jillgamblen81

Should the range be centred with the island?

Jill Gamblen
7 år siden
We are building a new home with an open concept kitchen / living room. Does the range need to be centred with the island?

(15) kommentarer

• Jill Gamblen
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thanks for your quick response!
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    7 år siden

Lack of symmetry drives some folks crazy. I don't see it as such a big deal. If you attempted to align the two, the trade-offs in other places would be significant and make the range wall not work. I think it looks fine.

Here is one that we worked on that is not aligned, however the sink and range do line up.

Oak Hollow Transitional Kitchen · Mere information

• User
    7 år siden
    We centred ours. Went to a few houses with similar layouts and it was our preference. We changed the location of the pantry to accommodate the range being centred.
  • User
    7 år siden
    Sorry the post above reminded me we actually centred the sink and range not island!
  • Jill Gamblen
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thanks for your comment about the symmetry and yes I feel that we have to make a trade off to get the large pull out beside the fridge in and that is moving the range over but was worried about looking at the kitchen from the living room wondering if the off-center range would look funny. We will have nothing in the island like a sink or stove top so it will just be a large island with seating area.
  • Wayne M
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

I don't think it's necessary. In the last kitchen I made several decisions based on symmetry. Function is more important and in the next kitchen I'll choose differently.

Besides, no one is ever going to be floating four feet in the air to look at your kitchen from the angle of that rendering.

• PRO
    Neela Woodard Design, LLC
    7 år siden

I agree, everything looks like it is where it should be as far as centering goes. I would however make sure you have enough working space on either side of your stove. You probably do but it doesn't hurt to test it out.

• meggielh
    7 år siden
    The range looks fine, but I'm concerned about your sink placement and the tall upper cabinets to the left if it. You won't be able to open the right door if there is anything on the counter. It also looks like access to those cabinets would be difficult and awkward, if not impossible.
  • PRO
    Neela Woodard Design, LLC
    7 år siden

I agree actually with meggielh. I think that is what was bugging me about the stove workspace room too. If those are uppers I think it would be better.

• Jill Gamblen
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thanks for all the feedback regarding not needing to centre the range with the island. The idea for those cabinets to the right is it is for appliance storage (toaster and blender) as I don't want them visible on the counter. The window above the sink will fold completely to the right for a servery to the outside deck

• Wayne M
    7 år siden

If you're going to use those cabinets as an appliance garage, I would suggest breaking it into using a 20" high cabinet for the countertop level with a vertical cabinet door, like in the photo, and then the tall cabinet with standard door the rest of the way.

Now that it's been pointed out, the clearance between the sink and the right cabinet seems awfully close.

Harbour Pointe (Mukilteo, WA) Kitchen · Mere information

• leelee
    7 år siden

What you don't want is to get the island too close to the perimeter cabinets. 48 inches is not too much. From the drawing it wouldn't be possible to center the island with the range without re-configuring the whole kitchen.

What if you turned the island so small end is centered with the range?

• Jill Gamblen
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Good point regarding the far right-hand cabinet and it's proximity to the sink I will go back to our kitchen designer to address this. Splitting the cabinets into two cabinets (with the lower cabinet having a door that opens straight up as opposed to swing out) is probably the way to go. We had considered the island direction but we prefer the current configuration.
  • Joy L
    sidste år

Hi Jill, I know it’s been 5 years but I’m wondering what you ended up deciding for the placement of your stove. I’m currently in the same predicament and in the planning phase. Our stove would be slightly off centered with our island. Would love to see a photo of your kitchen if you’d be open to sharing.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.