isidora_markovic90

Under-cabinet lighting - hit or miss?

Isidora Markovic
7 år siden

For some, under-cabinet lighting in a kitchen is a striking choice that lifts a space by adding visual appeal and ambience. To others, it is the last thing they'd choose to incorporate into their design schemes!

Cleaveland Road · Mere information

But, which camp do you fall in? And, would you argue that such lighting is only suited to certain styles, such as contemporary kitchens, or do you think it can be pulled off across the board?

Share all under-cabinet lighting related thoughts with us below!

Hit
Miss

(31) kommentarer

• PRO
    InConstruction Services Ltd
    7 år siden

Under-cabinet lighting can add a really interesting dimension to the lighting structure of any home space. It might not always be architecturally appropriate or fit everyone's taste, but we think, used creatively, it can definitely be a hit in any room.

• Jenny Bartoszewicz
    7 år siden

Naff

• blueriband
    7 år siden

Surely another way to up-sell a kitchen. I want to live in a home not a showroom.

• pawsonpads
    7 år siden

I'm reminded of UFO's and this beautiful kitchen is having it's integrity cheapened by gimmick.

• ipend
    7 år siden

Tacky

• Anicecuppatea
    7 år siden
    I like under cupboard lighting especially at night. Just enough light without having the ceiling lights on.
  • choille
    7 år siden

Yes, agree with pawsonpads - you would need to have the theme tune to Dr Who playing on a continuous loop.

• angelboyman
    7 år siden

Like others have said, they're a bit tacky really. Same as those colour changing lights - keep it simple unless you have a dedicated 'disco' room in the house. For me, I don't see the point of a light under the lower cabinets - once all your mates have seen it then what purpose is it really serving you? Yep, tacky and a touch chavy.......sorry.....

• Anicecuppatea
    7 år siden
    Oops I meant lighting under wall cupboards is useful but not underfloor cabinets!
  • peter_bond3
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Think task lighting. Main lights are important when you get the hoover out but for most of the time casts your own shadow over what you are preparing/cooking and should be left off. So under upper-cupboard lights light only the task area and there are no shadows. Trouble is you can't see much else in the room. Under lower cabinet lights give you non glare general lighting where you then need it most - at foot level to see things on the floor, fallen utensils, food and water splashes etc and to avoid trips and falls. Gets my vote.

• PRO
    Conbu Interior Design
    7 år siden

Under cupboard LED lighting is great for providing task lighting. Also, it creates a nice atmosphere when all the other lights are switched off. Under cabinet lighting at floor level can work well in more modern kitchens.

• PRO
    Illya Kitchens
    7 år siden

They are great for contemporary kitchens, especially if you have the LED strip (it's very thin) and not the bulky halogen unit. Think about coming into the kitchen at night for a drink, or early in a winter morning when it is dark outside. It's more comfortable to switch these on first, plus they bring more light to your working area.

With all the above being said - each to their own :)

• Suki Sandhu
    7 år siden
    Depends on the kitchen design - with our kitchen we don't have wall units so the floor lighting on the island gives it a nice glow
  • Jane Bateman
    7 år siden

Just why? I'm sure it would just light up the dirt!

• PRO
    Darklight Design Ltd
    7 år siden

That’s a good question Isidora.

As a lighting designer I would tend to include under kitchen cabinet lighting in most of my projects. This is because not only does it offer discreet task lighting, but it also offers a subsidiary lighting circuit that can be switched on its own while you dine - helping to create the ambience that you need when you’re entertaining. Lighting under units is definitely leaning towards the linear form, such as the Topline 8, as it tends to suit most of the popular modern kitchen styles, is very easy to install and can be made to measure.

Kind regards, Rich
    Darklight Design

• nadra
    7 år siden

Only suited to modern sleek kitchens, unlike the above photo ... Especially great when paired with above cabinet lighting! I have both and it makes for great ambiance lighting once the cooking is done in our open plan kitchen / living space. Love it both aesthetically and functionally.

• Joanna Biddolph
    7 år siden

It's absolutely essential! Makes prepping so much easier - and enjoyable. Ah, just realised from blueriband below that this debate is about lighting under the floor cabinets, not under the wall cabinets. Not for me thanks. Can't see why it's worth installing. What does it achieve?

• blueriband
    7 år siden

I think we are talking about different under-cabinet lighting. Lights under wall cabinets can give a nice ambience and are functional. Floor level under cabinet lighting has very little function and can look less than up-market.

• Taz
    7 år siden

Strip lights under base units, eeww, no. As someone said, looks chavvie. A bit like those souped-up boy racer cars that put bright LEDs underneath the body. No thanks Here, I prefer subtle circular plinth lights spaced a couple of feet apart. Nothing more, nothing less.

However, under wall units to light up a gorgeous stone worktop, definitely.

Lights in wall units with glass doors, possibly, though I'm not a big fan. In our new kitchen with its anthracite gloss doors I'm asking for a slim pull-out base unit for drinks which lights up when pulled. But thats about as much 'bling' as I'll allow.

• PRO
    Starfish Interiors
    7 år siden
    not in this kitchen...im not totally against it in the right kitchen..but would be looking to install in an ultra sleek gloss kitchen with modern fittings only..
  • lisa77226
    7 år siden
    I really do believe your home should be exactly what you want it to be. For me this is not necessary and I'm not a fan of the look.
  • PRO
    PWJ Architects Ltd
    7 år siden

LED strips for low level cupboard/island plinths have their merits in showcasing themselves, however aren't necessary if the space already houses good lighting from overhead lights or natural lighting.

However, using under cabinet lighting underneath wall units works particularly well when the main lighting isn't required and the occupants wish to have a dimmer atmosphere. They can also serve the purpose of providing necessary light for worktops when being used for cooking etc.

www.pwjarchitects.com

• Kayte Mosse
    6 år siden

banishes the depressing gloom and doom of a kitchen with just a ceiling light. You simply cannot go wrong with under cabinet lighting. Lifts the spirit :-)

• Patrina
    6 år siden
    Tacky
  • Rose Williams
    6 år siden

LOVE it .... when plinthless, theres NO muck under my cupboards. Pic with the dog was a few days ago, and you can see the green connection is a little off on the main run but I will fix that :)

• Rose Williams
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

PS. I love Sci Fi, Doctor Who, Steam Punk, fast cars and have lights under my project car... I guess it explains my obsession with moody RGB lit everything.... no, I'm not joking :) I have recessed spotlights everywhere, but every other one is, white set, rgb set. I must say, the colours do relax what can be a very stressful life... it makes us happy

• Marc Merton
    6 år siden
    Not quite under cabinet lighting - I added LED tape under and over the wall units. We have four types of lighting, but these light up the room on their own. They seem to lift the room compared to when they're switched off.
  • A S
    6 år siden
    Hi Marc,

can I ask which Led strip light you used, that most certainly is bright.... I've considered the Philips Hue Strip lighting, but would like to know regarding alternatives.

Many Thanks
  • Marc Merton
    6 år siden
    Hi, it's LED tape from TLC Electrical, 350 lumens per metre in warm white. You can buy an inline dimmer. The photo probably shows it slightly brighter, but the brightness is just right for task lighting. Hope that helps.
  • PRO
    Juliettes Interiors Ltd
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

It seems obviously not to everyone's taste, but we feel in many circumstances this under cabinet lighting can bring a kitchen to life, adding a creative visual dimension and a soft backlit atmosphere. Definitely a place for it in kitchen design whatever your style.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.