cindyjp

Blah dining room

Cindy Phillips
7 år siden
I'm really struggling with adding warmth and interest to my very boring dining room. The table is a Henredon that I spent quite a bit on (so I think it has to stay). Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I've hit a decorating "block"!

(18) kommentarer

• havingfun
    7 år siden

more colorful painting and curtains a mirror reflecting your painting across from it.

Cindy Phillips thanked havingfun
  • PRO
    Apollo Design Studio
    7 år siden

Adding coffered beams to the ceiling would add interest and relate the room to the strong columns at the entrance to the dining room. There is already a flare to your ceiling but it's too subtle to notice.

Cindy Phillips thanked Apollo Design Studio
  • havingfun
    7 år siden

tried going in your pics 173?! pls breakup into room or something. so i will just give some of mine.

Oil Painting Abstract Painting Canvas Art by GeorgeMillerArt · Mere information

Dogwood Rose Printed Cotton Curtains, Drapes · Mere information

• nmp19
    7 år siden
    Its hard to tell from photos. What is your wall color and window treatments.
    Cindy Phillips thanked nmp19
  • lovelylovelylovely
    7 år siden
    It looks like you have two large walls across from each other in the dining room. It would look so nice if you had two pieces of art, one on each wall, to complement what you already have in the space. Another thing you could do is pick up on the colors in the artwork with a table runner. I like to switch up table runners depending on the season. Best of luck!
    Cindy Phillips thanked lovelylovelylovely
  • Irene Morresey
    7 år siden
    I would put a big mirror on wall opposite your art, it will reflect your art and light shade. Change vase in corner with a lighter colour or red. Add some nice bright flowers on your table. Nice area, you have some lovely items
    Cindy Phillips thanked Irene Morresey
  • Irene Morresey
    7 år siden
    A nice big area rug
    Cindy Phillips thanked Irene Morresey
  • northpoint2
    7 år siden

I agree that a large area rug would work wonders. I see that you have a lot of seagrass/wicker in the chandelier and the chairs, so maybe you could complement that with a wool rug (red oriental?). It's hard to tell from the picture, but the buffet lamps look a bit small, and they should be on either end of the buffet if you're going to use them. Finally, a very large piece of artwork on the right-hand wall would look great. I'm not a fan of the flowers, but I'm pretty sure that's my own bias. ;) You have a great space to work with!

Cindy Phillips thanked northpoint2
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 år siden

You have done a great job so far. Don't discount a cohesive, well-balanced room of fine furnishings.

A couple of suggestions:

• The drapery panels at the entrance are not working for me. They just seem to emphasize the demarcation line of the room and don't work with the architecture of the home IMO.
    • To define the space, I would paint the walls the linen color of your drapery panels. I would install moulding on the ceiling, and select a raffia color for that area to complement your host chairs.

• I think the room needs some reference to nature so I have added a faux tree in a red Chinese Fishbowl in the corner for texture & small architectural topiaries on your stunning buffet. I would also add buffet lamps since there appears to not be any downlights in the ceiling. Picking up the red from your print on the table with red ceramic pieces help finish the room. The glare on the print is distracting. I would have suggested a linen matted and framed canvas to help with the texture in the room.

https://www.amazon.com/Nearly-Natural-5403-Dracaena-6-5-Feet/dp/B00FUNGOX4

https://www.wayfair.com/One-Allium-Way%C2%AE-Preserved-Boxwoods-Preserved-Greens-Willow-Stand-Desk-Top-Plant-OAWY6028.html

• The room needs something on the other wall. In keeping with the mood of the room, I'm recommending some type of handmade wood/handicraft with circular forms. If not that, then perhaps a metal structure in circular form. The room needs the texture and relief from rectangles.

http://www.asianartimports.com/wheelwallart.html

Here is another option for the wall.

This from Pier I. Not sure if they are still selling this.

Bronze Bowls

Woven baskets are also a possibility.

Cindy Phillips thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    7 år siden

It's very monochromatic, which is a difficult look to achieve if you want to maintain any warmth. Personally I think you need some color and/or pattern, perhaps in a rug or new curtains. I like Apollo Design's idea of wood beams in the ceiling as well.

Cindy Phillips thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • groveraxle
    7 år siden

Put a mirror over the sideboard and put the art on the opposite wall. Remove the curtains from the openings into the room and add those panels to the window after you lengthen the curtain rod. You could use larger buffet lamps with a warmer--maybe linen--shade. I'd lose the vase of sticks. If there's enough light here, try a large live plant.

Cindy Phillips thanked groveraxle
  • jbtanyderi
    7 år siden
    Use LINED drapes for both the window and the portières. The window ones should go the full width of the wall, and up to the bottom edge of the tray. While the light fixture kick up the texture of the backs of your Orkney island host/hostess chairs, it actually comes across as a mid-air lump. The room needs something lighter and brighter. It also needs more art.
    Cindy Phillips thanked jbtanyderi
  • Cindy Phillips
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thank you, talented Houzz subscribers! So many good tips and all opinions are greatly appreciated.

The wall color is Benjamin Moore Linen White, the curtains are Resto linen, unlined, in sand, and the painting has dark brown and red (it's from a trip to Africa and could easily go in the spare bedroom). Apollo Design Studio, I love the idea of beams. I haven't ever thought of that before, but that would definitely add character. And, yes, jbtanyderi, I agree 100% that the light fixture looks like a lump. I'm trying hard to find another one with some sparkle and pizzazz, but there are just sooo many choices out there.

The hardest home to decorate is sometimes your own!

• havingfun
    7 år siden

although I do not normally go for rugs, if you want one:

Marissa Indoor/Outdoor Rug in Orange | Joss & Main · Mere information
    i know it is kinda bright, but sorta gives that african vibe. if you can squint maybe we can see how it might work.

how many do you seat daily? thinking you can take 2 chairs and put them in those gaps where you have curtains. now you have raffia as you enter giving a hint.

i also believe that palm should be in a brass or chinese red pot. i am all in favor of decorating the table etc in gold and natural taffia, basketry, etc,

Curtain, Sheer Curtain, All Curtains & Hardware at Neiman Marcus Horchow · Mere information
    roll ups with these over?

a moroccan pendent?

• groveraxle
    7 år siden

Cindy Phillips thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    7 år siden

You could easily achieve a look like we did in your dining room. You might try adding some color. Notice here how we have added red to the dining room? You could even try a rug like in the last picture to bring it all together.

Asian Inspired Home · Mere information

Asian Inspired Home · Mere information

Cindy Phillips thanked Nandina Home & Design
  • PRO
    User
    7 år siden

The dining room is a really important room: what ultimately makes it exciting is that we spend a lot of time in it -- eating with people we care about, talking, and making memories. When we do that, we're using the dining room to its full degree.

Looking at those beautiful walls in your room, as well as abundant natural light from the windows, I would suggest adding artwork, and since you're feeling that the room is blah (possibly because it's highly neutral in its overall coloration), get brave and add some colorful wall art.

Generally, when people are told to add colorful wall art, they think, "Oh, I've got to get an abstract! That's colorful," without realizing that finely painted representational artwork incorporates not only color, but strong emotion and feeling, because the viewer can connect to it somehow -- be it a landscape, ocean view, figurative work, or floral piece.

Do you like the ocean? The find a coastal piece. How about hiking? Then look for mountains. Do you want something inspirational and hopeful? Then look for something that makes you feel that way. If you're spending the time in the dining room that the room demands, then you'll be looking at whatever art you get, a lot.

Original or print? That depends upon your budget, as well as the art piece you decide upon. The ultimate factor is that you love the work, and it brings you pleasure every time you see it. Do not allow anyone to pressure you into buying a piece simply because it matches the rest of your decor. Artwork can do so much more than match.

I'm appending various works from my collection to give you color ideas, and how such color is incorporated into representational works. Below are Spirit of the Canyon, Afternoon Tea, September, and Phonograph days, all available as originals on my Houzz Page -- http://bit.ly/2jVB27K - as well as prints through Great Big Canvas on Houzz -- http://bit.ly/2kaMR8P -- and on the Great Big Canvas site -- http://bit.ly/1xSXDCP.

Take your time. Look around. And wait for that moment when you fall in love with a piece. You won't regret it.

Cindy Phillips thanked User
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.