dlander63

Final layout version of kitchen remodel???

dlander63
7 år siden

After looking at a million pictures, getting some input, and considering all (I think) the possible layout options, we have what we think is our final layout version for our kitchen remodel. Below is our current layout and what we're thinking. With that said, I still have some concerns:

• The new version eliminates the current family room, incorporating it as our new dining area. We've actually moved the table and chairs into that area now to "mock it up" and try it out for a few days...it's been hard on our white carpet to have toddlers eating in there! So the space works much better and isn't so tight, but we miss having the table in front of the big sliding glass door...lots of light, nice view, and now the table and chairs block/makes less usable the nice new fireplace and built in cabinets I installed last year.
  • I don't love the range or drop in stove top (whatever we decide) in the island but I don't see another spot for it.
  • We don't really need a peninsula and an island, and I would prefer to just have an island with bar seating, but we would loose too much cabinet space without the peninsula. We moved the peninsula to the other side of the kitchen so the bar seating could be next to the sliding glass patio door.
  • The area between the peninsula bar seating and wall, in front of the sliding glass patio door, (6-7') seems wasted, even if we put some cabinets on that wall. Too wide to be empty and not wide enough to really do furniture or much with.
  • I really like the feel of an L kitchen with island, but with the kitchen in the middle of the back wall of our house, with a 6' sliding glass door on one side of the current kitchen, and an office room with 6' barn doors on the other side, I don't see another configuration that would work. We like an open feel, but also aren't a fan of having guests be able to see our dirty dishes from the living room. So that's how we got where we're at.

Any input on our new layout? We start in soon and want to get it right!

Current layout

New layout

(26) kommentarer

• interiordesignme
    7 år siden

hi! how about you leave the dining table in front of the sliding glass door and Switch the bar seating to the left side and have some seating in front of the fireplace...?

• lmckuin
    7 år siden

I like the idea above. The old dining space looks like wasted space in your new design. If you were to flip it and keep the dining room there, you would have room for two cozy chairs/ reading nook in front of the fireplace for a little gathering room in a smaller family room. Good luck!

dlander63 thanked lmckuin
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 år siden

It would be helpful to have both drawings in the same scale as it is I think you have a lot of wasted space on both sides of the kitchen. Did you actually work with a KD the bench seats on each side of the FP in the DR make no sense I agreethat the DR where it was is the best use of that space and the eating bar on the other side I honestly can’t figure out how that island would fit in that space IMO the whole layout is odd and I think yhere could be a much better use of space

• thinkdesignlive
    7 år siden
    I also agree w the flip and adding the chairs by the fireplace. Knowing your garage entrance is right there do you have concerns about coat/backpack storage?
  • PRO
    R G MILLER (YBC)
    7 år siden

I like the new drawing

• dlander63
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thank you everyone. I like the idea of flipping the bar seating. Does this drawing seem like a better use of space? Not sure about where fridge fridge should go, but other than that I think I like this much better.

Edwards4four, with the garage being our entrance there, we do need at least at least a small coat/backpack area. Good point.

Patricia Coalwell Consulting, the bench seats are window seats for reading...made sense for a family room, not so much for a dining room. Here's our current layout in the same scale.

• interiordesignme
    7 år siden

that new layout Looks better! you can put the fridge on the right of the sink

dlander63 thanked interiordesignme
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 år siden

A much better use of the space for sure the fridge could go either right or left of the sink but a counter depth one will be a good idea

dlander63 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • dlander63
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

I'm assuming it would be a bad idea to put the fridge on the wall with the pantry right? My thinking is it would be too far away and a pain to have to go around the island...but it would fit well there and we could do a fridge and freezer pair, so thought I would double check.

• PRO
    Alana Loranger
    7 år siden

I would fill the window. the fridge won't open properly in the corner and it will block the view of the other room. they're too big to be placed in the middle of the layout. I would put it on the right end of the run. Quick access for anyone to grab a drink while you're in there - they won't be in your way.

Put the sink on the peninsula, or in the island and have the stove and fridge on the exterior wall. little hands will be all over the stove on the island. You'll have more control with only one access point - also hard to turn the handles "in" to prevent them from pulling the handle - probably a lesson you don't want them to learn the hard way. Ventilation will also be easier as well with the stove on the exterior wall.

If you're totally opposed to filling the window in because you need the light, explore putting transom windows above the cabinets, or in the splash area.

Good luck with your project!

dlander63 thanked Alana Loranger
  • auntthelma
    7 år siden

The fridge can be on the right of the sink. Flipped with the counter from the first design.

OR - you CAN put it in the pantry wall to keep the kitchen counter looking more open. That is what I would do. You can then have a small counter open next to the fridge for 'landing.'

What I would not do, is have the refrigerator between the sink and peninsula. People need to access the refrigerator when the cook is working and you should always have it outside the work zone if possible.

dlander63 thanked auntthelma
  • User
    7 år siden
    On your new layout I would have the range come out of the island instead of taking up so much of the space.
  • dlander63
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Good points, thanks! So anyone have a preference on one of these two layout for the fridge and range? Note, we may be doing a cooktop/oven and the size of the range may be off in this drawing so ignore that part.

• acm
    7 år siden

Did you just steal another foot from your living space?

• dlander63
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

The second option above would take another foot from the living room, making it 16'x13'

• PRO
    Alana Loranger
    7 år siden

if you want to go that long, i would remove the peninsula and put the eating bar on the island - take back the space for the living room. i wouldn't put the fridge where the pantry is. Although it opens the space up, it's not practical.

• dlander63
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Alana Loranger, I considered removing the peninsula because I don't really need the island and peninsula, but I lose so much cabinet space I left it. The peninsula also has upper cabinets and so it somewhat separates the family room from the kitchen which we like. I've been fighting hard to keep the sink at that window because I like a sink under window for the view, but I think you're right...it needs to move to the island or peninsula if I want the fridge and range on the back wall (my only wall for appliances really). Does something like this work better in your opinion?

• PRO
    Alana Loranger
    7 år siden

what's the overall length of the back wall, and how far is the window from the sliding doors? i'll sketch something up for you.

• dlander63
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Total length of back wall is 37', distance between the opening to the office and the sliding glass door (potential "kitchen area") is 19', and distance between edge of window and sliding glass door is 5'3". Thanks

• zmith
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

I came up with something different that would give you an island with seating. It involves closing the kitchen off from the dining room, tho. I'm not crazy about the sink location, as I kept it under your window. Nor do I like the garage door potentially smacking a person sitting in a stool. I couldn't read the dimension in that direction, so you may have more than 54" from island to the door wall. Anyway, just thought I'd toss this out as another option for you to potentially consider.

dlander63 thanked zmith
  • PRO
    Alana Loranger
    7 år siden

based on a full 19' layout (and a 36" wide window?) you actually have a lot of upper cabinet space without the hanging peninsula cabinets. I've been in kitchens for almost 10 years, and I have not once had a client request it.... I'm not convinced you would need them. here is a really rough sketch up. Ample room to inject some personality, but you get the idea..... micro could be installed either in an otr, or on the far left side uppers, or in one of the base cabinets in the island. it's a big space, and there is a lot of potential. hook yourself up with a kitchen designer, and they should help you with your styling

• PRO
    Alana Loranger
    7 år siden

... my photos aren't going through for some reason... can i email you?

• dlander63
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Sure, my email is danielilander@gmail.com. And yes, 36" window. Thank you!

• thinkdesignlive
    7 år siden
    Range in front of window could work and this brings the sink and fridge closer together
    Contemporary Kitchen · Mere information
  • thinkdesignlive
    7 år siden
    This reminded me of your layout. Built ins like this on either side of the fireplace would be nice
    Before Photo · Mere information
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.