pcassisa

Creative genius required:

pcassisa
11 år siden
I have a TV room that has no excitement at all; I am using old furniture that I am not sure even goes together. I would like to be able to use existing furniture if at all possible, potentially recovering it. Perhaps a coffee table / ottoman as well? Any help / advice will be hugely appreciated!

The room is approx 6m x 4.5 m

(24) kommentarer

• PRO
    Cozy Casita
    11 år siden
    Any chance you could take a couple of pics from a little further back to better show the size of the room and how it looks from every side, where the various doors are etc. ? What kind of a house is it ? I noticed from the only two pics of living rooms in your ideabooks, that you chose fairly opulent looking ones .. is that the look you're going for ?
    Are you lucky enough to have high ceilings ? Colour preferences ?
  • pcassisa
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    Hello Cozy Casita - I have taken a few more that I hope give a better feel. The pictures I have on my idea book give an idea of my style...but maybe not as "opulent" . I like traditional and classic, but comfy and liveable at the same time - no big ask! Ceilings and doors doors are extra high, though not double volume. The walls are light stone and the floor similar. I like neutrals and reds, but would like some fun feel as well....
  • orangecamera
    11 år siden
    Try pulling the rug so the edge is just under the front legs of the sofa. (Move the rug, not the sofa). Then change the chair configuration. Put the red chairs on each side of the sofa, and then the other chairs next to them. So the lineup would be: arm chair - red chair - sofa - red chair - arm chair.
  • driftdesign
    11 år siden
    Have you considered painting the walls? Currently the walls are not supporting the cast of colours in your space. Check out Benjamin Moore -cc490- smoky taupe or cc460-inukshuk. It is difficult to judge distance between fireplace and loveseat, however I would suggest pulling the loveseat in-closer to f/p , use the red upholstered chairs to flank the fireplace (facing inward) add a coffee table and end tables(each side of love seat). Between curtains add a sofa table/art and lamp.The two chairs (with diamond pattern) - Perhaps use them in background where the two press back chairs currently sit- could add weight to that vignette.(Maybe cover them in a coordinating stripe and restain in a darker colour) Ambient lighting and live greenery would also be helpful
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 år siden
    I love these ottomans because they offer storage and/or extra seating and are tables as well.
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 år siden
    Love these floor pillows
    New York City Loft · Mere information
  • PRO
    Cozy Casita
    11 år siden
    Still not quite getting it ... I can't see where the doors are (which is most important of course !) and still need the dimensions of the room. I like some of the shapes going on in those chairs and there is certainly potential to re-cover some of them if need be. I'll post again later (it's early hours in the morning here) and hope you won't be tempted to paint your room any shade of Grey in the meantime (someone will suggest it .. or its ugly brother Beige, I guarantee it !) :-)
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 år siden
    I agree with painting the walls- the furniture doesn't fit the space. I would like to see a beige.
    Shaker Beige HC-45 by Benjamin Moore · Mere information
    But I like how the furniture feels together- you want to sit down and relax. It feels comfortable. A red-orange slip cover would be great for the sofa. Get vintage things, add texture. Since you have so many windows, I would choose a treatment that darkens the room for movie watching.
    Levolor Roman Shades: Seclusions Room Darkening · Mere information
    Monogrammed Coral Chevron Print Throw Pillow by Tootledoo Designs · Mere information
    Vintage Swiss Army Blanket by Miss Greenthing · Mere information
  • driftdesign
    11 år siden
    I think this is a great piece! I would worry that it might be to heavy in the space
  • PRO
    Smilow + Mathiesen
    11 år siden
    Hi--As an artist, I always think art (and choosing the right piece) will cause excitement in your room and pull all the elements together. Here is an example of what I might put on the tall narrow wall... I love putting contemporary art in a more traditional setting--it will provide a spark and contribute to the atmosphere of a room more than a more traditional painting...
  • pcassisa
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    You obviously suffer from insomnia!

No fear of painting; my husband won't let me near a brush! I am in Cape Town, and have had a day off work....so trying to get the juices to flow (with little success) No to grey or beige.....I really like the light stone colour paint - but that's about all I like in the room. See the additional pics...I have tried to get a 360 view from where one enters the room - I hope this helps.
  • PRO
    Cozy Casita
    11 år siden
    Oh, yes ! Much better ! Able to see what's going on now ! .. but sleep needed first. ... Am thrilled to hear that no paint will be applied .... though you will still have it insisted upon, I'm sure !
  • orangecamera
    11 år siden
    @pcassisa, what do you think of the new furniture arrangement? I would just angle the red chairs a bit, so the whole thing is more "rounded". I hope that makes sense.

I think your next step is to replace the pillows. The large ones on the sofa seem too big to be useful, and the pattern isn't adding anything positive. The first step is to look at a lot of pictures to see what "look" you want. Once you narrow that down, we can help you find the right pillows...and art for your walls.

Are those black things on your walls surround sound speakers? I wonder if there's a way to either paint them or disguise them so they don't stand out so much.
  • pcassisa
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    The room is approx 4.5 x 5.5 meters or 14.7x 18 feet
  • pcassisa
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    Hello - angled as suggested and much softer. The cushions are way too huge yes...and I will probably have to lose my English flag and sausage dog cushion!
  • PRO
    David Manning Architecture
    11 år siden
    I'm wondering if painting the fireplace surround dark would make this room less busy, more seamless. TV's are so dark, it might help. A wonderful room!
  • Luciana
    11 år siden
    Almost everything in the room seems to be at the same height, you should consider giving it more 'layers'. A floor lamp would help with that; or a floor vase with tall twigs. Also your walls are so bare - how about some art, posters or photos? Or a funky clock or mirror? I think the way you re-arranged the furniture looks better than before; with some small touches it could look great!

My Houzz: Hillside Home in Northern California · Mere information

Contemporary Living Room · Mere information

Pottery Barn Influenced Family Room with Sectional · Mere information

Dreamy Whites · Mere information

MJ Lanphier · Mere information

• mpoulsom
    11 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}11 år siden
    I think those red chairs need to be moved to either side of the fireplace at an angle as suggested above!! As in the backs of the chairs are facing the wall. And use your checkerboard chairs at the table in the corner! Paint your table a fun color, that may be a burst of another color you need. And yes, you DO need artwork on the walls!!! Like the sofa table idea behind couch as well. Slipcover the couch?
    Are the shades on the window staying?
  • Tracy Smith
    11 år siden
    Just my two cents: there is so much going on in the room - different colours, patterns, shapes and styles - that is conflicting and that is probably what is decreasing your excitement in the room and overwhelming the next steps. I would prioritize your furniture and decide which (perhaps cost wise) is most important that you wouldn't want to replace versus others that you are not as attached to (rather than trying to make it all fit). Slowly try to remove some of the designs (pillows, carpets, wooden chairs) and see what does work together and then add back in solids or complimentary patterns. Re upholstering can be way more expensive than buying new (depends on item) ...don't discount buying some neutral and inexpensive chairs/tables/plain rug from IKEA or Target. Sometimes they do plain really well and adding just a solid, natural coloured carpet, removing the wooden chairs and adding some pillows or a throw that picks up on the red chairs and rich leather couch could be just the pieces you need to bring it all together! Good Luck .... you are on your way!
  • User
    11 år siden
    None of the pattens really match - the chairs are covered in black geometric patterns, the shades and pillows are traditional prints but still different from each other both in color and style, the couch is brown leather... For me, all of the patterned items don't work with the couch. The red chairs also don't match. You have many nice items, but they don't match together in that room.
  • User
    11 år siden
    I am wondering what everyone's thoughts would be on an arrangement like in the attached photo: put the couch perpendicular to the fireplace, the red chairs together across from the couch, and the black and white upholstered chairs semi-in front of the fireplace like the yellow stools in this photo.
    I like your furniture and rug. I would take away the floral pillows and the toile. I think they are too country looking to mix into your otherwise eclectic look.
    Contemporary Living Room · Mere information
  • pcassisa
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    Thanks to all contributors - I like the arrangement above and will give it a try.
  • PRO
    Total Solutions Group
    11 år siden
    I think you can make the furniture work in this room, but I would definitely recover some of it. The couch looks like it may have seen better days, but if you can recover the front right panel in matching chocolate leather, and maybe get the seat cushions re-upholstered, it would be refreshed. I like the red chairs, they add a nice bit of color to your room. If you want to keep as much of the furniture as possible, here's my suggestion:
    1. Refresh the upholstery on the couch
    2. Re-upholster the diamond pattern armchairs with a chocolate fabric that would echo the couch and help develop a coherent color scheme.
    3. Ditch the current throw pillows, and have the pillows liven up your room. Get some funky patterns to give the space a little pizazz - like your british/sausage dog pillow does now.
    4. Trade the curtains and shades you have now for some red ones that go with your existing chairs.
    5. Get a biege/brown rug that's patterned and use that to add excitement too. Maybe try a more modern pattern that would vibe with those funky throw pillows.
    6. Get an interesting coffee table
    7. Add some art to your blank wall.

I think the furniture you have would fit best with a modern eclectic style. Maybe you could use the room photo below as inspiration for the scheme I've been talking about. Good luck decorating!

Keesee & Associates are a Custom Home Design firm.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.