leigh_hodge

Bathroom Reno - should we get pro help?

Leigh Hodge
7 år siden

My hubby and I are looking to start updating the bathroom and ensuite in our c.1928 Queenslander. Both rooms are somewhat narrow, and we want to change the outdated and flawed current layouts. We have never renovated a house before. My question is, should we engage a bathroom professional (to get the most out of the spaces), or arm ourselves with knowledge and go for it ourselves? (with trades help, of course)

Thanks!

(9) kommentarer

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7 år siden

If you've never been down the reno path before use a good local builder or bathroom builder.

Next time around you'll know the process and expectations of trades so should be good to go it alone.

There's not a big margin in bathroom's (or any residential building) and the builder takes on the responsibility and warranties of the project so the saving's aren't as massive as people would have you believe.....

Leigh Hodge thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • oklouise
    7 år siden

a good professional is a great option for building the bathrooms but it's also good to have an idea of what might suit you before you approach the professionals to do the work..posting some photos and a rough floor plan of the existing bathrooms will invite suggestions that will help make your choices much clearer

Leigh Hodge thanked oklouise
  • User
    7 år siden

If you've never renovated before, bathrooms aren't the place to start. You don't mess around with waterproofing, and getting tile-fall right. It might look ok when you are done, but then cause a world of pain and problems later when you have water penetration and rot, which then attracts white ants.

• bigreader
    7 år siden
    I agree with all the advice above. It is hard work. But my first makeover was a bathroom. And it worked out to be something I was proud of. Take your time. It will put pressure on your relationship and budget. Research and plan. Pick paint colour last. Start a mood board. Find friendly tradies and they prob won't be the cheapest. And if you are a stress head pay someone else.
    Leigh Hodge thanked bigreader
  • suancol
    7 år siden

if you do it yourself make sure you do one at a time since no toilet or shower/ bath can be real problem if there are delays

Leigh Hodge thanked suancol
  • PRO
    The Napier Renovation Co.
    7 år siden

Hi there. I've project managed literally dozens of bathroom renovations and still get caught out. My advice would be this: If you are not working and can manage the process on a daily basis yourself, then a good builder will guide you (up to a point) through the minefield.

If however, you want the process to start, flow and then finish within 2-3 weeks then get a pro in to help. A friend of mine tried to prove me wrong on a kitchen reno and it blew out costs by 20% and took him 3 and a half months to finish.

Money well spent would be to get paid advice on design, product selection and pass the PM process over....

Good luck, please feel free to pick my brains from over the ditch!

Dan

Leigh Hodge thanked The Napier Renovation Co.
  • strawberry47
    7 år siden
    If you take on the renovation yourself stage the work so your not left without a functioning bathroom
    Leigh Hodge thanked strawberry47
  • Leigh Hodge
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thank you all for the honest advice!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.