pennmanor

What to include in a custom home?

pennmanor
7 år siden

We're in the process of building a custom home in Texas and the plans are all but done. The house is right at 5,000 sf, 4 bedrooms (all upstairs), a craft room, study, dining, game room, 2 car garage. I'm looking for "must have" items to incorporate. This is what we have thus far:

1. Exterior: Soffit exterior lighting and plugs for Christmas lights, turf in the backyard (grass in the front), pool with outdoor kitchen, a pool bath, speakers
  2. Climate controlled garage with work/tool station
  3. Kitchen: Sponge drawer, maybe 2 dishwashers (thoughts), instant hot water circulating system, RO system for drinking/ice machine, bottom cabinet drawers,
  4. Bath: drawer plugs
  5. House Guts: Foam insulation, 2x6 framing, artisan siding, thoughts on tankless water heaters or HVAC considerations?
  6. Technology: Pre Wired alarm and camera...what other low voltage considerations should be made? This one really stresses me out!
  7. Tips on outlet placement?

(13) kommentarer

• Lisa G
    7 år siden

I would add a utility sink in the garage with hot/cold water, hose bib near the location you'll want to wash your cars, and spend time deciding on the best HVAC system for your huge house -- I'd think you'd want at least 2 zones (upstairs/downstairs). If we could have afforded it at the time we built, I would have insulated every single interior wall and in between floors and solid doors are a must (we went from a home with solid doors to our new home with hollow doors and they suck).

• everdebz
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Not current for me, but I'm saving ideas like you are.

Hidden Power Outlet · Mere information
    Central Ohio Bed & Bath Renovation · Mere information

• everdebz
    7 år siden

PRO / sagemodern: "An HRV is designed to bring in fresh air and exhaust stale air. The benefit of an HRV is that when it brings in cool fresh air in the winter it uses the heat from the air being exhausted to warm the fresh air coming in. It is an efficient way to heat air. The air grates in this picture were custom made. A local steel fabricator laser cut the ventilation holes."

Martis Camp #246 · Mere information

• apple_pie_order
    7 år siden

First floor bedroom with walk in shower.

• everdebz
    7 år siden

PRO / HPD Architecture: "The mechanical contractor installed these linear vents. The brand is Titus and any decent HVAC contractor that specializes in construction (not just maintenance) could install them."

Contemporary Dining Room · Mere information

• everdebz
    7 år siden

Maybe you meant this, but I like night lighting! seen from the street, and from indoors both!!!

Otherwise, it's so dark when you're in the country and nothing outside is lit up....

The Taylor House · Mere information

• everdebz
    7 år siden

I want to learn more about inside insulation for noise control....so is it regular insulation [placed within interior walls]?

• User
    7 år siden

The best investment is in a good architect for a good home design. There are way to many bad designs being built. Especially in TX for some reason.

Kitchen Sink Design where every material and builder cliche possible is thrown at the home is far too common. If it has more than 4-5 gables and 2 cladding materials, you too may be a victim of aKitchen Sink Home Designer. Who very rarely is an actual architect

• calidesign
    7 år siden

A mudroom is very useful, with a bench, cubbies and hooks for backpacks, shoes, etc. Also, do some research before you decide on artificial turf - it is full of chemicals, will breakdown in heat, retains bacteria, and will need to be replaced at some point. There are so many better natural alternatives.

• PRO
    Harmonic Series
    7 år siden

As far as the low voltage (stressful) considerations go, the plans should be marked with all wiring needed now and in the future. I would recommend speaker wire to most rooms, fiber to multiple locations, and cat6a or cat7 to all rooms and TV locations. If you upload or send me the plans, I may be of more help if it is still needed. If you are interested in automated lighting, you may want to consider low voltage keypads, or centralizing all lighting loads to one location and using Lutron RadioRa2 (I recommend the former). There are many considerations depending on budget but having the cabling in the right places in the future will never cause regret. Hope this helps.

• PRO
    Harmonic Series
    7 år siden

I have also experienced low hot water pressure while sharing one tankless water heater with another bathroom. The best setup I have seen consisted on one tankless water heater and one pump dedicated to each bathroom in the house.

• jhope
    7 år siden
    Have you thought about a 3 car garage? To me, a house of this size, I would expect more room in the garage unless you also have something detached for storage and extra vehicles.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.