jennifer_josof

Too much tan!

Jennifer Josof
6 år siden
My living room has not turned out to be really anything I wanted. Everything is tan! I really thought I could have a nice neutral space but it feels ugly. Painting and new furniture are not an option I just don't know what to do to make it look updated and new. Our pieces are decent, but there is one chair I regret buying. It's not all put together mainly because I just can't figure out what looks good.

(57) kommentarer

• Jennifer Josof
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    I'm going to try. The striped chair is heavy on yellow and blue, which I am not a fan of but I'm going to try the suggestions because recovering it won't be an option for A while. I honestly don't know what to look for that coordinates with the chair.
  • yvonnecmartin
    6 år siden

I like the darker curtains. However, they are a tad short. Do they have a hem that you could take out.

As for the striped chair, I see more blue than yellow. Perhaps some sofa pillows in that blue. You could also carry that color into a throw or art for the wall.

Your children's toys add nice color and a good feeling to the room.

• jansgirl
    6 år siden

You could use a better furniture layout. Don't do anything until you get your furniture into a position that makes sense. It's all different styles and it needs to be tied together better.

What is all that space behind the two chairs? A black table on one side. Can't tell what is on the other side. And between them is the? entry? Where the small shelves are. Or is it a hallway?

It might be the camera angle but it seems like your furniture is too far apart. Try moving the striped chair between the windows and angled slightly toward your sofa. You could use the small table currently there as a side table although it should be larger. Pull the other chair closer to the sofa also. Still angled as you have it. What do you think? Would you have room for a coffee table? You should have about 18" between table and furniture.

• decoenthusiaste
    6 år siden

GDF Studio Carlyle Fabric Storage Ottoman, Dark Teal Fabric · Mere information
    Don't write off the blue so quickly. That may be your ticket out of the overload of tan!

• Jennifer Josof
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    I don't even know where to start. I guess I'll start with curtains and work my way down. We have a few random pieces of accent furniture here and there but nothing too coordinating.
  • jansgirl
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

New pictures. Ok no, if you move the brown chair forward it blocks the entry into the dining, huh? hmmm

• jansgirl
    6 år siden

You never know when something you have will work perfect, Jennifer. I say add blue, too. Soft blue.........

• jansgirl
    6 år siden

I like lighter, panels also but not lacy or sheer. Hang them wider & higher as deco's picture shows. Your poles should be alright.

• Jennifer Josof
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    The room is the first when you enter. The living room and dining area are so close that they flow together so I've had to work with that. I have prints and paintings to hang A tall bookshelf that is darker wood that will somewhat break up all of the tan. I had planned to put that in between the windows.
    The darker black piece is bar storage that really just takes up space and looks like an accent piece lol. You all have given me great ideas. I've mapped out the room to try and see where furniture can be restructured.
  • Jennifer Josof
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    This is what I wish I had
  • jansgirl
    6 år siden

If you want this...think light. See? Blue pillows on the couch. You're half way there! Do you have another room for TV watching? A family room?

• Maricela Gomez
    6 år siden

Okay, I think white linen curtains (hung properly, as noted by decoenthusiaste) would really lighten the space and help get away from the tan. I swear by the LENDA curtains from IKEA. They are long and wide, super affordable ($25 for two panels), and good quality. If you do go with this option be super careful washing them (super cold water and hang dry... if not they will shrink about 5"-8"). Also, try to add a house plant ... it will bring life to the room and help clear the air.

Best of luck!

the curtains and house plant ... they just went a little overboard with the white.

• Jennifer Josof
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    I'm thinking I'll have to keep the rug, but maybe add a tuffed ottoman in gray or charcoal since there is a hint of gray in the pillows that go with the couch. If I do that with lighter curtains hung higher and the other suggestions of art & furniture restructure, etc it just might work out.
  • gustaruygers
    6 år siden
    Float the sofa on the wall with the two windows and a chair on either side facing each other. It will open up the room and gives you space for side tables, lamps or even a coffee table. Next is..art on the walls.
  • Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    6 år siden

Put a slip cover on the stripped chair. You may be able to find one at Boscov's.

• Jennifer Josof
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    @gustaruygers I like that idea, what do you suggest I do along the wall where the couch was if I move it to the window side.
  • elcee45
    6 år siden
    Hi Jennifer, Is that your foyer behind the chairs in picture number 4? If so, perhaps a large mirror to help reflect the light might help.
  • jansgirl
    6 år siden

If you move the sofa, one of your chairs will be taking it's place, Jennifer.

• oOamyOo _
    6 år siden
    Have you tried taking down the curtains? You already have blinds for privacy. It might give the space a more open and lighter appearance - the pic you posted of what you like doesn't have curtains.
  • gustaruygers
    6 år siden
    One of your chairs will be near that wall thus a small side table and a lamp. For that wall a striking oil or watercolor that instantly chases away the beige feeling you expressed.
  • jansgirl
    6 år siden

Try moving your furniture. and post pix.

• PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    6 år siden

Paint...or wallpaper. Consider grass cloth. Feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

• gustaruygers
    6 år siden
    Jennifer, try moving the furniture as I suggested and post pictures if you can.
  • Elena
    6 år siden

I'd paint the walls, change curtains and get rid of that stripe chair. Add couple of pictures and a house plant. :)

• Susan Davis
    6 år siden

Just a thought here! Take down the curtains and put the sofa centered on the window wall; it is the largest piece furniure in the room. Then put your two chairs where your sofa was with the black end table between them and find a brass lamp or mercury glass lamp for the black table....find a large storage type ottoman/cocktail table for the toy storage ro hold only toys that need to be in the room for play. Add two floor lamps on either side of the sofa or two end tables with lamps on them which ever works with little ones. Do enlarged family photos or child photos or vacation photos in black and white but poster size and put in poster frames. Wal Mart does poster sized pictures online; great economical service. The posters when framed and hung should take up 2/3 of the wall space and be hung 5 - 12 inches above the chair backs.

Add throw pillows in strong accent colors of blue and yellow and possibly grey or tan, which ever works or what ever accent color you want in the room....do one print one geometric pattern and one solid color.

Paint your foyer a pretty golden yellow or sea salt which is a grey blue or a tint of what ever contrast color you are using in the living room for conrast and a welcome feel when entering. Use all white cabinets, lamps, mirror frame in the foyer again for light then add a plant on the table for crispness.

Lastly if you feel you need them fabric Roman shades on the top of the windows hung from ceiling height in a pattern with your accent colors......just a suggestion.

This room has the elements but in different order......Three posters they can be large; end tables and lamp with tall lamp and low end table or tall end tabl and low lamp, chairs nex to each other with end table between, large soft ottoman. Roman shades on windows; again these are elements but you would choose in your color and design choices.....oh and pillows in all the colors in the prints.

Tan room, tan sofa and accents in chairs, prints, and pillows that are all in same color family but different values and strong colors like print. If print has soft colors you might want soft colors in pillows etc.

Michigan Summer Home · Mere information

• erinsean
    6 år siden

Just a note.....use those furniture movers....the plastic round ones....put them under the legs of the chair, sofa or chest and you will be able to move all yourself. You see them advertised on TV and I got mine at Lowes...Handiest things I have every used.

• groveraxle
    6 år siden

Do not put a tall bookcase between the windows. It will just be cramped and make the room feel oppressive.

• groveraxle
    6 år siden

Try this arrangement, except square the chair up against the wall.

Embrace the brown. Add some gold and black. Try natural linen curtains. Get some dramatic art.

• groveraxle
    6 år siden

Gallery Direct Fine Art Prints: Get Out Ii by Judy Paul · Mere information

• Jennifer Josof
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Well, I have made a few adjustments. Not major ones and nothing is complete. As you see in the photos I'm still playing around with furniture, decor and placement. We are hesitant to move the couch in front of the windows because our son loves to look out the windows & sometimes it gives me a breather. I had added a bookshelf before the recommendation not to
  • Jennifer Josof
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    For some reason it left off half of the post. Could the bookshelf and the big brown chair trade spaces with each square against the wall? Curtains aren't complete that may take a while & we have a large gray storage ottoman with a shelf underneath for the center of the rug.
  • groveraxle
    6 år siden

This is a small room and it already has too much furniture. You also have an unfortunate traffic pattern right through the middle of the seating area.

I'd like to see whichever chair is smaller go against the wall between the windows. To do that, you'll need to pull the sofa and rug to the left so the chair and sofa don't overlap. They should meet at the corner of the arms. The end table can go in the corner space between them.

Then perhaps the bookcase will fit flat against the wall where the chair was.

Unless you love that canvas, I would return it. It looks like a swamp, kinda gloomy. The size looks good, but I'm sure you can find something more lively.

• groveraxle
    6 år siden

Art from Kirkland's, $80:

From Ikea, $50:

• Jennifer Josof
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Yeah that's a lot better. The painting was gifted to us by my mother in law. Not my favorite
  • jansgirl
    6 år siden

Remember this? Stay light.

And everyone should have the sliders erinsean talked about. Lifesavers. I seriously moved big cupboards alone w/ these.

• Jennifer Josof
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Baby steps
  • decoenthusiaste
    6 år siden

Is that bench to be your accent color? I was thinking the blue from the striped chair should be continued. Glad to see the collegiate ladder shelf gone - they are way dated and speak of our immature decorating phase when first starting out. I still want to see that large drop leaf desk (or whatever it is) move from behind the chair to between your windows. Then hang a piece of art 75% of its width 3-5" above it. You need some visual weight there. Your chunky furniture needs pieces with heft, not skinny legged tables. Be brave and take big girl steps!

• jansgirl
    6 år siden

Jennifer, I'm not quite sure why you are asking for help when I don't see you trying anything that is suggested.

• User
    6 år siden

Jansgirl she has said she is planning to try a whole bunch of things.

She probably has a job and kids. She will get to it when she can.

• jansgirl
    6 år siden

Sorry if I sound impatient. I've seen numerous good suggestions for better furniture placement (which is the first issue here) yet I've not seen any of them tried. Instead bookcases and more accent furniture is carried into the room--getting even further from Jennifer's posted inspiration photo.

• decoenthusiaste
    6 år siden

Well, pushing, shoving and trying out things is the way to get it done, and she says she has no help at home. Maybe she can hire a high schooler now that its summer.

• jansgirl
    6 år siden

Seriously, The plastic furniture sliders you can pick up at any Walmart are any woman's best friend. $20.

• katinparadise
    6 år siden

Jansgirl, an inspiration photo is just that-it's meant to inspire but unless one has an unlimited amount of time and budget, it's not necessarily something that has to be copied exactly. I think Jennifer is trying her best and some people need to make changes and study them for a while to decide if they work for them. I bought 2 different faucets for my new bathroom before I decided which worked best. Let's give her credit for the changes she has made so far and I'm sure she'll get there. We all don't work at the same pace.

• Susan Davis
    6 år siden

I looked at your idea book and both pics have the sofa in front of the windows; good luck with you plans and ideas.

• Jennifer Josof
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    @jansgirl I ordered the furniture movers on amazon and I don't have them yet. I'd rather not scratch the hardwood by trying to move furniture without them. The things I added were brought to my house by my mother in law so for the sake of not being rude I'm trying them out. It's clear you have a better eye for design than I do, so I am planning on trying everyone's ideas but I don't have the time or money to do it all in one week.
  • jansgirl
    6 år siden

Oh good, Jennifer. The sliders will make your life easier. I've used them on wood floors carpet and even concrete. I must have missed the post about your MIL's things and of course you would try them. Your inspiration photo shows a light room and I felt that so much that was coming in was dark-not light like your inspiration. I'm rather aware we are not trying to copy the inspiration photo-- as you could do that on your own-- but pulling your room closer to your vision. I owned a shop for 20 years that sold furniture so for me to move a chair is nothing. Hope you end up with something you like.

• decoenthusiaste
    6 år siden

Meanwhile, you can use the bottoms off of plastic juice and milk jugs, or just plain bath towels will work as sliders too.

• User
    6 år siden
    Hi

@groveraxle try having the sofa go against the windows and the chairs on the sides. I know the sofa is wider the wall but I would like to see how it looks especially with the coffee table
  • PRO
    Bon Brise Design, Inc.
    6 år siden

Firstly, the best change you can make will be to your layout! Try something like this:

We understand you may not love the idea of your sofa in front of your window, but at least give it a try and see the difference it makes to the flow and feeling of your whole room.

We love the suggestion to continue bringing in blue throughout your space--patterned pillows are a great way to do this. Your drapes should also be hung closer to the ceiling. Try to avoid sheer or lace fabric for them, purchase something a bit more substantive.

If you can afford to purchase a new rug, we recommend finding something with a mild pattern, closer to what's in the inspiration photo you shared.

Good luck!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.