laurietrott

Need help with kitchen cupboards

laurietrott
7 år siden

Our wall-mounted kitchen cupboards do not extend to the ceiling. Any ideas of what we can do with the space above to make it all seem more incorporated/finished, rather than looking like they are hanging on the wall?

(11) kommentarer

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7 år siden

Add new cupboards above with doors to match existing.

laurietrott thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • Julie Walton
    7 år siden
    Depending on how much you want to spend you could have extra cupboards or if you are on a tight budget, basket boxes (good for storage)look pretty effective too.
    laurietrott thanked Julie Walton
  • misslizzie21
    7 år siden
    Baskets are a great idea, (my kids think I have a basket fetish, I love them!). You could also try a row of pots of fake greenery - see Ikea fejka pots. Uneven numbers of course. I think adding extra cupboards or storage would be impractical, too high and out of reach.
    laurietrott thanked misslizzie21
  • User
    7 år siden

You could speak to a carpenter about building a bulkhead above it to enclose it completely.

laurietrott thanked User
  • oklouise
    7 år siden

the cabinets look like good quality timber and could be difficult to match, i wonder if a new backsplash that went all the way up to the bottom of the wall cabinet (and without the feature tile all round) would create a more streamlined look?

laurietrott thanked oklouise
  • anjiblue
    7 år siden
    I suggest you remove those doors and install push-to-open lift up doors. It can be done with just two long doors. And paint them the same colour as the wall. If you build in above it will make the whole room feel crowded. Don't build up! I recently saw a kitchen reno on better homes on 7 and they removed all wall cupboards. Looked sooo much bigger.
    laurietrott thanked anjiblue
  • pascoeyvonne
    7 år siden

As Mel N suggested, a bulkhead is the best way to go and should not be too costly. This ensures no dust or bugs stick to the top of the overhanging cupboards.

laurietrott thanked pascoeyvonne
  • robandlyn
    7 år siden

I agree that a bulkhead would be the perfect solution - we had cupboards like yours in our last house and I got tired of always having to climb up and dust on top. We have built our latest house and got a bulkhead installed, it all looks tidy and finished and no dusting on top! Adding baskets or other odds and ends will just be more things to clean.

laurietrott thanked robandlyn
    7 år siden
    I am showing a couple of pics with and without bulkhead. Some time ago, I had the glass cupboards installed and the builder was going to put a bulkhead in to match the existing cupboards. However when the cupboards were up, we both liked the open look without the bulkhead.
    Yes, more cleaning, up a ladder. Ha ha.

Best wishes with whatever you decide.
    laurietrott thanked 94236633
  • laurietrott
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thank you everyone for your great comments. Lots of ideas to ponder on! Many thanks, appreciate it, but will now close this topic (if I can) in case I don't see future comments and fail to acknowledge them. Cheers!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.