kendo_miller

Front Door Dilemma

Kenny Miller
6 år siden
sidst ændret:6 år siden

Hi friends, we've updated our old bungalow by installing Anthracite windows and updating the brickwork with a new paint job. Question now is what to do with our existing front door? Can we get away with replacing the brass door furniture with silver equivalents, or should we replace the door? If so, what style and colour would work?

(35) kommentarer

• Kenny Miller
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thanks French and Wescott. Our thoughts exactly. It's a classic 50's bungalow so let's find a modern equivalent of an original 50's door. Still not sure about the colour though....?

• teenytinyhouse
    6 år siden

Simplest thing would be to paint the door to match the window frames. Possibly then replace the hardware, but that might not be needed after you paint the door. :)

• PRO
    French and Westcott
    6 år siden

Have you thought about having a colour that is either the same as the windows or a tonal variation of the windows? You could go for a painted door that is a couple of shades lighter than the windows which I think would help to bring it all together and look harmonious.

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    6 år siden
    I agree to go more modern to match the new contemporary look of your home. I would also go silver colour door furniture and maybe some glass to brighten the inside hall. I'll attach a few example.
    Colour is really a personal preference. The grey would be a great choice for the style and the windows.. however if you like more of a statement then there are definitely some options there too :)
  • Kenny Miller
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Thanks for all the interesting advice. I'm intrigued by the suggestion of a tonal variation of the windows. I've just painted a side gate a grey in-between the tone of the anthracite windows and the grey of the brickwork (F&B Worsted) and it's looking good. I also like the idea of being bolder so will digitally play around with the photo to see if I can find a colour that works. Thanks again!
  • bruket
    6 år siden

I would paint the house!

• PRO
    Croydon Window Company Ltd
    6 år siden

Hi Kenny, I would replace with a modern door in Antracite grey.

Kenny Miller thanked Croydon Window Company Ltd
  • craftycountess
    6 år siden

I am about to replace my 1950's bungalow windows in anthracite with the same colour door. I have original pebbledash which will then be rendered and painted white. Can't wait!

• PRO
    Bonsai Group
    6 år siden

Timber Windows and Entrance Doors · Mere information

I think a high quality contemporary timber door in this property would look good too. Something about the 50s style just seems to work with them. Greys and such like can be pretty neutral and indeed work in a variety of places including this (the windows look great for example) but for what its worth I think a splash of the right colour on the entrance door is the way to go. I'm just trying to find a contemporary door pic from our records with a similar looking property but this pic gives some idea and perhaps a possibility on colour

Kenny Miller thanked Bonsai Group
  • PRO
    Bonsai Group
    6 år siden

A few more here, some set into granite as it has similar tonal variations

French Grey

Wine red (shown for colour rather than )

Anthracite (colour rather than style)

Blue grey (colour rather than style)

Lots more to choose from our partners in this area: Timber Windows - Bonsai operates the Channel Island arm of this company so feel free to drop them a line and find your nearest dealer in the UK if you wish to explore more options

• Kenny Miller
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thanks for the further comments. We like our pebbledash so we won't be painting it. We have a saying here in Edinburgh about never ending jobs being like "painting the Forth Rail Bridge"....!

Modern anthracite seems the way forward, but the number 12 door in the Bonsai group pic is lovely.

Plenty food for thought!

• PRO
    Bonsai Group
    6 år siden

That's French Grey from the Timber Windows range Kenny. I believe its RAL 7032!

• tezz4
    6 år siden

The updated Windows and light fitting look smart! The house still has a nice classic look in general though, so l would lean towards replacing the hardware to something more contemporary and going for an aqua/Tiffany blue shade which will pop without taking the style too far from the original look. I think that too much grey will just make it look unremarkable.

• alyper
    6 år siden

Start by painting the door gun metal grey, paint or replace door furniture, see how it looks. If great consider replacing the door in a contemporary style, but you may well find a change of colour all that's needed, thereby saving many £££!

• PRO
    Mister Gates Direct
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

Hi Kenny

If you are considering replacing the door altogether take a minute to look at our Aluminium front entrance doors. We have modern as well as traditional styles all in our most popular finish - Anthracite!

Best of luck with your project!

Emma

Account Manager

Check out the full range of Aluminium entrance doors at www.mistergatesdirect.com

Kenny Miller thanked Mister Gates Direct
  • PRO
    GRP Composite Doors UK
    6 år siden

Hi Kenny,

Anthracite grey is currently a very popular choice and trend, a modern and contemporary style front door would be best suited to such coloured windows.

Here are a few examples...

Further front door styles can be viewed on our website page: http://www.grpcompositedoors.com/doors/front.php

• Kenny Miller
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

We're both liking French Gray and are beginning to think that tezz4 has a point suggesting Anthracite would be 'unremarkable'...! We're about to start a major internal refit so the final door solution will depend on how much is left in the kitty in a couple of months time. Wish us luck!

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    6 år siden

Also bear in mind the interior hallway if this is being refitted. The French Grey is gorgeous so you could work the colours and style in the hallway to compliment this - Or re-look at the door colour to complement your new interior!

Best of luck with your project and do keep us updated as you go Kenny.

• PRO
    MAKING THE WORLD BEAUTIFUL
    6 år siden

Hey Kenny,

You would want to match the color of the door with the windows, so I would recommend to just find the color tone which matches windows' color and just repaint it. It would be a lot cheaper than buying new door- the style of the door would match the style of the house and the colors would go with the windows. The gold fragments would even add some sophistication to the dark grey looks.

Good luck!!

• Kenny Miller
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Any comments on these mock-ups? Does the green work?
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    6 år siden
    I personally prefer the black from those images. It as more visual weight. The style works well.
  • PRO
    Mister Gates Direct
    6 år siden

I agree with the black door, to give a little modern touch with a handle bar like one of our aluminium entrance doors: https://www.mistergatesdirect.com/aluminium-entrance-door-emalu-vegas.html. 

• Kenny Miller
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thanks Mister Gates for the link. One thing I don't like about my mock-ups is the wood grain - for me it doesn't sit well with our smooth anthracite windows. The Vegas door looks great.

• PRO
    Mister Gates Direct
    6 år siden

It was just an example, happy to hear the model pleases. For any further inquiry just let us know. Best regards, Frederik

Kenny Miller thanked Mister Gates Direct
  • KK1000
    6 år siden
    When I first looked at your post before reading it my eyes went to the roof. I think it looks really old now with all new windows etc. I think the whole house would benefit from lighter colour roof if budget permits, as for the door just change hardware to stainless steel and paint it same colour as the windows.
  • Kenny Miller
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

A new roof! My wife says my new Houzz friends have expensive tastes!

• PRO
    Mister Gates Direct
    6 år siden

And what about your garden?

• KK1000
    6 år siden
    LOL , sorry I didn't mean new roof , just clean and paint job.
  • KK1000
    6 år siden
    As far as mock-ups go I like black.
  • Kenny Miller
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Re: the door. We're leaning towards dark, probably anthracite. I'll post a picture if and when we get around to changing it!

Re: roof. I'm not a massive fan of painted roofs. There are quite a few bungalows nearby us that have had their roofs treated and to me there's something about them that looks odd. I'd rather save my pennies and replace it.

Re: garden. Ha, ha! Fortunately we're perfectly happy with our garden.....
  • Kenny Miller
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

Don't know if anyone's interested but I promised an 'after' pic once we finally got around to changing our front door.....

• alyper
    6 år siden

So pleased you did an 'after'. Looks perfect!

Kenny Miller thanked alyper
  • tezz4
    6 år siden

Well done! You are obviously happy about it!!! Great

Kenny Miller thanked tezz4
  • A S
    6 år siden
    Love it!!
    The door works so much more better with your property.
    Kenny Miller thanked A S
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.