tresmamma

What's your opinion on all white walls?

tresmamma
7 år siden
I have recently been thinking about painting my walls white. I love the airy, light, crisp look. Today I went into an RH store and it looked AMAZING! I noticed that they had painted their walls white. They left the back of the store with original paint (dark and sort of brown taupey) and the difference between front of store and back was huge. Now I'm even more convinced I want to do it. Curious how others feel about it.

(109) kommentarer

• suzyq53
    7 år siden

You have too many two of kinds already. Two lamps. Two pictures. Two mirrors? I would remove the lamps on the buffet and hang both paintings over the buffet. Put the mirrors on the wall where the art is now.

• libradesigneye
    7 år siden

Tresmamma - I'm sorry I missed your earlier post but I'm glad you are happy with the room. Must agree w Suzy Q about two mirrors -/ consider watching for / investing in one larger painting for over the buffet that wows you. . .In general in answer to the original question, Globally - white walls work well when you have either "Loads of natural light" / OR / "Loads of Architectural Detail" - and is heightenedwhen you select the right white / layered whites ..

Best case is when you have both . . . You've got loads of architectural detail. . and you needed a change that brought light into this space. Why not enjoy a change?

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas All!!!

• tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Flo, can you mock the mirrors hanging horizantally please. The buffet was off centered by about 10 inches in the previous picture. Thanks!!!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

Here is mock up with some art. I had to find a similar chandelier and "paste" over yours to get it in front of art, if you know what I mean. The problem the new wall color is creating for you is it doesn't work with your lamps now or your mirrors or your existing art work. So, Houston, we have a problem. I wonder if painting that long wall your gray again so either mirrors or art has that background might be in order?

tresmamma · Mere information
    Notice I also put new buffet lamps, which I think you need anyway, especially with the wall color change. Contrast. Hope this helps you visualize outcomes. You didn't ask "permission" before changing wall color. Shame Shame!! lol. Just kidding, I know you are probably in pain already.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

OK, just saw your post. Yes, give me a minute or two to try that for you.

• tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    I sort of did as permission Flo! Where were you? On vacation
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden
    I think I must have been "out to lunch!" Lol. Sorry back to mock up.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

tresmamma · Mere information
    Here is shot with horizontal mirrors. With your chandy (again I had to paste this one over yours so it isn't exactly the same) plus the scale of mirrors is hard to get exact, but you can see that the top mirror kind of gets hidden a bit until you are closer? Hard to tell but you can see in the room itself. If you could take a full front photo of the art on our side wall there for me, I could paste it into a mock up to show you the difference, if you want.

tresmamma thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden
    You may notice, but with your wall color change, it drives other needs as well. So now your lamps and shades don't work because they are too light. Also, if you do lamps, you probably need taller bigger ones. But, first, decide on mirrors or art on your buffet wall. Hope you are having a wonderful day.
  • tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thank you Flo! I have been wanting to change the shades on the lamps. I haven't found anything I like yet. I haven't had a chance to figure out what to do with the mirrors but I want to make them work. I paid nice money for them and I absolutely love them.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

Have you tried swapping the art to the buffet wall and moving mirrors back to where there were on the side wall? Could you use them (and I love the mirrors they are gorgeous!) in your entry. Sometimes, you can hang one on one side of entry and the other across from it and you get the "infinity" look. Kind of cool. Not sure if you have that in your entry? Entries are almost always dark so that might be a way to use them in a positive way? Just throwing ideas out. On the shades for lamps, since I think you could use taller lamps, and lamp shades are expensive, it is almost cheaper to get new lamps. Not sure what you are thinking but first figure out what is going on the buffet wall. Then other decisions can be made! Take a break from it too, because sometimes when we stare too long, we get further stuck!

• C F
    7 år siden

I'm voting ditch the lamps or go for something taller. Also, I don't know if this makes you feel any better about your white tresmamma, but here is a pic of my white dining room. A lot of people will think it's incredibly boring, but it makes me happy. I really like simplicity in a dining room personally because I like to set tables and decorate for particular occasions/holidays and I don't like to have to work around the room decor.

• PRO
    Sarita Simpson Design
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

White walls are here to stay, and it's natural light that is the key! Just because white walls lack color, that doesn't mean the vibe of the room changes. Check out my projects!

Fresh Downtown Loft · Mere information

Old Town Modern Rowhouse · Mere information

Check out my website!

• tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    I will take a break for sure. I have thought of other places to hang the mirrors and unfortunately don't think they would go anywhere else. I will keep looking though.
    Happy New Year!
  • tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Gorgeous CF! I am still not loving my room but I think it is bc that wall is empty and it makes it look blah. I do think that the white walls let my furniture shines instead and that I love.
  • tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Sarita, those are gorgeous rooms!!! Thank you for sharing. I will definitely check out your page.
  • User
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

I'm currently in love with white walls. I "rock" Pure White (Sherwin Williams) in different sheens- trim, ceiling, walls- and it totally works. There are, however, other things in the home that make this work. My kitchen cabinetry (flat solid maple) are stained, I have a stained cypress "drop" ceiling- entry to back of the house- that warms it up.

Art work can be real keys to pulling it off. That's been the hardest thing for me, but it's been really fun.

Loving your dining room. I'd ditch the mirrors in favor of some color. But that's just "me"

BTW: Lampshades are some of the easiest ways to get some anchoring color in- and fairly inexpensive.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

I have been meaning to share this website with you tresmamma for lamp shades if you want to explore that route. lampsusa.com I think dark gray or black would be great. You do have to get the sizing right and the shape too. The height of the shade is dependant on how the "harp" sits on the lamp. But you can measure the shades on it now, and that will help. But I think I might try for a stovetop shape and make it higher, which would give the whole lamp a little more "presence". Just some thoughts! I have been thinking about you! Take care and Happy New Year! Don't worry it will all work out.

• tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    What shape is that Flo? The ones I currently have are about 16 inches on the bottom and 10 inches long. I will look at that website now. Thanks!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

Stove pipe is straight up and down. Very modern looking and mimics the straight lines of the chandelier.

• tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    I took a hiatus but now I want to finish the room. I just ordered two black lamp shades. They are a little smaller than the ones I currently have but hope they will still look ok. I took the two paintings and leaned them against the wall over the buffet and it looks fine I think BUT I called RH and they will take back my mirrors and give me a store credit. I will use it to buy the exact same mirror (since I love it!) but in a different size. The buffet is 76 inches long. The wall space between buffet and ceiling molding is 62 inches. What do you think of a 36 inch by 48 inch? Probably best if narrow side is between the lamps. Would love your input. Thanks!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

I like the art there. I think that is perfect touch. Are you still wanting the mirror in this room? Or are you thinking of getting perhaps a "stand/leaning" mirror for somewhere else? They had a mirror that was a cluster of large framed hexagons (they had this at ZGallery also) and that might work on that short wall? I'll see if I can find the photo. Glad you can get a store credit. That is a good thing.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

Howard Elliott Crawford Modern Mirror, Small · Mere information
    What do you think of this look. More contemporary and interesting without being "mirror" facing dinner guests. I think this would work really well.

• tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    I looooove that piece!!!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

If you want one above the buffet, here is one from RH that would be quite lovely.

The first photo is more of an "inspiration" from RH. The reason this would work is because it is antiqued mirror look so it would be slightly less "see yourself in the mirror" thing. If you get what I mean! lol I like it hung vertically too, with lamps either side and something great in the center as in the inspiration photo. Comes in 36" wide by 48H which would work well I think. So two choices to ponder!

• tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    That is a great piece Flo and I think around what my credit will be :). I was thinking a 36 x 48 inch piece so glad you agree. So you would put the two painings back where they were and hang this mirror in between lamps on buffet?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

My preference is to not have guests sitting looking at themselves in a mirror. So I would put the mirror on the side wall and the paintings over the buffet with two lamps. But, with the antique mirror, the images are more diffused so it could work upright in center of buffet with two tall lamps either side. Also something large in the enter. A large interesting soup tureen, or sculpture piece to give "weight" to the mirror. Either way would work. But the paneled mirror would hang upright 48 h and 36 w. Does that make sense?

• tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    How about leaving the two painting (but hung) over buffet and buy the more modern mirror and hang it where they were before? The modern piece is 43x43 inches and wall space there is 95 wide and 62 high (between moldings). I found it for $300 something on Wayfair ;).
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

I think that would be good. $300 something is a very good price for that piece. You mean the Crawford Modern?

• tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Yes Crawford modern. I would love to bring a more modern piece in to the mix.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

Yes, that works fine. How wide was your table again. Also, that mirror has an irregular edge so it won't appear quite as large. It will fit with about 2 feet on each side and around 8-10" above and below between moldings. Roughly. I have seen that mirror and it is quite impressive. I think you will like it and it will bring that more "modern" look to your space. That coupled with the Chandelier and art, plus getting some great piece on the table and you are done!

• tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    This is not the same mirror right? I just noticed that this one isn't Crawford but Elegant Lighting. Must be why it's so much cheaper.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

It sure looks the same and the size is the same, so not sure. What Wayfair does is pick up stock that isn't moving and gets deals so they can bring the consumer deals. So that might be the thing here. ZGallery had this on sale too. Did you read the "reviews" because I notice there is only 3 stars?

• tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    I read them. One was 1 star due to mirror arrived broken but the other review was 5 star.
  • tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    The mirror from Wayfair weighs 82lbs but on Crawford website, mirror weighs 71lbs. Hmmm
  • tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thank you Susan!

• tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Flo, I have done some research. The mirror on Wayfair is not the same mirror as the Crawford mirror. They look very very similar and I can't see how they are different except that the one on Wayfair is almost half price. I suppose I can order it and if I don't like it, return it. Can you tell if there is a difference between the two mirrors?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

Usually, if the "measurements on size" are the same, they are the same mirror. The weight different though makes me think the metal is less quality and perhaps the mirrored parts are as good a quality. Only way to be sure is order one and see how you like it I guess. I know that ZGallery has one very similar so if you have a Z showroom around you that might be a way to check it out?

• tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

I will look to see if we do. Weirdly, the cheaper mirror is heavier (82lbs) and the more expensive is lighter (71lbs). Wayfair said return shipping would only cost $20 so maybe it is worth ordering it to check it out.

• tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    My husband thinks the mirror is too busy and will take away from the chandelier. He tends to be more traditional than me. What do you think?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

Because it is on the "side" wall, no. It is actually more interesting. It is surely a more contemporary look. That chandelier stands on its own no matter what! Don't worry about that. That mirror will bounce the reflections of the chandelier around really well. I would try it at least. Kinda can't beat that price.

• tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thank you Flo! Before I order (I want to be sure because returning it seems like a pain) that is it ok that the mirror is square. I will take a pic and post below but I have another square piece in the room. Is it too much to have two square pieces?

• tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Here it is. It is very close to the wall where mirror would go.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden
    No problem, because the shape is irregular edge so not a problem IMO.
  • PRO
    Art of the Garden
    7 år siden

White walls are nice. Add a floor plant or a wall plant and it will make for a nice balance!

• tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

I called RH to set up the return of the mirrors. I was now told that what the customer service person told me two days earlier, wasn't correct. I can not return the mirrors. So now, I am back at trying to work with these mirrors. I am going to have my hubby hang them horizontally over the buffet. If I love it great and if I don't, I will figure something out. I really can't justify not trying it at least since I already have them.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

I understand that. Boy, RH needs help in the customer service area. Never been pleased myself. The problem with the horizontal approach is the middle is going to cut the chandelier in half I'm afraid. We have gone through this before, right? My preference is still art over the buffet and the mirrors on the short wall. That way they will reflect the chandelier but not be reflecting guests too much. I also think hanging them vertically with just small space between them would be good.

• tresmamma
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Here are the mirrors...with the new lamp shades. What do you think? I also moved one of the chairs to another corner to make room for the plant which I really like in that spot.
  • apaquin25
    7 år siden

I don't think the mirrors look right there. The one on the top is far too high up the wall. I also don't like extra chairs in corners. They look out of place. Either put them at the table where they belong or store them somewhere and pull them out only when needed.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.