ryandand

Ideas on opening up Kitchen

ryandand
7 år siden

My wife and I are purchasing our first home, and it is definitely in need of some updates. I'm not experienced in remodeling, and would love some advice from the folks here on Houzz that are more knowledgable than I am!
One of the first things we are hoping to tackle is a kitchen remodel. I would like to see if there is a good way to open up the kitchen more by taking out a large closet/walls that separate the kitchen from the family room.
Here is a link to the virtual tour of the house: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=QfzbFWBHog6

I'm wondering about the feasibility of knocking out that big closet next to the kitchen, and moving the refrigerator to the other side of the kitchen on the left side of the sink. If the entire wall behind the refrigerator is removed, maybe we can extend the countertops through where the refrigerator is currently and have a nice open view in to the living room.
I'd love to hear from more experienced people about whether this sounds like it could work, or whether it would be worth doing (in terms of potential cost/value added to the house).

Thanks for reading and for your advice!

(4) kommentarer

• CLC
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Congrats on your new home! Do you know if the walls are load bearing? I would get an engineer involved before anything else, to determine what you are working with. It also looks like you have the HVAC return in that wall, which would need to be rerouted (and not rerouted to kitchen location).

ryandand thanked CLC
  • smit2380
    7 år siden

Congratulations on the new house. It is hard to tell over the internet whether and how many load bearing walls are impacted (and what is in the walls). That will significantly impact costs. If it were me, I would live there 6 months before starting any large remodel projects. You get better ideas about what you really want to change after you live in the space for awhile.

ryandand thanked smit2380
  • PRO
    Detail by Design
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

I would definitely remove the closet and wall between the kitchen/living room. However, if you place the fridge on the left side of the sink it becomes very visible from the living room. I would move the range (to the left of the window) and put a more decorative hood above (as a nicer focal point or feature) and move the sink into an island increasing your prep space. Fridge would then move into the corner along the space wall where the range is currently (or put a pantry beside then fridge). The room has good size but poor layout cramming the range and fridge in that small corner. Before removing any walls you certainly need to make sure there in not a load-bearing factor. Hope that helps!

ryandand thanked Detail by Design
  • ryandand
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thanks for all the great comments! @CLC, the unit on the wall there is actually just an electric wall heating unit, so thankfully this project wouldn't involve re-routing the HVAC return. I definitely need to determine if there are load-bearing walls impacted there. @smit2380, that's great advice about living in the house for a while before taking on any major remodels. @Detail by Design: Thanks for the awesome insight!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.