sarah_chambers93

Fireplace Help!! We need some bad!

Sarah Chambers
6 år siden
sidst ændret:6 år siden

Our fireplace is completely real stones/rocks and was built in the early 80s by a mining company owner. In the picture the lighting doesn't look so bad but it completely makes the room feel so dull and dark in person. Also it does not go with the style of the rest of the house at all! We have no idea what to do with it and we are trying to sell the house. I feel like some people may see it as a major eyesore! I have no idea what to do and need some advice! If not doing anything to it directly how should we style it??

(7) kommentarer

• apple_pie_order
    6 år siden

If the house is not getting offers, get some feedback from your agent from people who have looked at the house. If every single one said the fireplace is hideous, well, then, you'll know. But I doubt that the fireplace is a major issue.

It's interesting and well made with a good origins story, not an eyesore. Try taking the heavy fireplace screen away. Do the recessed lights have the brightest bulbs that are safe for the fixture?

• PRO
    Dream House
    6 år siden

You could pain it or stain it to look lighter and that will totally transform it. Keep the mantle ledge dark and remove the screen if possible. Adding a light color rug in the room might help to soften the space a bit it if you choose not to stain it. You have dark furniture surrounding a dark wall of cold stone, it needs some softness!

• hbfn
    6 år siden

I doubt that the fireplace is the only reason. It's not my style either but if I loved a house otherwise I could look past it. You might try minimizing it's presence via decor. I'd place a large basket or larger iron lantern (s) with candles on the hearth, or you could remove the screen & place a fireplace candelabra in its place. Lean a piece of art on the mantle, I wouldn't clutter it up but I would add a little decor.

• tfitz1006
    6 år siden

I don't think the screen is helping. Can you put something nice on the mantel? Rustic mirror, artwork, etc.

• Maureen
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

Have you already had people in and it's an issue? The first thing I would do is change the mantle, remove the heavy grill (too taste specific), add a basket on the hearth, rest a large mirror on the mantel and accessorize. It would be a selling point in fact and become a feature. New owners can easily change the color of the stone to their liking.

• Maria Privat
    6 år siden

Question: does the fireplace fit with the exterior of the house? Has the house an expensive kitchen in it, that has a totally different style? For if it doesn't fit with any of those, I indeed would let it be replaced. But if it would somehow fit (though perhaps not with your current furniture, which is replaceable), than it might be a shame to 'put it down'. This should be answered first!

Say, it does somehow fit with the exterior or with something more expensive of the interior, that still looks good. Then I would suggest the following:

The first thing that comes to my mind, is to paint the walls next to it in a soft tone of a color that is in the stones. To help it blend in. For in my taste this fireplace enhances the value of the house instead of it decreasing it.

Funny how many people are doubting the screen, but I in fact find it the most beautiful thing! I might search for some more wrought-iron accessoires to place elsewhere in the living room, to make it complete each other.

But of course you could indeed go for a lighter tone of the fireplace, though I wouldn't know how to do that. Ask a professional painter what your options are there. I'm afraid it won't look as nice as the pictures someone else placed in a comment above, for all the fireplace would have just that one color. The painter might know a special technique though.

Personally I hate what the blue couch is doing to it. That is all stripes and squares and doesn't combine well with the more round identity of the stones of the fireplace. Could you place a different couch there? Or drape a big cloth over it in the more classical style of the fireplace? Maybe in dark beige? Sometimes you find a matching couch almost for free at a thrift shop that sells furniture. Hundred dollars spent could bring in a thousand.

Dressing up the fireplace is also a good idea, someone else already gave you. I'd go for some big, rustic, round candles in about the red of the chair and place them on either side of the wooden shelf. A matching piece of art in the middle might be more difficult to find? Perhaps a vertically placed mirror in wrought-iron might do the trick for you?

Just imagine how beautiful that fireplace would fit in, if it were in a room with wooden beams at the ceiling. That's of course too demanding to do, but maybe nice to say to an interested buyer, that likes the style of that fireplace.

Someone commented to let people come first and then maybe they get disappointed with the house and tell the real estate agent why. That could waste you a lot of money! It might take half a year before someone else finds your house interesting again. Better make it good from the start. That is why home stagers have a job. I think in this case you might truly want one.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.