andrea_coffman

Saving original tile or installing new?

Andrea Coffman
7 år siden

We are renovating our guest bathroom in our 1927 bungalow house, and can't agree on what to do about tile!

The bathroom has one inch white hexagon tile flooring with dark gray/black grout, which we uncovered when we ripped up the carpet that the previous owners had installed (ugh!). We think the tile is original to the house. The tile was in pretty rough shape- rust stains, cracks and breaks from the carpet nails with a corner area missing, adhesive residue, and a hazy buildup over the grout.

My husband and I are at odds- he desperately wants to restore, patch, and save the tile floor, while I think it would be better in the long run and for resale to replace the tile (as much as I like the original tile!). What do you think?? Try to save the old, knowing it won't be perfect, or install new marble hex tile? Do you think the charm of having original tile outweighs the value of having perfect new tile?

(So far, we have reglazed the original tub and installed large marble tiles in the shower, with insets backed with 1 inch marble hex tile. We will have a navy marble top vanity, and Delta champagne bronze fixtures throughout.)

(11) kommentarer

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 år siden

Love the floor! Original to the 1927 build? Keep it!

Andrea Coffman thanked JudyG Designs
  • sunnydrew
    7 år siden
    Keep the original tile...it is your guest bath and there is no reason to rip it out since it looks so good for being 90 years old.
    Andrea Coffman thanked sunnydrew
  • PRO
    MOVAdesign
    7 år siden

Keep the original tile. Repair the the ones damaged. Clean and reseal the grout.

Andrea Coffman thanked MOVAdesign
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 år siden

Save it. A pro can make it look new.

Andrea Coffman thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • samanthapullaro
    7 år siden
    Fab tile!!! Keep it.
    Andrea Coffman thanked samanthapullaro
  • gtcircus
    7 år siden
    Having lived in an old house, saving it may not be possible. Get a professional in to look at it and then see if you can locate your tile at a salvage shop to work it in. If you cannot make it look right then you will have to replace it. Remember things do wear out, even tile. Your floor is almost 100 years old and if the grand old lady can look distinguished again then let her sing, if she looks like a drab old beat up floor, put her to rest and thank her for the 100 years of service and install a new floor.
    Andrea Coffman thanked gtcircus
  • gtcircus
    7 år siden
    They still make that floor so you can simply get that floor in stone and replicate the original look if it cannot be salvaged.
    Andrea Coffman thanked gtcircus
  • PRO
    Geneva Floors
    7 år siden
    This pro would probably charge more to repair than to install a new floor. That same tile is still available and you can use a much better grout.
    Andrea Coffman thanked Geneva Floors
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 år siden

You can re grout what is there.

A mess to pull it out and what is there is terrific.

Andrea Coffman thanked JudyG Designs
  • Diane
    7 år siden
    Save, have it repaired. It is wonderful no likely a better tile then you get now.
    Andrea Coffman thanked Diane
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.