eilidhmca

Remove a redundant AGA

eilidhmca
7 år siden
I've recently bought a house that has an AGA range cooker in the dining area, it's not working and I don't think it ever has been in this position so it's just there for show! I think it adds nothing, and I don't like it. The house has very little storage so I'd like to remove it and get a custom cupboard fitted in the space. My other half is hesitant do do this....any ideas and opinions would be welcome! :)

(8) kommentarer

• PRO
    Ministry of the Interior
    7 år siden

Hello Eilidh. I would recommend that you sell the Aga (I sold min through Classy Cookers. But a cupboard here will always look like a cupboard in a fireplace. Have you considered a woodburner or lookalike gas version of the same? I agree with Panoramics though about the use of plants and perhaps making this into your bar, be sure to incorporate some LED strip and reflective surfaces. Have a good day! Sarah

• Stephen Edwards
    7 år siden

If space is at a premium and you feel you can make better use of the space then I'd agree to get rid. A daft question, but is it even complete or is it just mocked up in position using the front and top? I would say it looks more like a Rayburn rather than an Aga (I know they are now the same company, but they are constructed differently and the Aga is more sought after). It looks such a very tight fit that I can't think it will be easy to remove without damage to the cooker itself and the surrounding walls and floor. If you try to move it in one piece, even removing the doors and hotplate to save weight you have an awful lot of cast-iron, steel and fire bricks to deal with. I would check with one of the companies that sells second-hand ones whether it has any value, but unfortunately I doubt that this particular model is very sought after. If you just want the space it would probably be easiest to dismantle it or break it up in situ which would cause the least damage to your surrounding areas. I probably wouldn't go for a doored cupboard in the space, but a shelving system incorporating wine rack, open shelves, pull out wicker baskets and/or custom drawers.

• Rosie Last
    7 år siden
    Definately sell the AGA even if you don't know if it works. I have a similar layout and putting a cupboard in there would close it down. I added a oak floating shelf above the opening to make it look like a fireplace then put a basket and a lantern in it.
  • Sarah Bowden
    7 år siden

My husband and I removed an Aga from my mum's house (we were selling and it wasn't wanted). We dismantled it ourselves (they are VERY heavy, so don't try lifting it in one go). We're handy at DIY but not experts - and it was really very simple. Just unscrew anything that looks like it will unscrew, starting with the lids and the black top piece and work your way through it steadily. Or you could try selling it with 'buyer dismantles'? Good luck!

• eilidhmca
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thanks for all your help! I've contacted a few companies but as the Rayburn is so old (it's the first one they released! It's of no value other than for scrap) going to dismantle it ourselves and get it picked up for scrap. Then can go for there deciding what do do with the hole! Thanks a lot everyone
  • ashleyizz
    7 år siden
    try putting on gumtree or eBay first. as probably find a buyer
  • Mark Adler
    7 år siden
    Wrong vc vgccjgvzzf
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.