amydorie

Help with chandeliers please!

Amy
7 år siden
Hello Houzzers!
We could really use some help picking out two chandeliers for our open concept entry/living/bar/music/dining room! I'm sure we need lots of other design help as well, but this is our most pressing issue and your help would be greatly appreciated! We are slowly updating and are looking for new fixtures for the entry and dining room. Any suggestions? Thank you so so much!!! The photos are of the entry/stairs, the dining room, and the bar across from the entry way chandelier .

(122) kommentarer

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

Stone & Shingle · Mere information
    This has a carpet runner too, but has travertine tile. I hope this helps you with your decision.

• Andrei
    7 år siden

Would it be painted over the white, or sanded down to the oak and then stained and lacquered?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

That is good question. To do it right, sanded and stained and finish coated would be best. But you could just paint it also. Just depends on level of effort and cost. And desired final outcomes.

Amy thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 år siden

Pick your focal point, in this case i would say lets see past the entry light and zero in on a fab dining fixture, draw the eye back, i would hang the stairwell fixture higher let the eye go back.

Amy thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • Andrei
    7 år siden

Nice idea!!!

• Andrei
    7 år siden
    Savoy House Penrose 12 Light Foyer Lantern, Polished Nickel · Mere information
  • Andrei
    7 år siden
  • Andrei
    7 år siden
    What do you think of this one?
  • Andrei
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Downbytheriver: Can you tell us what the Foyer chandelier is in your mockup? The dining room chandelier you chose might be too romantic/traditional for us and I think we need to brighten that room up, it feels dark

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

On the sketch/chandelier, the shape is nice for your space but the style and finish don't say "updated" to me. I think you need gold/champagne finish and more "concert hall" look to "invite" guests into your space for lovely evening of music, food and fun!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 år siden

savoy house, I dont have the # on hand, but they have great options for you it needs to be the right size, im guesssing the one thre is about 24in long? so i would say 20'' would be great, or a bit shorter.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 år siden

you are choosing VERY traditional entry piece. So I just thought that is what you like. Along with the railing and foreground chair and table a gold finish would be good. and please "update" by not haning it at eye level lol.

Here is a more modern yet traditional look that could work. (ENTRY)

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/carriage-house-chandeliers/lighting/chandeliers-pendants/167657?isCrossSell=true&strategy=266&gtmPageName=May%20We%20Suggest-PDP

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

The challenge in the entry is "what do you want the entry to be?" Formal and modern, or traditional and more casual? With your dining room desires and your musical pieces I believe this entry deserves a more "formal" treatment in perhaps a transitional vein. Keeping the size proper will be very important as we have discussed. Hanging it at the proper level once selected is second challenge but that is easy. So, need to decide direction so we can be of more help. Try looking at the shadesoflight.com website. They have a variety of pieces and perhaps it will help you focus on what you like and maybe what you don't like so you get more specifically sure of what you want. Finish is also a question, because if the stairs stay white, then that would drive a darker color so it shows up. If you decide to redo the railing in a dark brown, then the champagne golds or even aged golds would be really lovely. Then of course, there is budget. I would prefer you wait and get the exact right piece, than decide just to decide and then find you are living with something less than optimum. Lighting really defines spaces especially in entries.

• Andrei
    7 år siden
    Downbytheriver: when you say we chose a "VERY traditional entry piece", what are you referring to, the harp?
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

No, I am referring to the entry fixture you posted, also the decor in the home is traditional. The flow of the house is traditional too. Not to say it could not become transitional... The brass chair has a modern edge, apart from that most of the decor has a traditional feeling.

• Andrei
    7 år siden
    Flo, about the brown bannister, in those examples the houses have other browns to match the bannister: either brown wood flooring,a brown door, brown accents in the tiles and brown stairs or other rooms off the foyer travertine that use brown flooring. My hesitation comes from my fear the dark bannister would stick out like a sore thumb with nothing to balance it or relieve it. The entire house is travertine and the entire house honey/cherry cabinets all the same throughout. As you said, the lines of the house are traditional, built in the mid 80s so we want to match the house structure at the same time many of our updates have been modern or transitional, we like a clean look: the granite/tile/cabinets and the kitchen fixtures. We tend to like 'classy'/'upscale' without being over the top gaudy or too romantic and since our instruments are very old (Art Deco era) we tend to be influenced by that but don't want to look 'antique-y'
    Thanks
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 år siden

post some pictures of the rest of the house, the dining room itself... let us have a taste of your taste. matching the house to the 80's ?

• Andrei
    7 år siden
    Thanks, I will post some pictures of the rest of the house there are pictures of the dining room itself above in the thread. The house is very 80s in examples of the wet bar at the entry, the vaulted ceilings, clerestory windows, the geometric lines and odd nooks or outcropping of the wall area. It makes it hard for us to decorate and make it fit, we don't want the house to read 80s but we want our style to seem like it fits with the housing structure in its proportions. None of the windows are trimmed, we have baseboard but no top molding.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

You instruments are beautiful and wood toned, so that can be part of the "connection" to the wood railing. But this is totally up to you. The white to me just looks cheap and DYI so I would change it. You don't want to bring back the oak, I understand that, but more class on the stairs would be helpful. Expresso color would enhance the wood of the Harp and bring the contrast needed in the space. You have to consider all the elements in your space for sure, so more photos would be helpful. I have found another fixture but it might be too contemporary for what you want. But I'll post it anyway.

JK061: Mantoan Hand-Blown Clear Glass Chandelier, 18" W X 28” D X 60" H · Mere information
    With the black railing this would be stunning. It has the right shape and look for musical venue!

• Andrei
    7 år siden
    Thanks Flo! It's a beautiful piece, unfortunately the weight 80lbs might be too much for our ceiling and it's out of stock anyway.
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 år siden

if you want to hang a heavy fixture you get what is called a fan brace box, it will support a lot of weight. just an fyi, because if you go large in the dining it will need one too...

• Andrei
    7 år siden
    This is great, thanks for sending that link. I love it! I'm still not sure about the black, but nice to see that it comes in different finishes. The one we have now is basically transparent besides the brass candelabra inside the glass pendent. We thought for a while of just painting the brass silver, but wanted something nicer. I was initially worried that the black would add too much contrast or draw the eye too much. Would a chrome or brushed nickel look good? I like that it ties in with the instruments, but at the same time the foyer/living room isn't necessarily a "concert hall", I'm a professional musician and I teach in the living room, but don't perform recitals there, I want it to be elegant but also with a feeling of home. I think this one could work, but I don't think Amy would go for the black. Maybe we're totally wrong and the solid black rail and light fixture with gold accents would look amazing. We also know that look is trending right now and don't want to fall too much into what's in style at the moment, would rather have a timeless setup (if possible)
  • Andrei
    7 år siden
    Maybe I would feel more comfortable if our piano were an ebony finish, but it's a flame mahogany. I thought it was a beautiful wood when I purchased the instrument, but it really threw off the house. I think an ebony would have been a better choice.
  • Andrei
    7 år siden
    Fixture above kitchen island and fixture above breakfast nook
  • Andrei
    7 år siden
    Current fixture in entry foyer
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 år siden

That fixture is timeless!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 år siden

but now that i see what you have...........

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

downbytheriver, I posted the "ball" ones a while back and I do think that is a really good option for them too.

• lulu
    7 år siden
    My 2 cents, I agree with Flo about black post and railing on the stairway. Not necessarily the risers or steps.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

Modern Staircase · Mere information
    Here is a black railing with the glass ball type chandelier and it looks like stair treads similar to yours.

Amy thanked Flo Mangan
  • Andrei
    7 år siden

One more thing to consider, the fixture doesn't attach to an attic, it attaches directly to a vaulted roof, the electrician says a heavy fixture might damage the roof structure, also those platings at the top of the fixture look like they are made for a horizontal ceiling, not to be hung at a 45 angle

• Andrei
    7 år siden

Example of foyer chandelier attachment

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 år siden

those fixtures are light, also LED so you don't have to try and change bulbs. the glass is small and light, I have dealt with the ones I posted personally. You can get the ET2 ones in a couple size.

all you do is adjust the height of each one to hang straight.

• PRO
    Lumar Interiors
    7 år siden

Attached here are a few designs of ours with chandeliers we have used. It might be useful to look at them and see if you like any.

Chaplin Crescent Estates · Mere information

Royal York Renovation and Decoration · Mere information

Belfontain Project · Mere information

Amy thanked Lumar Interiors
  • Andrei
    7 år siden

Lumar Interiors: I love the first one!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 år siden

You really need to remove that sink and faucet in the bar area..it looks like it belongs in a bathroom....you need to add a chrome bar sink with small bar sink goose neck faucet....you have a lovely home but I strongly suggest you change out the wet bar sink.......if you are trying to go more transitional/modern I would switch out both foyer and dining fixtures and get two that complement each other...

Entry light idea

Dining room light idea

Bar sink suggestion

Amy thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 år siden

is it more then a 45 degree pitch?

• Andrei
    7 år siden
    No
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

There are specific devices to hang fixtures and if a fixture doesn't weight 300 lbs, the structure should not be a problem. The electrician should be aware of the long arm brackets that can be slipped into the opening to spread the weight and it should be a no brainer for someone who knows what they are doing.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

The Murano glass one weighs 80 lbs, so that is not minimal, but not huge either. Most entry type fixtures will weigh 30+ lbs.

• Andrei
    7 år siden
    I know everyone is saying the wet bar doesn't work and needs to change, but honestly we love the look of the sink, granite and cabinets that are there so how can we make that work keeping those in place? This area is NOT in the kitchen area otherwise it would be different, it is in the entry foyer off the front living room just as you walk in so we don't want it to look "bar-bar" like here is all of our hard alcohol on display lol. We want it to look comforting, and inviting, welcoming, and relaxing, but not like a "powder room" as you say. We don't like the idea of heavy black and copper, we like the relaxing sea glass and teal vibe. We're not sure why the "vessel sink" can't work. Perhaps we just need seaglass shelving and decorative wine glass storage and flowers instead of the large mirror, although the mirror makes the alcove look bigger and brighter. Here's a picture of a wet bar that also uses a vessel sink and doesn't look too alcohol/bar: https://www.houzz.com/photos/2016-st-jude-dream-home-farmhouse-home-bar-new-orleans-phvw-vp~59430690
  • Andrei
    7 år siden
    Current entryway wet bar
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år siden

If you put some shelves and glasses there it would help. But as you know, I think this looks off in this spot, but I get that you love it. Maybe it is because almost every builder showroom has had this look in their women's bathrooms that is clouding my view. Just too bathroom for me. The sink in your photo btw is a shell sink that is much lower in profile, and the cabinetry around this is very different than what you have, plus the wine bottle hex's and wine glass storage devices. All these details speak to "bar". But we have traveled this road already so ... your call.

• Andrei
    7 år siden
    Wet bar
  • Andrei
    7 år siden
    Thanks Flo, I appreciate your comments
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 år siden

its off because it looks like, "why is there a sink in the hallway?" and it looks like a bathroom sink not a wet bar. So what about adding the shelves to the mirror back and putting something that looks like a service area, not a strange place for a sink... not trying to be harsh. it honestly looks like a bath vanity in the hall.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 år siden

you could make it a coffee station rather than a bar.

• jani
    6 år siden

I know this is a long ago post ,but looking at dining rooms for myself. I love the idea of black or dark brown railing...it would be gorgeous with the entry chandelier!

The bar ..I was thinking of different tile all the way up..maybe a marble with some black in it. the small glass tile scale seems off. Would love to see what you decided.

Amy thanked jani
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.