lisa_dalheimer

Wooden laminate choice for our kitchen

Lisa D
7 år siden
We're having a kitchen revamp in the new year, painting cabinet, new tiles, and laminate floor. Cabinets will be white country kitchen style. I was happy to let hubby choose the floor, but when I checked his choice against our oak furniture I don't think it goes. See photo 1 sample to right - his choice. I prefer either of the samples in photo 2 - opinions please so it's not just me!

(17) kommentarer

• Minfas Afan
    7 år siden
    the one on the right in photo 2 looks great n would go perfectly with the oak furniture
  • Daisy England
    7 år siden
    Hubby's choices are way off. Mixing 2 timbers is difficult to do. It just doesn't look right.

I'd stick with oak furniture and oak flooring or a definite dark contrast.
  • Jonathan
    7 år siden
    I might consider painting the furniture because even a match now won't match in a year as the real oak will change colour but the floor will remain the same.
  • PRO
    FBD Solutions Ltd
    7 år siden

In photo , option 2 (right photo) would look great! The colour contrasts the oak furniture colour and ties in with the effect. But both look great!

• PRO
    Woodpecker Flooring
    7 år siden

Hi Lisa,

As you're going for a country style kitchen, we think a natural oak shade would make a nice complement and help to bring a feeling of warmth to your space. Many of the samples in your photos have quite an ashen tone which can look cold beneath the feet. We think the 2nd sample in the 2nd pic would work the best out of them all but you could even go a little warmer for a more homely feel. A shade like the below will also match a little more closely to your oak furniture:

https://woodpeckerflooring.co.uk/product/wembury-cotswold-oak/

• Lisa D
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Many thanks for all the comments - I had pretty much decided yesterday on the right sample in option 2, as comments suggest. Just needed reassurance. Room is quite dark in the winter so a lighter warmer colour will work well. I think the ashen colours are probably more trendy which is why my hubby preferred but we need to tie together what we have as we are revamping not renovating.
  • Marisol Garces
    7 år siden
    I agree with Woodpecker Flooring, re a darker colour.
    I just (last week) replaced my floors, including the kitchen. I was going with laminate because it was cheaper, but decided to bite the bullet and put engineered wood flooring. The price was a bit more but the difference is huge! I can't tell you how happy I'm with the new floor. The rooms have alive and all my furniture looks better.
  • Lisa D
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thanks for context I have 2 small children, so hard wearing laminate is a better choice than real wood with all the toy items that get driven over it. Also as I'm sprucing up as opposed to total renovation, I'm managing costs carefully.
  • twamleyk
    7 år siden

I agree that a darker wood/laminate would look better than a lighter one which is just off. I see that you are worried about a dark room, but wood is warm and the rest of hte room is white/bright, so should be fine.

• alyper
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Laminate best in a kitchen as real wood can stain from water and grease. I don't think it matters if the floor a different shade from the table. Have just done a kitchen and living area in a pale wood laminate and am delighted with the effect. Would recommendation spending a bit extra on the underfelt. Makes a huge difference in sound absorption!

• PRO
    Parker Bathrooms & Kitchens
    7 år siden

We love quick step, not just because they have one of the best professional cycling teams but because of the quality too. With woods we always recommend different tones, we prefer the bottom two here at Parker's.

• PRO
    Alban Gray Interiors
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

I would say that sample two is better but only because it is a warmer toned wood. To be honest I don't think that either of them go. The laminate you have chosen is cold and contemporary where as oak is warm in tone and stereo-typically traditional. I have to agree with "Man around the house" maple or walnut would be a better match, although sticking to oak may work best. Either way, I hope you find the right floor for your kitchen!

• headers13
    7 år siden

I don't think either of options go & could look like too much wood. Not sure some laminates are suitable for kitchens either if there was a leak etc. Tile Giant do a brilliant tile that looks more like wood but you could get the white version that would look good - without seeing the rest of your house. Will find the link.

• headers13
    7 år siden

Here is the Tile Giant 'wooden tiles' - just had the light oak put in my conservatory looks amazing. http://www.tilegiant.co.uk/sequoia-limed-oak-white-wood-effect-tile.html

• jacqui7590
    7 år siden

I think the legs clash with the flooring - all are similar tone. The table legs would look good if one was much darker wood for example. Could go with either of those floor samples if you were to paint the legs of the table a darker colour or white.

• Lorien Clark
    7 år siden

Loving these tiles from TMK Tiles - http://www.tmktiles.co.uk/index.php/product/classic-wood-nut-19cm-x-80cm-2/

Give them a look, best floor tiles I've ever used!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.