on Friday - if anyone is still interested then i can send you a video of the installed system and a walk through of the install. With the combination of Ikea drawers, you can do a whole kitchen for a fraction of the cost that professional businesses will charge you for this - because the BLUM drawer runners and Tandem box systems are quite a bit more pricey than this.

The system works 100% of the time and i have even tested it with 1/2 bags of cement in the drawers and it still opened them without a problem. I have it fitted on my kitchen which is an extensively hacked Ikea arrangement.

Again, thanks for the interest...

• Sherene Bennett
    4 år siden

Hi Mike Bone, thanks for the reply. I’m defo interested, I noticed that the prices are USD im in the Uk.

please send over your videos so I can see your invention in action

• Anouk van Kleinwee
    4 år siden

I am also still interested to see how you did this.

• mikebone
    4 år siden

Hello Folks - thanks again for the interest -

In general you can view the system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGRkZT22qpA

This is BLUM's promotional marketing for the mechanism.

I'll upload my video this evening to demonstrate that the experience you get is pretty much identical when using my retrofit system for IKEA.

Thanks

• mikebone
    4 år siden

Here's the link to my solution, fitted to 12 drawers in my kitchen which range from 36" wide to 24" wide. https://youtu.be/ACmLeBkIBaA

• Gladys Alegre-Kimura
    4 år siden

I wished I learned about this earlier because i would have saved a ton of money. I am mixing and matching the Blum Antaro tip on system with Ikea Maximera. I had to purchase the Blum Antaro system from another country. Does your tipon solution work for full length base drawers?

• mikebone
    4 år siden

Thanks for the interest: my solution does work for full length (36") Maximera drawers.

The Antaro system sync rods, push systems and triggers are pretty much identical to the Blum hardware that my solution relies on - the difference is that i've provided alternate triggers that will work with a standard IKEA Maximera drawer (modified slightly so that the drawer front is fitted at a slightly different height in relation to the runners - the outside appearance remains unchanged, as you can see from the video above.

• Adam McBride
    4 år siden

I have 24 inch Ikea base cabinets with 2 drawers in each. All drawers have the soft close option, and the push to open. All of the drawers open and close as expected. The pust to open mechanism is adjustable. It turns in either direction in order to adjust the pressure on the drawers. It's a very easy fix. Our drawers are loaded with heavy pots and pans and works great.

• mikebone
    4 år siden

Hi Adam - are your drawer "push to open" systems based on the little sprung cylinders, used to open handle-less drawers? thanks

• Adam McBride
    4 år siden

Hi Mike,

Yes they are, I've attached a picture of the drawers. They work perfectly. Just gotta push them in, before closing the drawers.

• Adam McBride
    4 år siden

Here is a picture of the push to open at different lengths/settings.

• mikebone
    4 år siden

thanks - so you need to manually 'reset ' them before closing the drawer?

I'm thinking that might get tiresome after a while in a kitchen where you're opening and closing drawers while handling pans, chopping food etc.. I tried this approach initially and found that if you don't push exactly in the middle of the drawer then only one side would fire which would stop the drawer from opening smoothly, or not at all in heavily laden 36" drawers.

But sounds like you've had a good experience with yours.

This is the basis of mine - it gets mounted under the drawers and pushes from both sides of the drawer, irrespective of where you push the drawer, due to the synchronization rod that triggers both sides of the drawer... They self reset - you just push the drawer in and it smooth closes and automatically resets the triggers ready for the next push on the drawer.

It's what they fit on pricey kitchens.

• Adam McBride
    4 år siden

It definitely does get tiresome at times. As soon as I open a drawer, I usually reset them right away. But the drawers always open as expected. I had to play around with the adjustment several times to get the correct amount of pressure.

Your solution however is beautiful! I watched the video and am very impressed. Well done sir

• Andres Calderon
    4 år siden

Hi Mike!
    I’m literally in the middle of attempting the simple solution that Adam suggested when I stumbled upon this post! Thank you google! Does your system support a 3 drawer combination? Instead of two 15” drawers in your example I have three 10” drawers with a hidden drawer on the top. Can your system be used with this configuration?
    Thanks!
    --Andres

• mikebone
    4 år siden

Hi Andres - I can confirm that my solution works for ALL configurations supported by IKEA - You will need to make your top external drawer (with 10" drawer) be a "LOW" maximera drawer (which is how IKEA sells that configuration if you purchase the whole cabinet) and your internal top drawer needs to be a LOW drawer also WITH a LOW drawer face. - Again, as per IKEA's configuration.

Drop me a line on pushopendrawer@gmail.com if you're interested or if i can provide any additional information.

All the best!

-Mike

• bbyblmrs
    4 år siden

Gladys Alegre-Kimura can you share a little more with what you had to do to use the Blum Antaro Tip on system?

• Ella Spada
    4 år siden

@yassinsamir72 . I know this thread is old but are you still happy with how the double push-open UTRUSTA system work on your Maximera drawers?

• Yassin Mohamed
    4 år siden

Very happy works like a charm :-)

• Ella Spada
    4 år siden

@Rasha Ghoneim That's good to hear! I am going to try it. Do you mind telling how you placed/configured them? One of each side?

• Gladys Alegre-Kimura
    4 år siden

@bbyblmrs - Because we put these together ourselves, I actually ordered the Antaro tip-on system from outside the US and had them shipped here for any external drawers since the Antaro system isn't available in the US for some apparent reason. I bought Ikea drawers for internal drawers which functioned as a normal pull-out because the Antaro and Ikea look very similar since they share the same white drawer slide look.

The Antaro system with tip-on includes slides which have slots for the tip-on module to slide into. If you want to have wooden drawer boxes, you can use Blum Movento system.

• PRO
    Blue Room Photography
    4 år siden

Update to my original post.... the doors and the smaller drawers work fine with the push open. The larger (and thus, heavier) work sometimes and sometimes not. They all open fine. But upon closing, sometime I have to simply turn one of the the push knobs a little bit and it closes. It does get tiresome but it doesn't happen all the time. We have adjusted to it and its worth the super modern look of not having any kind of handle on the front of the drawers.

• Gladys Alegre-Kimura
    4 år siden

Blue Room Photography, You probably need to swap out the push buttons for the ones designed for large doors. https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/blum-06856758-hinge-tip-on-mechanism-set-large-doors-fro-european-free-swing-hinges-white.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_search&utm_campaign=google_product_ads&source=googlebase&country=US&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw5H4zM_C6AIVBMNkCh0Tzwx3EAQYAiABEgIIafD_BwE

For the very large doors, which are full length, we sometimes put two push buttons close to each other.

• PRO
    Blue Room Photography
    4 år siden

Do you think it would work with the IKEA push buttons, putting two close together? I didn't get the BLUM, but have the IKEA ones.

• mikebone
    4 år siden

Before i came up with my solution - i looked at this extensively.

Problem seems to be

- You sacrifice the soft close of Maximera which gives a very nice feel.

There's no way to synchronize two push sticks if they are fitted on opposite sides of large drawers, which is what you need if you would want to trigger the drawers by pushing anywhere on the drawer. With multiple push sticks what i found is that you can get into a situation where you're trying to close a drawer and it's latching one push stick and triggering the other one.

I am not saying that you shouldnt try it and you may be happy with the outcome,. I eventually developed the BLUM solution for IKEA because i went with push sticks first on a mock up i built before fitting my kitchen and just couldn't get the result and feel that i wanted.

I had put together a second video that showed a very basic comparison between the BLUM solution i came up with and push sticks. And you can try multiple approaches and use longer push sticks and all of this may give you an improved operation - although you're still not going to solve the synchronization and soft close issue i think.

About 1 min into this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGuB9vfXALE

Good Luck with the experiments!

• Gladys Alegre-Kimura
    4 år siden

Yes. The Blum large push buttons are compatible with ikea.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.