hzdeleted_39587365

What would you do to modernize this home hopefully without painting it

User
7 år siden

What would you do the modernize this home hopefully without painting it?

(15) kommentarer

• User
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Also this is what other homes in the neighborhood are starting to do

• decoenthusiaste
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Love the picket fence! Is that a ramp/porch? Do you need the ramp? If not, I would be removing all of that in favor of a small porch under a portico to be more in keeping with the cottage feeling here. Something with stone could be appropriate.Chain link fence lowers property values. If that isn't your to remove, hide it behind more of the pretty picket fence. You might hide the HVAC unit that way too. I'd square up the dog leg in the fencing as well.

EW Renovation · Mere information

Cherrydale Green Cottage · Mere information

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 år siden

and all of those have been painted.

kind of hard to modernize the house w/that country red brick. take off those poor shutters.

what else do you have in mind?? if you don't want to paint, you probably aren't going to want to do any landscaping. the red brick, the white windows, the white picket fence, is all cute country house. what exactly do you want?

• PRO
    TAYLOR DESIGN CONSULTANTS, inc.
    7 år siden
    I would remove the picket fencing, leave porch area, add shutters to right of house but definitely paint all shutters Sherwin Williams Black Fox.
    Prune tree to get pretty shape so new growth would not "hide" the house.
    Remove storm door or paint it darker as well to contrast from the red brick. Then paint the solid wood front door sharp contrasting color to pop and say "hello"!

The front yard could have interesting design with border plants or landscape stones or edging to define the property.
    A bit of hard work but could be very attractive!!!
    Good luck with your venture!

TAYLOR DESIGN CONSULTANTS, Inc.
    3-12-17

brick
  • lefty47
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

HI -- So you want to turn a little cottage into something more modern . You have kind of tied our hands ..saying no painting . Can you at least paint a little bit ?... like all that is white ... paint a modern dark color like a navy or a charcoal or a very dark almost black green . Do not keep the shutters . And then a pretty modern color ( not red ) for the front door . Have some vented fencing built to hide the air conditioner also painted the dark color . You could modernize the fence by removing the curved pickets to the horizontal board and then add some boards on the horizontal post to post ... and paint that the same dark color . That is what the painting will do .

• User
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thank yall for all of your help. Is there a tool where I can play around with the exterior home design that you all are aware of? This is an investment property so trying to really spruce up the curb appeal. I think I'll remove the picket fence and wheel chair ramp. Landscaping; hide AC unit w Landscaping & possibly change front porch in some way. If you have any images you can share for help I would certainly appreciate it. Or websites that you might find helpful

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 år siden

If the interior is also handicap accessible consider keeping the ramp, if it's up to code. Accessible housing is an important commodity.

• gtcircus
    7 år siden
    You can stain brick also or parge it. You need to get an architect or designer on board.
  • jhmarie
    7 år siden

This reminds me a bit of my first home in St. Louis. Try some landscaping and flower boxes under the windows. I love the pic of the perennials above. Is this the back? I can see the air conditioner.

• kathleen MK
    7 år siden
    The picket fence is cute but does the front yard need to closed in?
    if so , at least take off the part that encloses the ramp. Blend the ramp and porch with the fence by painting them white. Leave floor boards weathered wood.
    Or remove fence to open up the yard. Use pieces of fence to screen the AC unit and the chain link fence where the trash bins are. Use some stacked pavers or edging stones if you need to separate a parking space from the front yard flower beds.
    Definitely trim up the canopy of the tree maybe even remove a couple of the multiple trunks. edge the ramp and porch with perennials or very low growing evergreens.
    The red brick is classic with white trim so not painting them is a good call. However a brighter color on the doors and shutters like a mossy or sage green, golden yellow, or a blue grey would look good.
  • absg99
    7 år siden
    I would:
    -change the color of the shutters to something more visible, and make sure all from windows have them (my first reaction is black)
    -enclose the a/c unit (you could repeat the picket fence
    -change the front door- or take off storm door? Would be great to have a painted door
    -change out the porch light to something slightly more modern (but not crazy!).
    -add modern house numbers

(I am moving soon a but currently live in a brick house with a white picket fence as well! We are getting ready to put our house on the market and have also wanted to up the curb appeal!)
  • happyleg
    7 år siden

I would plant a low bush in mid range of yard so not to see meter/ac from street.

• MarleneM
    7 år siden
    The other homes in the neighbourhood are clean and simple. I'm glad you're removing the ramp and fence as I think they overwhelm the home. I would paint shutters something close to shingle colour, refresh white trim, and a blue door. A stone walkway would be a great addition to the landscape plan.
    Cottage Charm · Mere information
  • happyleg
    7 år siden

Yes remove fence if u don't need it.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.