adriennebarber_ab

Kitchen Makeover

Adrienne
7 år siden
Hi all,

I've just bought a house and this is the kitchen that we have inherited. It isn't bad, but could do with a spruce up. I'm not a fan of the floor, but that will be costly to replace I think. What would you do for about £1k to give this kitchen a makeover?

TIA!

(5) kommentarer

• Viv Bristow
    7 år siden
    I'm not sure how cheap this is to do in practice, but the worktops look good so could you change the cupboard doors/draws for a more shaker style in wood or white/light colour and perhaps change the floor, keeping it as cheap as poss with a kitchen-suitable laminate?? Still dear though I suppose as it looks a large area. Cupboard door change ought to do it I reckon though. Similar pic attached.
    Adrienne thanked Viv Bristow
  • A B
    7 år siden

I think it would cost a bit more than 1k but should last- replace the doors with a light grey, remove the wall cupboards (possible replace some to match the new doors or have a couple of open shelves), retile, replace light fitting and table, and consider a rug under the table. I'd paint the walls a very light grey too

Adrienne thanked A B
  • Lisa D
    7 år siden
    I'd paint the cupboards and replace the handles as a bigger priority then the floor. If you get someone in it will cost more than £1k - I just had mine done. But you could do it yourself if that's the budget
    Adrienne thanked Lisa D
  • PRO
    Ministry of the Interior
    7 år siden

Dear Adrienne, I hope you are having a good day and thanks for posting your query.

You've a wonderful spacious kitchen but it has little personality. Everything has been chosen to be neutral but I don't expect it feels very homely, and it looks boring. There are a number of sensible inexpensive options.

I can see that it's tiled up to the wall units, then I think painted above?

Are you averse to colour? If not, since you have a lovely wide window and masses of natural light I would suggest a bold colour change - any colour that sings to you and that has some conversation with the rooms that lead from this room (unless they are also being made over). Don't be nervous of deep colours - they work exceptionally well in a kitchen and I've used Farrow & Ball's Off Black throughout a kitchen recently that will be in a national magazine shortly. Or try a dark navy blue, a deep green but - go bold! And don't be afraid to include the ceiling in the redec - no white lids..

Alternatives:

• paint the units
    • paint the tiles (use Blackfriars problem-solving primer first)
    • use a long rug under the table to add some texture (but if you have tiny children use one from Dash & Albert that you can hose down!)
    • repaint the tabletop and legs (I would go black to reference the worksurfaces and handles on the fridge)
    • add sheepskins to the chairs (not if you have small people!)

If you are in the south or east of England I offer home consultations and full reports so that you can run ideas past a pro and get some inspiration you might not have considered.

Best of luck!

Sarah

Adrienne thanked Ministry of the Interior
  • Daisy England
    7 år siden
    It all depends on your budget. If funds are really tight then paint them yourself. If you're slightly flexible with the £££s then swap the fascias.
    Adrienne thanked Daisy England
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.