danastone72

painting kitchen cabinets white

Dana
7 år siden
looking for advice on best paint (oil or latex) & any other tips pls and thank you!!

(16) kommentarer

• PRO
    Lenore Callahan Interior Design
    7 år siden

Oil paint is always the best, but its stinky and takes longer to dry! Latex will be ok! Make sure you get a qualified painter and make sure they spray the cabinets. Brush painting and rollers will leave marks, and if you dont like that look, you will be unhappy in the end!

• ubaby
    7 år siden

Chalk paint works great! Used it twice

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 år siden

white oil base paint will yellow. BM Advance or SW Pro Classic are the faves

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 år siden

Advance is amazing. On a recent job, my painter sprayed the doors. Looked like new, high end cabs when he was through.

Muralo is also a good choice.

• PRO
    Linda
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

We like Breakthrough from Pittsburgh Paints. It is a very fast drying water base with a slick, hard finish like an oil. It is self priming and can be used on ceramic tile, glass, laminate, and concrete floors as well as cabinets, trim and doors.

It is possible to spray two coats, sometimes three, and rehang the doors the same day.

• Mary Elizabeth
    7 år siden

JudyG, could you elaborate on any advantages/disadvantages between the BM Advance and the Muralo Ultra when used for cabinets? I have access to either of these.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 år siden

Mary Elizabeth, I have painted w/every paint, I thought, was out there. first I've heard of Muralo. I have never seen it in Calif. I have used the Advance on everything wood and can vouch for it's quality. The other one you might look into is Fine Paints of Europe. I've used their Eco line because it's the water base paint. It's beautiful and expensive. leaves a very durable coat and it's sprayable.

but I looked up the Muralo and found this on a painters forum. the orig op was also doing her cabinets and wanted to know the diff between spraying BM or the Muralo. here is one reply:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgreenhaw

Is it ok to use a HVLP spray gun to apply Benjamin Moore Muralo paint? I purchased a Husky HDS590 HVLP gravity feed spray gun and am getting ready to paint the kitchen cabinets I sanded. Everyone I have spoken to has recommended the Advance or Muralo paint which is a latex enamel. The paint gun manual says it is designed to spray light to medium viscosity paints.

I admit I am a novice at this and this is my first time using this spray gun. I'd really prefer not to ruin it.

Ben Moore and Muralo are 2 separate companies...Ben Moore Advance is a water-borne alkyd and I'm guessing the Muralo product they're recommending is their water-borne acrylic Ultra-Ceramic (at least, I hope it is). Both would be considered a medium viscosity paint, but it will probably still require a little thinning prior to spraying through an HVLP - with either product, thin, sparingly, only with water.

Neither of these products are what you'd call "conventional" interior paints... and each possesses characteristics that give them the tough, durable film necessary for kitchen cabinets. There is, however, a learning curve for the application of both these products - especially if, as you say, you are a novice to this. If this is your first time applying either one of these coatings, or the first time spraying via HVLP, my advice to you is buy an extra quart or so and practice, practice, practice on some type of board (other than your cabinets) to get the feel of the gun, and learn the application nuances of the paint, before committing to the entire job.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either product, but if it were up to me, I'd opt for the Muralo Ultra-Ceramic as I have a version of that on my kitchen cabinets, that I sprayed through HVLP, about 15 years ago - and still looks great. Good luck to you - and remember...practice!

• Mary Elizabeth
    7 år siden

Beth H., thanks for that input. Just for clarification, the Muralo Paint Company (out of New Jersey) was purchased by California Paints in late 2014.

Our paint dealer has said there a few slight changes in a couple of the products, but not noticeable unless it's side by side with the older version.

Ultra Ceramic was their line of kitchen/bath paints for walls & ceilings. Ultra Waterborne Enamel was their trim/cabinet line. We have used both, and it is good paint. My husband applies the enamel with an HVLP.

We are about 75% complete on a large remodel project. Two of the remaining projects include painting the maple kitchen cabinetry, and also, a large, floor to ceiling library cabinet. Given the amount of work involved, we want to use the absolute best product currently on the market.

From your experience, could you elaborate on any advantages and/or disadvantages between the BM Advance and the FPE Eco?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 år siden

as for BM, I really don't have a con. I think it would have to be thinned for your sprayer.

I've used the ECO line on a few vintage furniture pieces. The sheen and richness of color (they have their own colors and also match BM colors) is the best on the market. The ECO is the water based hybrid while their Hollandlac is the oil base. if you want to see what that color looks like sprayed (it's amazing) go over to The Resplendent Crow. The Hollandlac line for FPE is all she sprays with on her pieces.

http://www.theresplendentcrow.com/blog/

• Mary Elizabeth
    7 år siden

I looked at her site - fun stuff!

Do you spray or brush the ECO? (We prefer the water based products.)

The best wear layer will be the deciding factor between brands of paints.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 år siden

I've painted w/the ECO line. it's a beautiful finish (glossy), very thick and meaty. Brushing it is what I do. Yes, it's a bit of work, but I like brushing over setting up my sprayer! this is one I did in the ECO line w/a brush. (I fine sand between coats. with a sprayer, I'm sure you would be fine w/2 coats).

I use a good primer first, sand, then paint. both colors are FPE. the colors are amazing.

I have to show you the before so you can appreciate the work!

If you want a glossy finish, FPE or BM Advance are the best. I can't speak about Muralo. even SW isn't as glossy or the colors as rich. But since you are doing white, that shouldn't be an issue. BM has a self leveling that is nice. FPE is a little more finicky while brushing, but it might spray better. You saw that blog I sent you to. all she does is spray and she gets a mirror shine. FPE is crazy expensive tho. a quart is over $50. Advance is maybe 37 or so per quart?

• Mary Elizabeth
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

Thanks for the details! The FPOE sounds awesome - my brushing skills, not so much! I think the learning curve to spray the Eco might be too much for us. Also, a FPOE dealer is almost 2 hours away.

Since my DH can do a near perfect application with an HVLP, I think we will go with California Paints Ultraplate for our kitchen & library cabinetry.

It is highly recommended by professionals on PaintTalk, & available at our local BM dealer.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 år siden

I would love to see the finished pic w/that paint. snap some pics during as well, and what the ratio of thinning is. thanks!

• Mary Elizabeth
    6 år siden

Yes Beth H., I will do that. The main projects for that paint are a ways out, but maybe we'll do a test on something smaller.

My planned projects for this summer are all using dark colors, and my understanding is that Ultraplate is only available in whites & pastels - no dark bases, due to too much colorant weakens the finish.

Do you have access to California Paints?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 år siden

no I don't, that I know of. I'll have to check. I do know that SW is the same w/the dark base. that's why I went with Advance. Their dark base is very nice. And FPoE does the BM colors as well. I've noticed that Advance paint, glossy, is glossier than the SW paint. I would use White SW, but that's about it. BM is still my go to.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.