lauren555

Advice needed for wood panelling in entrance

lauren555
7 år siden
sidst ændret:7 år siden

We have a large, old Edwardian era house with wood panelling on the walls and up the side of the staircase in the entrance (see pics). We are planning a total renovation of the house and have really mixed views about whether to keep the panelling, recycle it, paint it etc.

Under the dark carpets in the entrance is a parquet floor and the entrance faces north east. The dark walls and floors make it feel dark and dingy (even though the door is mostly glass). We would like to keep the walls and restore the floors however there would be too much wood, it would look odd.

My questions are:

- Is it a bad idea to paint the wood panelling a light colour? How easy is it to reverse this if we change our minds in the future?

- If we removed the wood panelling, are we killing the character of the house?

- Is it very costly to move parquet flooring from one area of the house (entrance) to another (ie open plan kitchen/living room) and put some interesting tiles there instead?

Thanks!

(8) kommentarer

• Nic George
    7 år siden

What gorgeous panelling. We have far less panelling in our entrance (it goes mid-height) and we've painted it white. It looks so much nicer and lighte

My logic is that it's only paint and can be removed if a future owner wants to restore it back to brown/orange wood.

• kikiamack
    7 år siden
    If you go to the photo section of Houzz, select "Entryway" and then search for "wood panelling" and select "traditional" for the style, you should get an idea of what look you want to go for. Here's some white painted panelling:

Aviemore · Mere information
  • kikiamack
    7 år siden
    And to give my opinion, I personally would keep the parquet in the hall, I think it will look lovely. Also, there are lots of houses where the panelling is painted, times and tastes change and you have to do what is right for how you want to live. I always think it is quite strange that when you see programmes on TV about stately homes, it's clear that a lot of their previous owners embraced new styles and technology and added features that were contemporary to them, and yet somehow people today are expected to stick with past styles. I don't think painting panels is too drastic a change, so fo for it if that is what you like.
  • PRO
    Crabtree & Hargreeves Bespoke Interiors
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

That's a lot of wood and can understand your concerns but I doubt by the look of the design that its original to the house, therefore I wouldn't feel you are destroying a feature of the house if you chose to remove it. The only thing you could be doing is opening a can of worms in that you don't know what's underneath and also any costly repair bills. A safe bet is to over paint.

hope that helps

• Carolina
    7 år siden
    I don't think you'll regret painting the panelling. Gorgeous parquet floor!
  • PRO
    User
    7 år siden

Absolutely agree with most of the above, paint the panelling and restore the flooring. I personally love a dark floor with a pale paint. However, there are so many beautiful colours that go with a light oak, it's all down to personal preference

• PRO
    Conquest Fine Bespoke Furniture
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Hi Lauren. What a lovely property and so many options. I think you're right to try to preserve the character of the property but that still leaves you with many options - some of which are outlined above. Moving the parquet flooring would seem like a good idea if it suits your needs better and shouldn't be too costly - depending on the size of the areas/scale of the work. I've noticed that a number of people have mentioned the possibility of painting certain areas of the panelling and I thought you might like to take a look at some panelling work that we did on a Georgian revival property in recent times.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.