jncrobinson

Chandelier Height

jncrobinson
10 år siden
My master bath ceilings are 11' high. I have hung a chandelier, but it appears to be to high, what is proper height for chandeliers?

(42) kommentarer

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    If you walk under it, I'm guessing about 7'- 7 1.2' from the bottom of the chandelier to the floor. Not sure if this will work, need to see the whole room. This chandelier seems to be very large for a bathroom. Could you post some more pics of the entire room? It would be nice to see the space and the relationship to other elements in there.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 år siden
    If just hanging in open space where people walk. 78" from floor should work if over table 38" from table top.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 år siden
    I agree lite maybe to large for bath. Go about half the size.
  • PRO
    Chap De Laine's Interiors
    10 år siden
    Chandeliers in a bath aren't always a good idea. The light bulbs can get frozen in the sockets from too much moisture. Look for something that is rated for a damp to wet location. Fixtures of that type are usually enclosed, but there's a few chandeliers in that category. The diameter of the fixture should be the length added to width of the room in feet and turn that into inches, so if it's 10 by 10, you get 20, so 20 inches. Always try to keep the bottom of the fixture above 7ft if possible.
  • jncrobinson
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Not really sure what angle you want me to shoot from, but here goes, hope this is okay.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 år siden
    I feel that you don't need the chandelier and the other two light fixtures. Maybe replace with a smaller chandelier only, remove the two above the mirror amd use the chandelier centered over the vanity.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 år siden
    It may just need to be smaller.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 år siden
    Is it it the center of the space?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 år siden
    Large bathroom
    Master Bathroom · Mere information
  • PRO
    Arlene Awarda Architect
    10 år siden
    Hi, I agree with the above. Doorways, to walk thru are 7'0", usually 6'8" so if you are planning to walk under it it should be 7'0" leaving you 3'0" for the chandelier and chain.
  • User
    10 år siden
    What next?

Chandeliers in garages?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 år siden
    Yes maybe, if it's a part of the home and another room in itself.
  • Jamie W
    10 år siden
    Random, but I'm loving that wall color (the camel color). Do you know what color it is?
  • jncrobinson
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    It is a Behr paint. The color is Cardamom
  • Jamie W
    10 år siden
    Thank you very much!
  • jncrobinson
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks for the feedback. I have already bought it and had it installed, so I will have to make the best of it. I will however lower it to 7", unless someone wants to buy it! Lol
  • jncrobinson
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I meant 7'. Thanks everyone.
  • judygilpin
    10 år siden
    D A D'Souza......I've have a more rustic style chandelier hanging from a tree in my yard, But crystal in a backyard...how FABULOUS !!!!!! Love it. And to find it at Goodwill, even more fabulous.
  • eliwolf
    10 år siden
    I've seen chandeliers in chicken coops! Very fun! I think the website is, "Fancy Farm Girl".
  • Antoinette de Janasz Baxter
    10 år siden
    Can you tell me the manufacturer of the bathroom chandelier and where you bought it? It's just what I'm looking for!
  • jncrobinson
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    The manufacture is Triarch International . I bought it online through LampsLighting.com 888 428-3521. It is from the Jewelry Collection.
  • Marcia Daniel
    10 år siden
    I read somewhere that if you are in doubt, always make a chandelier too big for a space, never err in making it too small for a space. I've always lived by that rule and it's turned out great. Glad you decided to lower it.
  • sparky8888
    10 år siden
    i would wear a chandelier if possible!!
  • User
    10 år siden
    But of course, chandeliers are a must for your outdoor space!

How else can you see your garden gnomes at night?
  • PRO
    Cassandra Kreps Interiors
    10 år siden
    Rather than the bulk of the chandelier being on a horizontal level, I would suggest your chandelier be more on a vertical level. Because you have the height. The tip of the chandelier could even be as low as top of the door jam. That would be seven feet and unless you have giants living in your house, no one will be bothered by the height of the chandelier. Your home accessories are like finishing touches to the room and should be exciting and I always love to add something a little different, than the norm!
  • annholloway1
    10 år siden
    love the chandelier.....size looks fine....I work in an antique store with lots of fixtures and everyone asks about size and our rule of thumb is to add length and width together and this is the minimum diameter of the chandelier....for example a 10x10 room... add length and width =20...so minimum diameter would be 20 inches.....also we hang them 6'8" to 7' from floor....of course nothing set in stone....hope this helps.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 år siden
    Me too! I have a rustic one with candles in my tree over the patio!
  • jamespentland
    10 år siden
    Chandeliers in bathrooms are fab, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. If you have the room and the height go for it. I use them in the formal rooms and master bed (12 foot ceilings) and main en-suite bathroom. I then mix in with modern lighting in other rooms. General rules I use… Chandelier diameter: add width and length of room in feet, convert to inches. Chandelier height: a common rule is 2.5 to 3 inches for every foot of height for the room. Then I typically hang so the lowest crystal ball drop is 7 – 7.5 feet off the floor, or to a height where a 6’ person can reach and touch the lowest crystal drop. If the chandelier hangs directly over a table then you can go lower.
  • Rhodalynn
    10 år siden
    I love a chandelier in the bathroom. It doesn't look to large. And if you walk under it, you don't want it too low. Maybe you can lower it a bit if you can still walk under it. If you like it, keep it. Seeing it in person is different than a picture. I took the shades off of mine and I like it better that way. And yes, if I could put a chandelier in the garage, I would.
  • pearlmelba
    10 år siden
    Chandeliers love them or hate them
    They are here to stay
    I have one in my loo / bathroom
    My dinning room
    Landing
    About to put one in my kitchen
    And also have one outside with teacups and saucers
    In place of light bulbs
    Which hangs a over my rout iron garden table and chairs
    No garden gnomes were harmed during this comment
  • pearlmelba
    10 år siden
    And yes if I had a garage
    I would put in a chandelier
    So I could see when I put away push bike
  • pearlmelba
    10 år siden
    Work in progress lol
  • jncrobinson
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    You are too funny pearlmelba!
  • pearlmelba
    10 år siden
    It's a way of life !!!
    Life is to short no to be
    Many thanks for liking my chandier
    Still work in progress
    But nice to sit outside with sola butterfly lights and candles in my teacups
  • User
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    My bad!

I clearly see my error is definitional!

No longer is a chandelier defined only as a branched, decorative ceiling-mounted light fixture that are ornate, using dozens of lamps and complex arrays of glass or crystal prisms to illuminate a room with refracted light.

A chandelier is now defined as any branched, decorative light fixture that hangs from the ceiling [or tree or clothesline or rafter....]

However, I will keep my Shonbek Silver and Strass chandelier in my dining room, for the time being.

My garden gnomes each have their own flashlights!

MAKING A HOUSE A HOME · Mere information
  • pearlmelba
    10 år siden
    Last time I saw gnomes with flashlights they were committing a robbery !!!
    BTW. Aja. Fab dinning room
  • pearlmelba
    10 år siden
    Oh no I draw the line
    Hanging a chandelier. From a washing line
    This would leave no space to hang my DH 's Pants
  • pearlmelba
    10 år siden
    To see many uses for one object
    Is true imagination
    Some may not see this as so
    Others may draw inspiration from it
    What ever the case
    We are not all the same
  • User
    10 år siden
    Ha ha!!

Thank you, Pearlmelba!
  • Linda Anthony
    10 år siden
    removed one from grandmother's home (it's actually like a flat glass on a chain) and put it in 1833 farmhouse bath, with clasfoot tub and wainescoating. Get huge compliments on it. Also have chandeliers in smaller hallways and entry hall. LOVE them!
  • Linda Anthony
    10 år siden
    *clawfoot tub and wainscoting on walls
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.