christianbuildersltd

Elderly Lady's Bathroom Remodelled to become a much safer Environment!

Each project of ours is completely different, and they come in all shapes and sizes!

One of longest returning, elderly clients had a fall in her bathroom, which could have had a devastating ending - however, she made a full recovery but decided that something needed to be done to her original bathroom to make life easier. She had a fall out of the bath, so we resolved the issue by putting in a walk-in shower with an anti-slip Vinyl flooring.

The original bathroom was dark, dated and very tired. We made the space brighter, more spacious and much easier to maintain. Grab handles were installed by the WC and shower, Age Concern sell a specific shower seat, which is practical and still stylish! A new vanity unit with basin, meant more storage space as well as a mirrored cabinet above. The WC height was raised so it is easier to get on and off. The post rolled, anti-slip Vinyl flooring is an ideal material for the flooring in such a space. Porcelain tiles on the walls make the space look a lot brighter and bigger! The limestone shelf adds a touch of luxury as well as providing more space for storage. Underfloor heating was installed which adds a nice touch to the room. LED lighting means the space is a lot brighter than before, and along with easy-read writing on the sanitary-ware it means that the client can easily see everything she needs to!

The room is much more user friendly and the client is now very happy!

Before:

After:

Redesigned Bathroom for Elderly Client · Mere information

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

(21) kommentarer

• PRO
    BigBathroomShop
    6 år siden

What a transformation, looks great!

Christian Builders Margate Ltd thanked BigBathroomShop
  • Laura Thomas
    6 år siden
    Great transformation!

Our house has a bathroom with grab rails and seat in shower that was put in for previous occupant - wish it was this stylish and clean looking.
    Christian Builders Margate Ltd thanked Laura Thomas
  • Sonia
    6 år siden
    Fantastic. Looks really smart. We wanted to do the same for our elderly mum, but she just wouldn't have it. She hated change and refused to let us fit a walk in shower. She couldn't get out of the bath one day and luckily my sister found her and called for help. Poor mum. I've since fitted a shower in my bathroom so that never happens to me!
    Christian Builders Margate Ltd thanked Sonia
  • PRO
    Christian Builders Margate Ltd
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thank you Forzaitalia! That is such a shame that you could not persuade your mum. I know it is always tricky with people of that generation but so worth it in the end! Welldone on the forward planning!

• PRO
    LUSSO
    6 år siden

Great job!

Christian Builders Margate Ltd thanked LUSSO
  • turquoisetree53
    6 år siden

Another useful idea - is a sensor light for when you walk in to the room.

Also electric towel rail ( which works independently of c heating ) with easy to use ie accessible turn on turn off switch, and time programming.

non-slip shower floor

extendable or accessible magnified mirror for makeup.

• Elizabeth Jones
    6 år siden
    I think it's extremely practical, but to my eyes, very cold and impersonal. Perhaps smaller wall tiles, the use of colour? I'm on the road to elderly, but I do like streamlined, but for atmosphere , colour, and not only in towels etc, is necessary.
    Christian Builders Margate Ltd thanked Elizabeth Jones
  • Pauline cotton
    6 år siden
    Lovely bathroom but not keen on concealed cisterns because of the potential for unseen leakage until it's too late, also it seems to me that the toilet protrudes too much into the walk space when exiting the shower.
    Christian Builders Margate Ltd thanked Pauline cotton
  • Heidi Cullen
    6 år siden

The original bathroom does remind me of my grandparents' very cold in/out house. I hated going into it. The new bathroom looks amazing. Is the shower seat bolted down? Put some lovely coloured accessories and a plant or two and it will really come to life x

Christian Builders Margate Ltd thanked Heidi Cullen
  • milvus
    6 år siden

Lovely to see a retrofit considering the less able-bodied which doesn't look cheap, overdosed on chunky white plastic and utterly depressing. These considerations should be a matter of course in every new build and renovation project.

Christian Builders Margate Ltd thanked milvus
  • turquoisetree53
    6 år siden

Independent living is the ambition for us all, and the more clever aids that can be made use off BEFORE the accident happens the better.

I think the idea of a decent shelf surface (no bending to under-sink cupboards) was a great idea. However, to be critical - (from the photo angle) it doesn'tt look like the most has been made of the wc set up. It looks too close to the sink. It's still looks too low; and from the pic, it looks like there isn't great space around it - so later on there can supports either side coming out from the wall for your arms to help getting up from the loo. In fact, from what I've learned, ideally you want to have vertical grab handles either side of the shower entrance.

Additonally, I know it's all the fashion, but I really cannot understand this fad for building in toilet flushes etc behind the tiles so it's a huge disruption when there's plumbing problems. Let's face it, they always go wrong. I wish there was a whole new approach to design of stylish wc units which can be changed more easily, which can be adapted, made higher etc as needs change.

Christian Builders Margate Ltd thanked turquoisetree53
  • PRO
    Christian Builders Margate Ltd
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Hello All,

Thank you for all your comments! It's great to see how important these factors are to people (especially as this 'Old Age' shenanigans will be experienced by all one day!)

With regard to the height of the toilet - the lady in question is in her late eighties, and we worked with her at each stage of the remodel, she tested the height of the toilet to make sure it was exactly where she wanted it and where she felt comfortable (the same with the grab handles). We also put the basin on a reinforced frame, so that she can use that as support, if needed. I think it must be the angle of the photograph as there is plenty of room to manoeuvre between the WC and the shower screen.

Concealed cisterns are great for a project like this as they are such a space saving design. Using a reliable and recommended brand such as Gerberit puts your mind at ease that nothing should go wrong - especially if you use skilled plumber/tradesmen. Obviously nothing is perfect, which is why if anything should (and it is rare that it does go wrong) they come with a 25 year guarantee. You will also find that a maintenance hatch might be useful, and cause less stress if anything should go wrong. We have been fitting these types of systems for well over 20 years now and (*touch wood*) have not had a single problem!

Importantly - Concealed cisterns and wall hung WC's provide the ideal easy-to-clean, and extremely hygienic surface. There are no obstacles to clean around or cisterns to clean under, just uninterrupted floor space, which can be cleaned easily in one go!

For a project like this, one of the biggest advantages of concealed cisterns that are coupled with wall-hung WC's is that the user can adjust the height of the toilet to suit their particular height requirements. So often, floor-standing toilets don’t accommodate very tall, short or elderly individuals, making them uncomfortable to use.

Other advantages are, of course, aesthetics, noise reduction, environmentally friendly, they can take more weight and are therefore stronger, you have a lot more design freedom in planning a space, finally they are state of the art, and more durable nowadays.

The shower seat is not fixed, so she is able to move this in and out with ease!

Having lived with the original bathroom for about 50 years our client wanted a change! She wanted a very clean, modern, bright, and un-cluttered space. She didn't want anything on show, and wanted to walk in to a serene and soothing space! She has a lovely vase of bright flowers on the window sill, as a finishing touch and that's as far as the 'accessories' go (I did spot some orange towels, so that gives a splash of colour!) But, as always, design is each to their own!

Thanks again for all your comments, this project was a first for us regarding the clientele and we learn more from each and every one.

Holly @ MillChris Developments Ltd

• Heidi Cullen
    6 år siden

As you said it comes to us all eventually. Thank you for the great answer to all our questions and comments. I would have to invest in a fixed seat if I had this, as my balance problems would send the seat flying. I wish they did more colourful products for us though. Everything is either white, black or grey and so depressing. Some company somewhere will do very well if they liven these products up and don't charge the earth x

Christian Builders Margate Ltd thanked Heidi Cullen
  • PRO
    bubbles bathrooms and tiles
    6 år siden

The change in layout works really well, so much brighter!

Christian Builders Margate Ltd thanked bubbles bathrooms and tiles
  • turquoisetree53
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

I appreciate the reasoning and 'defence' of wall-hung wc's by MillChris. Very interesting. Thanks.

• PRO
    Kia Designs
    6 år siden

Its great to see an accessible bathroom that has been designed well, and doesn't look too clinical

Christian Builders Margate Ltd thanked Kia Designs
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 år siden

This is brilliant, so practical. I did this for my dad's bathroom about 8 months ago and it can't be overstated how important it is. Apologies in advance......he has dementia and as it progressed he needed help in the bathroom. A re-design meant that a carer could be in there with a walking frame too. The changes in his bathroom meant that we were able to keep him at home until the very last minute. He is now in an amazing nursing home and needs round the clock care. According to an Occupational Therapist I know, these issues are the very thing that can mean an older person needs to leave their home so it is important to put things in place in advance. Another suggestion would may be to have the door opening outwards?

Christian Builders Margate Ltd thanked Juliet Docherty
  • PRO
    User
    6 år siden

Handle for the toilet and a walk in shower must surely make a huge difference for her! Very nice, modern and bright. Well done!

Christian Builders Margate Ltd thanked User
  • Sonia
    6 år siden
    Oh colourhappy I know how you feel. My mum developed dementia and her home was totally unsuitable for her needs, but she stubbornly would not have any changes made. Sad thing is my brother was a builder and he would have done all the work! Eventually she kept having falls and would be taken to hospital, then one day she left the grill on all night and had collapsed from the fumes (she slept downstairs) so it was no longer safe at home. She also went into a great care home and thrived there. She passed away in her sleep a year ago.
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 år siden

Thank you Forzaitalia. You must be relieved and I wish the same for my dad. :)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.