dis88

Need help for open kitchen diner colours please?

dis88
7 år siden

I have recently had an open kitchen diner with an island, and I can not decide if all white keeps it looking open and bright or whether to paint the walls.. I was thinking of having grey walls, any advice please to any other colour suggestions?

The kitchen has black slate looking worktops and white gloss kitchen units, I have a few red accents like the kettle and toaster.

I'm still waiting for a sideboard to be delivered to fill the gap behind the table and next to the fridge & I will be having metro tiles around the window and under the units next to the kettle and toaster not sure what colour yet, it depends if I choose to paint any walls.

This is the rest of the kitchen....Excuse the washing up :)

(11) kommentarer

• PRO
    Ardloch Interiors
    7 år siden
    Have you thought about putting wallpaper on one wall, just in the dining room? I'm seeing a beaded wallpaper or something with a bit of a sheen on the walls with the lights. It doesn't even need to be a set pattern, it could be a texture and maybe even in an off white which would just soften the starkness of the white and make the dining area more homely. This wallpaper is from Harlequin and has a pearlescent finish to it so depending on the way the light hits it the pattern shows up so is non obtrusive. If you're not up for wallpaper then a light grey may just add a bit more depth. I wouldn't do too dark a grey just because you have a good few other things in the room that are grey. Hope this helps :)
    dis88 thanked Ardloch Interiors
  • PRO
    Ardloch Interiors
    7 år siden
    I'm just thinking the red accessories and the dining chair are a mix of styles. The chairs being quite classic and contemporary but the accessories quite retro. I would be tempted to keep the kettle/toaster silver (if changing them is an option) and adding softer tones with mauve/blush or if you wanted something bolder, chartreuse...
  • dis88
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thank You for your advice in both comments... I was set on having the wall painted and hadn't even considered wallpaper but I do really like the one you've shown, so that could be an option. It is definitely too stark the white so I will have either the beaded paper or I was thinking of having a pale grey to try and complement the chairs.

I bought the kettle and toaster before starting the kitchen so I wasn't sure what table and chairs in the end I would be choosing so I could definitely change those, it might look more fitting if I change them to go with the table and chairs too.... Thank You so much for all your advice, very helpful :)

• Carolina
    7 år siden
    Wait until you have your sideboard in place. If you hang a large piece of art over that, it will fill up a lot of the wall. Also, will you be having any kind of window coverings? Blinds or curtains will soften the room and are a way to bring in colour too. If you then still feel the need for a colour on the walls, you can match it to the fabric or to the art.

If you use wallpaper it will limit your options for curtains and art. Just look at it as a whole, so you don't end up with retro toasters and classic glamorous chairs again ;-)
    dis88 thanked Carolina
  • dis88
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Yeah I haven't thought about when the sideboard is in place, with it being white gloss with a silver trim I thought it will still look all the same colour though and still needs something to break it up.

I didn't know with being a sliding door and then the patio door whether curtains or blinds would look right on them, I think like you have said I'll see how the area looks when it's a bit more filled with the sideboard and then I can always add curtains/ blinds if needed.

i'm glad I've uploaded the other side of the kitchen as I now see it definitely clashes with styles but hadn't thought about it, It's only a small change but I bet it will help to work with the dining room.

Thank You very much for all your advice :) A few more ideas for me to go on now, that I hadn't considered.

• dis88
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Ah Yeah they look lovely with the doors and with being voile still keeps it not too heavy, Thank You for your comment :)

• PRO
    Ardloch Interiors
    7 år siden
    I agree with Hillary's, a voile would be lovely. This against a non conspicuous wallpaper in an off white or paint in a neutral grey would be stunning but yea I'd hold off and see what the space is like with the extra furniture. If you did want to bring in colour do it in accessories such as flowers, art or ornaments meaning you're not tied into anything that was really expensive :)
  • dis88
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Yeah I didn't know what could go around doors but the voile really works well. I think once I've got my unit in I could then like you've said have accessories on top of it for a bit of colour and I can change them when I fancy something different too. Hopefully when my furniture is in I'll then be able to decide the paper or the paint :-D

Thank You for your help :)

• buzzmummy
    7 år siden

Ikea do nice inexpensive voile panels and sheer curtains. I also think some artwork either end of the dining room just below the wall lights could look great, even just a large black and white photo in a black frame? Great room though, love your dining set! x

dis88 thanked buzzmummy
  • dis88
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Ah I haven't thought of Ikea, I will have a look at what they have.. yeah it definitely needs something on the walls, I love the idea of black and white photo in a black frame.

Aw Thank You, it took me a long time choosing the dining set and I'm finally happy now it's in, I just want the room to look more finished too, which with a few tweaks from all the advice I'm sure it will.. Thank You for your help :)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.