simonne15

Replacing a shower without completely redesigning the bathroom

simonne15
6 år siden

From an elderly consumer..... with no photos etc ...yet.
At this totally initial stage of first considerations:

1. What, (beyond dimensions available) is the most important element of a shower enclosure to consider first?
  2. What governs whether I can have the shower at floor level like a wet room, rather than a step into the enclosure?
  3. At present I like the flooring of the bathroom which isn't tiled; would I have to face replacing that?

Thanks to anyone who can advise.

(3) kommentarer

• PRO
    Anna Auzins Interiors Ltd.
    6 år siden

Hello, Simonne -- the most important element is the water pressure, that will determine which fittings you can use. Otherwise you need to decide whether you'd like an overhead shower, a hand-held shower, or both.

A floor-level shower is usually possible, the factors to consider are the sub-floor -- in a house it is usually floorboards, so there is space below for pipes, etc. In a flat which might have concrete floors this wouldn't work, and that might be one example of where you would have to have a shower tray. The pipes have to have a "fall", so that the water will run down.

And yes, you may well have to face re-doing the floor, especially if you have the floor-level shower, as then the entire floor is tiled; it is hard to connect two different types of floor, especially as the levels might be different.. If you have a shower enclosure it might be possible to save the floor, however if there are any changes of dimension or if any pipework needs to be laid below the floor then I'm afraid it will have to come up..

Good luck!

simonne15 thanked Anna Auzins Interiors Ltd.
  • PRO
    User
    6 år siden

Just as a top tip:- I know that it's far more fashionable these days to have floor entry showers / wet room style floors. However, if these develop a leak, then it is far harder to rectify it as the plumbing is under your flooring. Therefore, the tiles / flooring has to come up and get re-laid which is added expense. I know things shouldn't go wrong, but I wouldn't have a job if they didn't. The amount of exasperated home owners , when they learn that the tiles have got to come off the wall or the floor to fix a simple leak is astonishing.

I get called out several times a month for leaky shower valves, taps and trays. Valves that you can't get to because of the tiling, taps that you can't get to because the vanity has been put against a wall and 'tiled in', bath panels that are tiled in and have not access panels. Some bathroom designers clearly have no forethought for repairs and access to working parts!

simonne15 thanked User
  • PRO
    LUSSO
    6 år siden

Hi There,

Take a look at one of our recent launches, Lusso Stone Vigo shower enclosure range is the ultimate in luxury showering, with its unique design, Matte white textured anti-slip tray, and 10mm glass.Designed in Britain and based on an exclusive design that has revolutionised the bathroom industry. It offers flexibility in design, with its reversibility, along with safety in mind. The luxury Vigo shower enclosure range is the ultimate in high end showering!

simonne15 thanked LUSSO
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.