dannybon

I've just bought a house! Slate in kitchen - yes or no?

Danny Donagh
7 år siden

I have just taken receipt of a home outside the Sydney metro area. It has a range of 1970s and 1980s features that I need some more opinions on.

Sorry if post too many times, but i have a lot of decisions to make!

keep it
rip it up
replace with ____

(16) kommentarer

• Luke Buckle
    7 år siden

Replace with polished concrete! Will only be a thin layer, though, so may not work unless you take it down pretty far.

• PRO
    Costello + Graham Design
    7 år siden

I would leave it but polish off that shiny varnish - you need to distract the eyes from the floor - when you update the kitchen it won't be so obvious. Make the lower cupboards a darker colour - not white. You should make all the other features simple & streamlined - the cupboard doors above just make it seem so busy - too much going on.

• samrose18
    7 år siden

I love slate floors, but I think you have to embrace the feeling they create and team with other natural surfaces like wood. There was some good design in the 70's and you could go with that vibe and run with it.

At the moment it is looking quite drab, a vibrant splash of orange would lift the mood of the room. I'd suggest buying some coloured paper or card and blu tacking it to the tiles to see how colour affects the room and whether that's something you like.

I've seen an American house on houzz that modernised a 70's house while staying true to the design features of the time and it looked fab. But it might not be your thing....

• Christy Reves
    7 år siden

Personally I like the floors. I would consider replacing the backsplash though. It would also help to install glass inserts with a design glass feature on the upper cabinets. A big change that isn't too costly. Congratulations on your new home.

• Nicole K
    7 år siden
    Had the same tile we just ripped it out!
  • pascoeyvonne
    7 år siden

It would be much more cost effective to work with the slate. Image sent by mazgardiner looks great. If the home was purchased for rental purposes, the plinth could be painted white, benchtop and splashback tiles painted (much cheaper than replacing) to blend in with slate colours. If you are going to live in the property, sometimes it's best to live with how it is and replace later when you have better understanding of what you want. Good luck with it all!

• Varinia
    7 år siden

I just ripped mine out and replaced with porcelain. Much easier to clean and makes the area look larger, brighter and more inviting.

• helendyjak
    7 år siden

I agree with pascoeyvonne's idea and as suggested live with it till U work out a plan of action, but collect all the advise as well.

• Jo M
    7 år siden

What is underneath it? We ripped our slate up recently (cold, hard and hadn't been sealed properly!). If you have floorboards underneath (like we had), then you just need to sand and coat them. So is quite an affordable option, especially if you do yourself.

• Kyrsten Bell
    7 år siden
    I'm not a fan of slate and lots of houses in this area have them, I've always wondered if they can be sanded flat, treated with something to make more porous, stained perhaps, with a matt surface?They are a natural product after all and I'm sure something could be done with them.
  • siriuskey
    7 år siden

You can coat them with a matt finish like floor boards they don't have to shine, although it looks cleaner

• siriuskey
    7 år siden

Are you replacing the cabinets as they and the splash back don't go with the floor, so does it mean keep floor or cabinets? This of a lovely Foodie in her kitchen, loving the green subway tiles, they would look good in your kitchen with the current floor.

• Louise
    7 år siden
    I really like the slate, I'm a fan even if it's dated now.

Looks great with thick wooden benchtops and it feels really nice on your feet in summer. I've got a similar kitchen just deciding how to update it with a big nod to its 70's origins (there'll be a lime green or orange accent somewhere by the time I'm done), even if it's just some fun bamboo bowls).
  • how2girl
    7 år siden
    No, had it, got rid of it (was an awful job, pay someone else to do it if you can). It's difficult to clean, dark, uneven, uncomfortable. Can be tiled over if it's stable & not drummy.
  • Jennifer Bradley
    6 år siden

I love slate - never had it in a kitchen as I'd worry about hardness and dropping things - but always found it both beautiful and easy to look after. I'd be inclined to simplify the rest of the kitchen to go with it, and yes, less shiny finish, but slate is a classic and looks expensive when done well. Yours looks good to me, but spashbacks and colour of cupboards could change (cheaply).

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.