scotg99

Fireplace stonework and built-in shelving questions.

Scot
7 år siden

My goal is something like this picture:

Fireplace would be closer to the floor so the mantle and TV can be taht much lower for better viewing.

The price my builder quoted me for the built ins was more than I'm willing to spend right now. I can build them myself far cheaper, and I like to DIY stuff anyway. So my dilemma is, how much stone do I have him install at the time of build? I like the exposed returns, but if I have him put stones on the returns, will that make fitting the cabinets and shelving difficult? As in, will there be a bunch of unsightly gaps between the cabs and the stones? Are there any tricks to minimizing these gaps? Ideally, I assume one would build the cabs/shelves and THEN do the stone, so the stone is in front of the wood, but since I'm going to DIY the wood stuff after moving in, what's my best course of action? I could have him only install stone on the returns above the level of the cabinets, since it would be a waste to have the stone be completely covered by the cabs, but how high are cabinets like this typically? 30"?

(7) kommentarer

• gtcircus
    7 år siden
    I meant you cut the stone up to the cabinets
  • PRO
    Ornametals and Finer Welding, Inc.
    7 år siden

I would go ahead and wrap the stone, and leave an intentional space 6"-12" between the stone and shelves, then add some soft up/down lighting in the gap to enhance the stone work a couple of nice iron sconces in the gap would also make a statement!

Scot thanked Ornametals and Finer Welding, Inc.
  • Scot
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

I don't think I've seen a setup with an intentional gap. can you post or link some pics of examples?

An bellburgmaggie, are you suggesting installing the cabs and shelves, then cutting a grove in the stone in which to insert a trim board?

My only other idea is to cut a trim board to match the profile of the stone, which would be very time consuming and still probably not turn out all that great.

• PRO
    Ornametals and Finer Welding, Inc.
    7 år siden

Here are a couple of samples, although they do not have the stone work, the concept is there.

Scot thanked Ornametals and Finer Welding, Inc.
  • Lynda
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

I have a similar fireplace with bookshelves. My cabinet maker placed a temporary "stop" that outlined the placement of the cabinets. The stone mason then installed the stone right up to the stop. The cabinet maker later removed the stop and installed the bookshelves - there is a small piece of filler? along the fireplace wall so the cabinets can open fully. Hope that helps.

Scot thanked Lynda
  • Scot
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Putting in a temporary stop board seems like a pretty good idea. Only downside is that I have to design the cabinets and shelves completely ahead of time since I'll be committed to whatever profile I outline for the masons.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.