sharayak

Houses like this?

sharayak
7 år siden
Not really a "design dilemma" but I'm wondering if any one has a home like this?

This picture is a Eatons catalogue house which our home was probably based on. Although ours isn't exactly the same plan, and not a kit house, the general look is the same. It is a very modest "craftsman" and I'm wondering if there is a style that describes it better. It has no fireplace or stained glass. Oak floors and 12 inch baseboards on the main, fir floors upstairs. The mouldings are simple. Three rooms on the main floor, plus kitchen addition and 4 and a bath upstairs.

We have a lot of inspiration, and would love to restore the exterior. Someone "ruined" the front in the 70s with aluminum windows, shutters and soffits, and wide vinyl siding over the cedar shakes and original plank siding. All the houses here have had their porches covered, that might be original.

Does anyone own a house similar? Or what style is this? It was built around 1910.

(8) kommentarer

• sharayak
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Our Simple Old House · Mere information

House with the 70s upgrades.
  • sharayak
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    One main difference from my house and the Eatons house is the window jutting out and our house used to have more corbels. There are two other houses like ours in our neighbourhood and they have the corbels.
  • PRO
    Julie Kardatzke Architect, LLC
    7 år siden

I agree. I'd consider that an American Foursquare. There are many variations of that style.

• sharayak
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    It does really have the plain and practical sentiments of the Foursquare, but would a Foursquare be without a hip roof and dormers? Really it's even a more plain foursquare!
  • PRO
    Julie Kardatzke Architect, LLC
    7 år siden

I don't think it's a perfect fit for the Foursquare category, but I can't think of any other style that it's closer to.

• Houzz-bruger-ID-544918590
    2 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}2 år siden

We used to own one like that. Very close match to the Eatons Ealing house. Ours was 1ft narrower but the Eatons houses weren’t kits. they were blueprints and a railcar full of lumber so each owner could customize all thethey wanted during the build. One thing that made it stand out is there should be a small cantalever on the right side with a dormer roof. Many similar houses have a dormer, but many fewer have the cantalever bumped out. What really sealed it for me was looking at the eatons floor plan, seeing it had a front vestibule and the looking closely at our house to find faint outlines in the plaster where it had been repaired after vesitbule walls were removed.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.