bwcagirl

What to do with the 1978 brick fireplace

bwcagirl
11 år siden
Sunny cozy room, but this fireplace covers an entire wall. Its chunky and odd, but the color is not the worst i have seen of 70s brick fp looks. This is the lower level family room with medium wood colored hand scraped maple floors and matching maple trim and doors. We do not want to change those features as they are only 2 years old and so much better than the hollowed out 70's brown trim previously in the room and our entire upper level and entry is white trim, doors, cabinets etc...and we want a different feel in the lower level. We do use the fireplace. So without pulling the brick out what would you do to brighten and happy up this fireplace?

(30) kommentarer

• PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 år siden
    One idea would be to sheetrock over your brick above your mantel. That would take the chunk out of it and brighten it up a bit.
  • Brenda
    11 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}11 år siden
    I don't hate your fireplace -- and you seem to like "modern" based on some of the elements in the room (which is usually the biggest hurdle for people on 70's era houses). Actually, I like everything in this room, except for the items which you have selected for the mantle. It's too symetrical and the scale of just about every items seems off. I think I would do maybe 3 leaning pieces of framed art overlapping each other towards the right side of the mantle, and maybe one large-ish sculptural item to the left, and thats it. I would also love to see that hanging pendant replaced with a mid-century icon piece like a Nelson bubble lamp (and maybe centered over the cocktail table, if practical). And the sofa is begging for a purple pillow the shade that is in the curtains ....

Embrace the brick -- you will learn to love it.
  • Claudianne Young
    11 år siden
    Paint out the Fp door and mantle to a cream.
  • pmanastasia
    11 år siden
    It is really a lovely fireplace! I would paint the mantle white (Ben Moore Atrium White is a good one), or replace it with a beef-ier (if that is a word) mantle, and replace the small, brown crown molding with a larger crown, also white. Paint all of the brown trim white.
  • pmanastasia
    11 år siden
    Scratch what I just said...I like Loft 3 Design's idea...
  • handymam
    11 år siden
    Perhaps you could sheetrock over and under the mantle on the parts to the left and right of the columns. Then put in shelves from top to bottom. You could aslo sheetrock over the part above the mantle in the middle as well or just leave it. I would leave the mantle as is because it picks up the color in the brick and matches the wood by the window. It looks intentional.

I love your furniture and think that the yellow sofa and chair bring out a bit of yellow in the brick, so it goes very nicely! The only thing I would change is that I don't like the shape of the mirror on the mantle being the same as the fireplace opening. I think the vases could work if the flowers were not so tall.
  • PRO
    User
    11 år siden
    I would calm down the busy-ness of the fireplace wall with a gray translucent paint so that the texture and darkest color shows through but calms it down a bit. Then I would paint the mantel a dark charcoal. These two colors will tie in with the yellow that you have in the room already and ground it a bit. A larger rug with a graphic pattern would also help add some punch to the floor and ground the seating area. I agree that the mantel decor is too symmetrical, I would add a vase or decorative item, possibly smaller in scale and in a group of 3 in another color like the blue, pink or green already in the room accents.
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 år siden
    I agree with handyman....good advice!
  • bwcagirl
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    You all have given me something to think about for sure. My first inclination was to paint the brick, even though i loved it when we bought the house 3 years ago. I thought it would be fun to decorate around the cool and funky 70s brick. My hubby wants to leave it and paint the brown mantel and brown wood under the window but at least they match( i like the dark warm grey paint idea). The color on the walls is a "greige" currently (Pale Oak). We both don't like the wierd brown molding above the brick and walls so that will go for sure. The fun rug had to get put away for a little while...well it has to do with my dog being very old and having some issues. So bought this rug as a temporary solution just in case. Now that most of you have commented about the mantel decor/scale of items, I'm beginning to think that is what is bothering me and not the brick so much. I have begun working from home and am in the this room 40 hours a week for work now and it never bothered me until i had to be in here this much. Plus I'm mantel decorating challenged. Never had fireplaces until we moved in here 3 years ago and I just don't know what to put on them. Brenda, you know what i like. Loving the sculpture, bubble lamp and purple pillow ideas. Think I will change the mantel decor and see if it makes the room more eyepleasing for me. I hope so as it will be much less work for me(and the hubby) to do. Plus sleeping on it will give me a fresh perspective tomorrow. Decisions.... You are all so amazing for responding. You have relieved my 'angst" and I"m so jealous of your design abilities. Peace.
  • Brenda
    11 år siden
    what about tiling the fireplace? Maybe contemporary grey slate...see pics
  • kathleen MK
    11 år siden
    I think just painting the dark brown trim lighter (something that goes with the brick and the walls) would do alot to brighten it. Maybe then you wouldn't want to go to the trouble of painting the brick. also paint the mirror frame the same color or get a larger mirror with a thinner frame. I think I would move the art work from the hearth to the mantle. Turn the mirror vertical and group the art over lapping the mirror frame moving vases and candles to the corners.
  • Brenda
    11 år siden
    here's the after..
  • handymam
    11 år siden
    bmkowen, I love what you did! I have the same fireplace and have often wondered what that would look like. Did you do this work yourself? If so, how did your prepare the brick to apply the slate?
  • bwcagirl
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    agreed bmkowen that looks great!
  • Brenda
    11 år siden
    yes I did it myself! I used wall tile adhesive and attached them directly to the brick- the mortar joints in my brick were kinda deep, so I used more adhesive than I expected. But for less than $200 (slate, sealer - do before you grout - & grout mix) It was a good investment. Be sure to use regular mortar type mix on the tiles that go into the opening- regular wall adhesive is not flame retardant 8D. I got addicted and did this fireplace on another investment house- this one in travertine...
  • bwcagirl
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    am going to work on regrouping the art as many folks suggest. Add some bright and happy things at the top of mantel in a more balanced manner. My hubby likes that so many of you suggest painting the brown mantel and chunky trim. It will make a difference for sure. Thank you.
  • Rare Bird
    11 år siden
    I like handymams ideas I dont know but could u re arrange the couch to another area the room seems to be off balance take out pieces and minimalise especially around the fireplace nice rug in browns with orange and yellow green tones might marry all the colours together..............
  • PRO
    Cozy Casita
    11 år siden
    Lovely room ! .. No way I'd change the fireplace, I really like the variety of colours in the bricks and the fact that it spans the entire wall .. Great job with the decorating !
  • PRO
    Smilow + Mathiesen
    11 år siden
    As a prejudiced artist who always loves placing art in a room, I think you should find a beautiful, fun long horizontal piece to put on the mantel--something that matches the fun of your yellow sofas and adds lightness to the room. I think if you find the right piece, you will not need to paint the brick wall ( I like it) but I would paint the dark brown shelf (it is adding heaviness to the room)...Here is an example of the type of piece I might put there...not in these colors but you will get the idea. Art has an uncanny ability of pulling a room design together if you find the right piece and it definitely has the loudest voice in the room...
  • patricia1971
    11 år siden
    I think it looks really good as is- you've made the best of a tough situation. Your sofa and chairs are cheery and give a good modern " pop". My only thought would be to change out the mirror- it's almost the same size/shape as the fireplace. Perhaps something round to break up the strong linear lines in the room..
  • ayutadco
    11 år siden
    Smc
  • bwcagirl
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    We painted the all the rough hewn dark brown wood on mantel and pony wall BMs Northern Cliffs. All the brown stained crown moulding was painted BMs Pale Oak to tie in the wall. The Northern Cliffs ties in perfectly with the grout color on the fireplace. The room has a "softer" feel to it now. Post after pics soon. I actually love it now. Working on a cool bubble lamp in the corner yet to replace the 'greige' colored shade. We also have a much larger Light Grey patterned and plush rug in the room.
  • lynette7556
    10 år siden
    Hubby and I just moved from a 1978 house that had a brick fireplace, and ours was very ugly....yours is
    prettier than ours was! Our fireplace stretched all the way up to a cathedral ceiling. When we remodeled
    the home, we painted the entire thing. It was quick, simple and cheap. We bought a primer recommended
    by Sherwin Williams, and it worked beautifully. We painted the entire thing a cream color, and that included
    the mantel....it was that dark, 1970's wood. We put a new gas fireplace insert in there (ours was a wood burner) and everyone marveled at it...could not believe it was the same fireplace. Our solution gave it a much
    more contemporary look, but we still had the texture of the brick and it was very pretty.
  • PRO
    Distinctive Mantel Designs, Inc
    10 år siden
    The best thing I learned in the last 25 years was to stop trying to save a little money and doing a partial job. The result is very little savings and very modest results. See photos before after. How could you patch that up? Clean up the wall drywall and dura rock around opening. Then put anything on that is your style.
  • PRO
    Distinctive Mantel Designs, Inc
    10 år siden
    Take out the columns and the raised hearth and drywall/dura rock Put tile on floor where hearth is missing. You will not be sorry when you decide to sell. Or be happy to live with something you have created....,,,,,great feeling
  • smdrovetto
    10 år siden
    I don't think we always need mantles. I think it breaks up a space where you could ad a stainless insert, perhaps, and some tile, which would really brighten and modernize, and also leave room to hang a great ,colorful print.
  • camillabryce
    9 år siden
    Hi, its been a while since you posted the original photo, but if you have an updated picture of your fireplace with painted trim, I'd love to see it! I'm currently researching ideas for our 70's redbrick fireplace, and its challenging to find before and afters!
    Thanks, Alanna
  • bwcagirl
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

Hi Kaffekarma. I'll try to get a pic for you but I did use Northern Cliffs as the trim color. All the brown is covered with it. We picked it because its a very concrete green grey that matched the fireplace grout perfectly.

• charris93
    8 år siden
    Very curious as to how this project ended up. I'm in a very similar situation, and in desperate need of inspiration. :) :)

P.S. You have a lovely home!!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.